Forums > Kitesurfing General

How much does it cost to open a kite shop?

Created by Loftywinds > 9 months ago, 2 May 2014
Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
2 May 2014 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

How much would it cost to start one up?

Obviously you'll need a business plan, a loan's process, insurance, registration, etc etc.

I imagine it would be around $50K for starters, and that's just the deposit?

Plus business relationships with suppliers, marketing and advertising to say the least.

Your thoughts?

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
2 May 2014 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

easier to support one that is already operating.

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
2 May 2014 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

I couldn't tell you, but I reckon if you've got that much money laying around, pay off the mortgage, invest, buy that top of the wozz 4WD, go on a round the world kite trip, do ANYTHING but buy a kite shop....just seems like a great way to burn a hole in whole lot of cash FWIW....

Slashrockson
NSW, 126 posts
2 May 2014 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

TOO much in the current economic climate. Thats why there's not a kite shop on every corner. The one's that are operating wouldn't be doing it for the money, it's just not there.

Think how many customers have to come through the door EACH day and buy something worth $???? to just cover the overheads of rent, insurance, staff costs, compliance **, electricity, advertising etc, etc, the list goes on and on and hoping at the end of the month you have covered all your overheads and a little bit more to maybe enjoy a bit of profit, which you will probably roll back into the business anyway to try for a better return.

You've got to support the local shops like KP that have a go and provide a very good service and support the industry, they make life easier and are very convenient for getting bits and pieces, spares, demo's etc Try and get something overnight from the internet.

I say good luck to anyone that has a good go putting everything on the line to run a small business.

laurie
WA, 3848 posts
2 May 2014 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hear about the farmer who won a million dollars in the lotto?

A TV interviewer asked him what he would do with the money.

He replies "I'll just keep farming until it runs out...."

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
2 May 2014 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laurie said..

... hey,,, eddiemorgs,,,, is that what you would do,,, with your million???

2 May 2014 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Loftywinds said..

How much would it cost to start one up?

Obviously you'll need a business plan, a loan's process, insurance, registration, etc etc.

I imagine it would be around $50K for starters, and that's just the deposit?

Plus business relationships with suppliers, marketing and advertising to say the least.

Your thoughts?

You could probably put in any amount between 10 grand and a million, but the better question would be what does it take to not only start one but make it a success.
Something like 80% of new small businesses fail within the first 2 years, and within 5 years that jumps to over 90%, thats a very sobering statistic.
I started KP 21 years ago with around 8K, critical factors in my success, were my age, timing, passion, my partner, her passion and committment to support me, our kids, the relationships I built with people like Rob from Ground Zero kites, Bob Dawson (deceased) and Mike Richards (Kite Site/Kite Magic) Chris Robson of Windspeed Kites, Neil Taylor of HTL, Phil and Annie McConachie in the pre kitesurf days - they gave me, support, credit and extended terms, and in Bob Dawson's case, so much more, that it would be hard to describe here. Once kitesurfing started, we had already built up a substantial kitty of stock and experience, but had to reinvest every spare cent we earned from the business. One supplier really helped, Greg Johns from Windgenuity, and then later Best, then Adrian Roper and Undergound and after that Neil Pryde (Cabrinha). All these relationships and suppliers trust in us were crucial, and we have extended that trust and help as much as possible to our team and employees. Some relationships have endured, others have not for various reasons, but all are still remembered with gratitude. Family is still a huge part of our ongoing ability to keep growing, as is the awesome team that we have a symbiotic relationship with!

Have a go, but make sure you have a ton of passion and when the going gets tough, tighten your belt, live on next to nothing and keep smiling and serving!

bmod
NSW, 17 posts
3 May 2014 1:25AM
Thumbs Up

That's quite a list of Australian kiting legends there. None of them made much out of kiting, but such passion for it and always having a blast. You wouldn't believe the amazing gear you can dig out the back of the shed of some of these guys. Like every cent was channeled back into some obscure way to chase the wind. Kite boarding has come to so completely dominate, all the other more subtle forms of flying have almost been forgotten. Which I completely understand, once you taste kitesurfing it always comes first, but these guys would try, make and fly anything they could imagine.
The point being: its not the kind of career you choose because you can earn a living from it, more like you sacrfice everything else to be fully immersed in kiting.

Sylk
WA, 215 posts
2 May 2014 11:52PM
Thumbs Up

If you need to ask that sort of question on this forum and haven't done the math IE calculate the cost of stock and other business expenses then perhaps you should look to another profession.

MDSXR6T
WA, 1019 posts
3 May 2014 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

I reckon you'd need a minimum of 250k to have around 200-300sqm in a decent location (beach or river side suburb) that might be heading towards breaking even or profitable within a year or 2.

100k for a store fit out (POS and computers, lighting, shelving / displays, counters, painting etc), 100k or so in opening stock from good distributors who have helped with good trading terms so customers have a good selection of products and dont have to order and wait for it . Another 50k+ towards staff and business costs. Then the greedy land lord puts the rent up.

The tennants who took over my lease spent 42k alone in repainting their new shop a few weeks ago and even then it was only 1100sqm

It might sound like a good idea but I really can't see a kite shop being a good investment. You'd need far more kiters with disposable incomes which isn't happening in WA. Times are tough so everyone wants to save money... online we go.

Taurus
VIC, 189 posts
3 May 2014 2:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MDSXR6T said..
Then the greedy land lord puts the rent up.

Then the greedy kiteshop puts the price of kites up.

MDSXR6T
WA, 1019 posts
3 May 2014 12:35AM
Thumbs Up

Kiteshop can't afford to wear the costs so of course the price of gear goes up. Kiteshop still makes the same money as before but aussie kiter thinks "fark this bloke is ripping me off"

If the kiteshop closes down, the distributor then looses money and is forced to recover some costs so the wholesale prices then go up.. Customers reaction is still the same.

I think the future is the big boys (ripcurl, billabong shops etc) carrying kiting gear.

richierich
NSW, 226 posts
3 May 2014 8:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MDSXR6T said..

I think the future is the big boys (ripcurl, billabong shops etc) carrying kiting gear.

i don't see this happening...they're having enough trouble at the moment staying afloat in an industry that they know. They don't want to fuss with a fringe sport like kiting.

Ercorn
QLD, 199 posts
3 May 2014 8:34AM
Thumbs Up

Really easy to make a success of a kiteshop, differeniate from others in the industry and provide good old fashion customer service.

Plummet
4862 posts
3 May 2014 9:25AM
Thumbs Up

kiteshop in a van? buy a cheap van and park up at the windiest place?

NoBS
WA, 908 posts
3 May 2014 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

I bet if you took 10 kiteshops in perth and asked them who wants to sell..

8 of them would

You know they are going downhill when the stock starts to dwindle, and the same boards/kites have been in the shop for 2-3 years running.

And they start doing wacky stuff to get people in the door.

Drury
NSW, 502 posts
3 May 2014 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Plummet said..

Not exactly uncommon and it definitely doesn't help the retail prices from bigger brands as you start getting the market saturated with crap kites and crap service. Make friends with your local shop and your prices are going to be similar to anywhere else in the world. It's all relative. Coming from North America I can tell you that the cost of living is SO much lower there and so are the earnings. I don't find things (kite gear included) to be RELATIVELY more expensive in this country.

Until you work in a kite shop you really don't understand that there isn't a ton of money being made here. You like to make out as though the shop owners are big bad businessmen trying to rape you for every cent you have and it simply isn't the case. Without bricks and mortar kite shops this sport would still be the back alley industry it used to be with sub par gear, little innovation, and no support!

Rattlehead
QLD, 555 posts
3 May 2014 1:19PM
Thumbs Up

Mate of mine used to own a dive shop , he had a running joke that the only way to make 1 million dollars out of a dive shop was to start off with 2 million dollars then go out and set up a dive shop.

Plummet
4862 posts
3 May 2014 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Drury said..

Plummet said..

You like to make out as though the shop owners are big bad businessmen trying to rape you for every cent you have and it simply isn't the case. !

Well actually I think the exact opposite to this. I think most kite shop owners are dedicated passionate kiters. The downfall to many of them is that they are not businessmen and salesmen.

PenKite
VIC, 29 posts
3 May 2014 1:35PM
Thumbs Up

Time will only tell for us after starting a school toward the end of 2010 with a three kite quiver. To grow from there with no capital requires, as KP said, a huge amount of passion, not to mention 100% focus & commitment. From there i grew the school to include more kit, another car & a trailer before opening a tiny shop just over 18 months ago & recently moving into a bigger store. Good relationships with your customers & suppliers on top of passion & 100% commitment helps.
Borrowing to start a kite shop from scratch is risky, debt tightens the noose around your neck & will sink you quickly. It's a tough business but if you love it that much you're willing to risk everything then go for it. Only time will tell if we survive the coming years & only local support of kite shops will guarantee your local keeps it's doors open for that good old customer service people still want from time to time.

Drury
NSW, 502 posts
3 May 2014 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Plummet said..

Drury said..

Plummet said..

You like to make out as though the shop owners are big bad businessmen trying to rape you for every cent you have and it simply isn't the case. !

Well actually I think the exact opposite to this. I think most kite shop owners are dedicated passionate kiters. The downfall to many of them is that they are not businessmen and salesmen.

I'm going off most everything else I've read from you.

Plummet
4862 posts
3 May 2014 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Drury said..

I'm going off most everything else I've read from you.

I've tried to explain on several occasions the methodology that could used to make a kiteshop more successful. For the most part my statements are misunderstood.

eddiemorgs
QLD, 390 posts
3 May 2014 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Puetz said..

laurie said..

No mate . I would use the million bucks to pay down debt and lease the farm - let someone else take the risk and receive the income .

Then move to Darwin and get a job which allows me to kitesurf by choice .

And then move to Nias Indonesia to work as a volunteer .

And not stay on the farm

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
3 May 2014 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MDSXR6T said..

The tennants who took over my lease spent 42k alone in repainting their new shop a few weeks ago and even then it was only 1100sqm

I.

Holy sh1t, what the hell was the paint made from? Next time they need some work done make sure they give me a call

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
3 May 2014 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eddiemorgs said..
Puetz said..

laurie said..

No mate . I would use the million bucks to pay down debt and lease the farm - let someone else take the risk and receive the income .

Then move to Darwin and get a job which allows me to kitesurf by choice .

And then move to Nias Indonesia to work as a volunteer .And not stay on the farm

... teehee, that story sounds familiar. I think you better update your forum profile thingys location then!

towradgi
NSW, 425 posts
3 May 2014 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rattlehead said...
Mate of mine used to own a dive shop , he had a running joke that the only way to make 1 million dollars out of a dive shop was to start off with 2 million dollars then go out and set up a dive shop.

That stems from Richard Bransons running joke....How do you become a millionaire? A billionaire starts up an airline !

Scrubes
VIC, 115 posts
3 May 2014 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

Plus you would have to be happy not kiting on the best days as the shop would need to be open

Scrubes
VIC, 115 posts
3 May 2014 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

Plus you would have to be happy not kiting on the best days as the shop would need to be open

craggers
WA, 475 posts
3 May 2014 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

$50k wont even get you in the door on a lease on a place. 'Greedy landlords' are only the next step in the chain of people trying to get ahead in the economic environment they exist in. They are beholden to the greedy banks, who are obliged to their greedy shareholders... who is you if you take 15 mins to jump online and buy some shares.

Freddofrog
WA, 522 posts
3 May 2014 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

I looked into buying a long established shop about 5-6 years back. Decided against it because essentially I don't liike dealing with the public. I think it takes a certain individual to work in retail, whatever the product or market sector.

Rob S
VIC, 391 posts
3 May 2014 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
craggers said..

$50k wont even get you in the door on a lease on a place. 'Greedy landlords' are only the next step in the chain of people trying to get ahead in the economic environment they exist in. They are beholden to the greedy banks, who are obliged to their greedy shareholders... who is you if you take 15 mins to jump online and buy some shares.

" greedy shareholders! " I 'resemble' that remark! G'day Craig ;-)

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"How much does it cost to open a kite shop?" started by Loftywinds