Forums > Kitesurfing General

How to fix knees

Created by wishy > 9 months ago, 17 Feb 2010
wishy
WA, 1501 posts
17 Feb 2010 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

Just wondering how to fix my knees quickly now that i've had my first awesome crash. They didn't seem too bad afterwards and I even kept riding for a while, the next day and two days later still it hurts to walk and I can't straighten my legs without pain.

I basically landed with them folded underneath me from quite high up and then the kite ripped me forwards with the board digging into the water as per the picture below.

Just wondering if anyone has some good physio exercises/drugs/etc they can recommend.

superlizard
VIC, 702 posts
17 Feb 2010 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

i thought your ears would have provided sufficient drag to slow you down

p.s. go see a good doctor... don't mess with the knees...

deXtrous
NSW, 451 posts
17 Feb 2010 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

If it's drugs you wanted you should've just asked....

koma
VIC, 760 posts
17 Feb 2010 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

I get a bit of knee ache after each hard session but it almost always subsides in 24-48 hours. If it's a specific pain not just a general ache then off to the doctor you go!

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
17 Feb 2010 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

deXtrous said...

If it's drugs you wanted you should've just asked....

Looking at the drawing, I'm pretty sure he already has some good drugs

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
17 Feb 2010 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

First up, awesome picture. There should be a seabreeze gallery for such works of art. As for your knees:

There may not be a quick fix. Connective tissues including tendons, ligaments and cartilage have minimal circulation (think white gristle, as contrasted with the red meat of muscle) and so the healing process takes longer than for muscles or bones.

If there is just minor tearing and strain then there's no need for surgery. Just exercise the joints lightly within your comfortable range of motion and eat and rest well.

If there is significant tearing then surgery to reconnect the torn tissue will accelerate healing and give a better final result than letting your body try to sort out an arrangement with what little connections remain.

If it feels better in a few days then it's probably minor. If not, then an x-ray and skilled examination will tell you more.

Good luck.

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
17 Feb 2010 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

Use fish oil. for some odd reason it helps my knees recover after heavy sessions

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1877 posts
17 Feb 2010 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

Wishy

Its all about KARMA dude... the pic shows you doing your first huge jump & pissing yourself and probably on other kiters coming the other way - yeah karma lol

Since its been a few days... get in the tub (or spa) with the water as hot as you can stand it and do your stretches in there. The hot water as well as neutral fluid enviroment - hightens your bodies nerve system to the max through that area as well as relaxing your muscle & ligaments for a more pliable effect.

Remember pain is your best friend without it, you would have no stimulus for the body to repair itself.. now HTFU (afterwards ) and jump higher - it gives you more time to saught out a crash landing plan

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
17 Feb 2010 12:28PM
Thumbs Up

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
17 Feb 2010 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

ice pack, rest and an anti-inflammatory with food for starters
see a doctor if pain persists

maybe ask the mogul skiers in vancouver how they get their knees better. mine hurt just watching it?

Danger Mouse
WA, 592 posts
17 Feb 2010 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

Saffer said...

Use fish oil. for some odd reason it helps my knees recover after heavy sessions

That's because fish oil is a natural anit-inflamatory Saffer.

Also agree with the Glucosamine Chondroitin, I take this too and have found it helped a lot after having to have orthoscopic surgery on my medial miniscus in one of my knees.

D

stabber
NSW, 1114 posts
17 Feb 2010 5:03PM
Thumbs Up

massages help.... especially if they have happy endings!

Smedg
NSW, 836 posts
17 Feb 2010 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

When i got sore knees from too much kiting and the wind starts cranking so i just have to go again, my best friend is voltarin rapid (25mg) takes all the pain away for me. I also take fish oil (meant to have like 12 1000mg capsuals a day for it to have a noticable anti inflamitory affect according to the last chemist selling it to me... Staffer may disagree though..) Also Glucosamine chondroidant stuff apparently takes months to work. more like an ongoing treatment. glucosa bit is to replenish whats getting worn out and condroy bit is to help it stick there better. If u have inflamation anti inflammatories ice elevation and taking it easy are the way to go. If you think that you've got more than something fixed by these maintainance measures its worth being checked out. Lizard really said it all better and much shorter than me

ps that pic is awesome. can i suggest you provide the tech drawing for marcus's next backyard project.

StinkyPete
WA, 241 posts
17 Feb 2010 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

Medicinal Herb!!

Scrotus
SA, 117 posts
17 Feb 2010 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

The flaxseed or fish oil is good along with glucosamine which will help repair your joints. I started taking it when I had a kiting accident and ended up in a carpark. I noticed it came good faster after i started taking it. I still take it now to try to prevent injury.

Polupoluu
41 posts
17 Feb 2010 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

Well my friend , if that drawing is anything to go by you have a lot more to worry about than your knees!! With chompers like that You must be the only guy in NSW that could eat an apple through a picket fence To make matters worse you have what appears to be Rings on your knees!! this could explain a bit....

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
17 Feb 2010 11:35PM
Thumbs Up

And maybe I wasn't clear so just in case, don't rub fish oil on it, take fish oil capsules.

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
17 Feb 2010 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

So I took one of your advice and took voltaren. Anyone just starting to get good at hurting themself should seriously talk to their doctor about voltaren...awesome stuff. OMFG.

Mister Dugong
368 posts
18 Feb 2010 12:02AM
Thumbs Up

everything that everyone else

and yoga
it gets the blood to the connective tissue

little o
WA, 405 posts
18 Feb 2010 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

ice first 24 hrs - 20 mins on then off
then heat next 48- 20 mins on then off

if its a sharp pain = bad = doctor time

if it's a dull ache = needs time to recover before you go out.........2 weeks

nothing worse than a reoccuring injury

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
18 Feb 2010 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

wishy said...

So I took one of your advice and took voltaren. Anyone just starting to get good at hurting themself should seriously talk to their doctor about voltaren...awesome stuff. OMFG.

Be weary of taking Voltaren on a regular basis. Its not very good for your stomach. Take it too often and you'll be sh|tting through the eye of a needle.

Edgeguts
WA, 69 posts
18 Feb 2010 10:02AM
Thumbs Up

I take fish oil tablets and its good for the ticker as well. Sometimes I get very painful ears from exposure to the wife and have found that approimately 8 stubbies of Jack Daniels does the trick.

Danger Mouse
WA, 592 posts
18 Feb 2010 10:18AM
Thumbs Up

Smedg said...

When i got sore knees from too much kiting and the wind starts cranking so i just have to go again, my best friend is voltarin rapid (25mg) takes all the pain away for me. I also take fish oil (meant to have like 12 1000mg capsuals a day for it to have a noticable anti inflamitory affect according to the last chemist selling it to me... Staffer may disagree though..) Also Glucosamine chondroidant stuff apparently takes months to work. more like an ongoing treatment. glucosa bit is to replenish whats getting worn out and condroy bit is to help it stick there better. If u have inflamation anti inflammatories ice elevation and taking it easy are the way to go. If you think that you've got more than something fixed by these maintainance measures its worth being checked out. Lizard really said it all better and much shorter than me

ps that pic is awesome. can i suggest you provide the tech drawing for marcus's next backyard project.

That's the idea with the fish oil and the Glucosamine Chondroitin though Smegd, you keep taking it as a preventative/maintenance measure. Taking Voltaren/Ibuprofen/etc only treats the symptoms that occur as a direct result of whatever is causing the pain, they don't help with the actual issue itself.

As the old addage says "prevention is better than cure".

D

BoneDoc
NSW, 17 posts
18 Feb 2010 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

If you still can't straighten you knee/s you should get someone to check them out. A displaced meniscal tear (the shock absorber in your knee) can cause a locked knee and may be worthwhile getting repaired (some of them are repairable if you get to them early enough). Other injuries to consider are ligament tears that may or may not need treatment. All in all, if your knees are not better with the voltaren after a week or so, then go and see someone.

Surfer62
1357 posts
18 Feb 2010 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

Saffer said...

wishy said...

Be weary of taking Voltaren on a regular basis. Its not very good for your stomach. Take it too often and you'll be sh|tting through the eye of a needle.

Good advice Saffer, I take Voltaren 50 (prescribed) when a lower back disc plays up ( usually from not kiting for a week ! ) Dr and Pharmacist both say max 3 days on voltaren then at least 3 days off them or risk stomach ulcers.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"How to fix knees" started by wishy