Forums > Kitesurfing General

Hamelin Bay WA Kitesurfing

Created by Liesl > 9 months ago, 27 Oct 2013
Liesl
QLD, 1 posts
27 Oct 2013 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

Hi there, does anyone know if Hamelin bay has good Kiting in December? I'm flying over from qld for xmas there and don't know if I should take my 7 or 9m kite. Any hot tips?

NickT
WA, 1094 posts
27 Oct 2013 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Bring both in a vacuum bag.

ADS
WA, 365 posts
27 Oct 2013 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

Boranup, can be epic on it's day - surfing and kite.
Head North a few k's up the beach from the Caravan Park.
Take both your kites.

Munga
WA, 89 posts
27 Oct 2013 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

Beautiful spot to stay at, great fishing and perfect for young kids, kite surfing not so good. If it's SW and you have a decent 4wd (track in can be challenging) you can hit the northern part of bay, don't expect to kiting with a crew, the beach will be all yours.

If there are strong easterlies you are only 20 mins from Augusta where there is something for all kiting styles. Normally the strong easterlies are not prevalent until Feb however you maybe lucky.

Marg's will have plenty of wind in Dec, if you know what you are doing :), approx 40 min drive from Hamelin Bay.

I would bring both kites, Hamlin Bay is stunning, hope you enjoy your holiday...

mazdon
1196 posts
27 Oct 2013 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

+1 on bringing both
+1 on augusta - you'll probably spend mornings in hamelin bay, swim/snorkel (if lucky you'll get a swell for boranup, but don't count on it at chrissey), and then arvo's in augusta since it is only 15 min away.

an extra note about wind in hamelin bay - you usually get a lighter SWer then what is getting read at margs or cape naturaliste, and the wind can be a bit flukey at times, so you'd want your 9 most times i reckon. augusta will be 25kn SE, margs will be 25 kn SW, and both lit on your 7m; and hamelin bay is kind of in the middle of them and will be 15kn SW because it transitions a bit somehow around there. around the north end of the bay is still one of my favourite spots to kite when it is on... enjoy your stay - bring snorkel and flippers to swim with the rays!

FromSAtoAus
WA, 43 posts
28 Oct 2013 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Love it, love it, love it. Surf, dive in morning then take tired kiddies home and kite in the arvo. 9m if TT and 7m if SB. Hot tip: great DW from Hamelin to far North of Boranyup - you will be bashing waves in turquoise water with only rays to watch your moves. WA, ain't nothing like it!

jl
QLD, 114 posts
28 Oct 2013 11:12PM
Thumbs Up

Here is a snap at Boranup a few years ago to help you get excited. This is about as busy as it gets! If you have to take one kite take your 9m. The seabreeze is offshore at Hamelin, you will have to walk up the beach a bit. Or go back out onto caves road and take the 4wd track in.

DelFuego
WA, 213 posts
29 Oct 2013 8:28AM
Thumbs Up

bring both kites
and a fly net, cause the flys can carry a small child away

drewmouli
WA, 66 posts
30 Oct 2013 1:11PM
Thumbs Up

Its an epic spot, But you will need a semi decent 4x4 to drive in from caves road on Bobs Track. Its rough and bushes on the sides will scratch your paint. Which is warned by the sign covered in bogan writing at the entrance. You will want to drive up the beach towards Quoin rock. It does get some days with some decent swell. I have noted that the SW there is gusty and some times very temperamental leaving me with a downed kite off shore in the past.

Beautiful uncrowded place, would recommend a 9 or a 12 at that time of year. Other wise Augusta is just down the road and will suit anyone's styles with both flat water and surf.

westhammer
WA, 504 posts
30 Oct 2013 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

It was uncrowded^^^^ not no more,,anywhere else we can share!

Monkers
WA, 258 posts
30 Oct 2013 4:32PM
Thumbs Up

be happy to share that spot .. there is seriously never anyone there ... no point kiting if there is kiting is no one to watch you ha ha I don't think the Euro's are willing to take on Bobs track with their campervans... enjoy !!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Hamelin Bay WA Kitesurfing" started by Liesl