Forums > Kitesurfing General

How to kiteloop - Jesse Richman

Created by Kitepower Australia > 9 months ago, 19 Dec 2008
19 Dec 2008 11:08AM
Thumbs Up

Jesse Richman tells it how it is. Excellent clip, let the carnage begin!

http://www.cabrinhakites.com/gallery/?g2_itemId=809&

Cya and Goodwinds

Steve

KIT33R
NSW, 1714 posts
19 Dec 2008 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Steve, that doesn't look too hard.

Coose
VIC, 229 posts
19 Dec 2008 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

the thing with kite loops is if u dont dedicate and pull that bar down hard you are going to get owned.

give your first kite loops %110 and this will stop you from hitting the water with the kite still in mid loop....... it hurts and your balls and face.

HowieD
NSW, 88 posts
19 Dec 2008 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

Getting your head round the first loop is the tough bit. Once you've tried one and survived it's fun fun fun from then on.......

mattyjee
WA, 575 posts
19 Dec 2008 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

I was just starting to really get the hang of them, backroll kiteloops too, and even landing most of them until i stuffed up once and my kite hit the water at full speed. and ripped from LE to TE. Got it fixed from neil (awesome job too) but now i'm too scared to keep looping for fear of killing my kite again. I need to harden up again.

sandgroper
WA, 368 posts
19 Dec 2008 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Someone should have told the camera guy to keep the kite in the shot, not the dude.

(was probably his missus)

tightlines
WA, 3480 posts
19 Dec 2008 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

mattyjee said...

I was just starting to really get the hang of them, backroll kiteloops too, and even landing most of them until i stuffed up once and my kite hit the water at full speed. and ripped from LE to TE. Got it fixed from neil (awesome job too) but now i'm too scared to keep looping for fear of killing my kite again. I need to harden up again.

I was just starting to really get the hang of them, backroll kiteloops too, and even landing most of them until i stuffed up once and I hit the water at full speed and I fractured my fibula. Got it fixed by having six weeks off the water but now i'm too scared to keep looping for fear of killing my leg again. I need to harden up again.

I'm actually just starting to kite again, just cruising on a surf board haven't even attemted a jump yet, I wish I had only damaged my kite they are easily repaired.

P.S. I believe it was actually jogging on the beach barefoot that caused a stress fracture in the first place. I pulled up sore after a very long beach run at low tide on a rock hard slopey beach and couldn't walk for a few days but when I had it xray'd no fracture was visible. A week or so later it felt much better a bit better so I couldn't resist trying out my new kite and went the loop, I landed one rather hard and ended up back at the doc's, this time the xray showed a clear fracture.

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
19 Dec 2008 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

the one thing that the little sh1t didn't mention is that he and the other microgroms like to do them with 6m kites..........8m kites are too big and dangerous!

Manny
WA, 89 posts
20 Dec 2008 4:23AM
Thumbs Up

So my 12m is out of the question???? Did do it once by mistake, very very scary!

tightlines
WA, 3480 posts
20 Dec 2008 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

Manny said...

So my 12m is out of the question???? Did do it once by mistake, very very scary!

Now I'm not much of a kiter and my loops are as lame as but the first ones landed were hooked in backroll kiteloops on a 13mtr Bandit.
Sure I may have only been a metre or so off the water in light wind, had the kite very high and it never had time to come right around and back up but at that height and speed it doesn't have too as you aren't going to land hard anyway.
It may not be the true kiteloop that we want to achieve but the kite still loops whilst you are in the air so it is a start.
At 90kg and in light wind around 15 knots there is no reason at all that you can't do kiteloops on a 12mtr or > kite.
The only thing you have to do is fully commit to yanking on one end of the bar once you are at the top of your jump.
The fun starts when you try to go higher and get the kite lower on a 7 in stronger winds.

Coose
VIC, 229 posts
20 Dec 2008 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

greenleader said...

the one thing that the little sh1t didn't mention is that he and the other microgroms like to do them with 6m kites..........8m kites are too big and dangerous!

are you serious...... dude an 8m is plenty fast.

DJ12
WA, 42 posts
20 Dec 2008 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

Did an accidental kiteloop on Thursday night in gusty 15-25ish knots at Leighton with my 12m. I was well up in the air already after a boost and pulled the bar the wrong way and looked up just in time to see the kite viciously loop and I was hurled way downwind at scary heights/speeds. I hit the water hard and bounced a long way downwind. Thankfully I kept the kite in the air and I was lucky enough for there to be no damage to myself or the kite.
For a first kiteloop it was scary as but I can see how it could be a lot of fun when done intentionally and with some idea of how to carry it off effectively!
I think I'll put it in the "for later" pile for now though - still shaking.

hoskoau
NSW, 100 posts
20 Dec 2008 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

sandgroper said...

Someone should have told the camera guy to keep the kite in the shot, not the dude.

(was probably his missus)

Doubt it, he was sitting in front of a very nice Final Cut suite.

airsail
QLD, 1364 posts
20 Dec 2008 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

An easy way to learn kite loop backrolls is to split them into two movements. Do a normal backroll, once you land the board just loop the kite. Works just fine with a 12 or 13.
Because the board is in the water you keep control and in the light stuff you will need the power of the kiteloop to keep your bum out of the water. You won't have to spin the bar as the lines will untwist with the loop.
As you get more confidence start to loop the kite earlier to get more height. Very few big crashes learning this way, no need to boost and have a high speed downwind landing.
Progress to doing them one handed, dragging the other hand through the water as you go round (this is how low you can do them hence few injuries).
After that you will be used to the kite looping and the power it creates, move onto full boost kiteloops, personally I'm not into these, don't need the time off the water due to injuries so I'll let others have the fun.

waxman
SA, 1390 posts
20 Dec 2008 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

I find that looping bigger kites is easy as pie my first loop was a unhooked fishpolled f16 on my 15m rev kite gave a verry constant pull and you could loop it slow to generate great power slightly harder landings but the lunacy takes it have since looped all of my f one bandit dos kites and find 14m is great my arms feel a little longer though the 12m is easy and the 8m you may as well just loop it twice but i will always loop the bigger kites with more confidence. Most guys i ride with also mainly loop there bigger kites some hooked in some not but definatly dont be scared of the power a bigger kite will generate because face it didnt you loop it to get more power to start with, oh yeah drive it as low as you can it feels cool when you come out of a roll and your looking straight at your kite racing through the window aim downwind and ride it out

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"How to kiteloop - Jesse Richman" started by Kitepower Australia