Forums > Kitesurfing General

If I don't paddle surf do I need a board that can

Created by Adfreetv > 9 months ago, 8 Nov 2014
Adfreetv
VIC, 114 posts
8 Nov 2014 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Time for a new Surfboard and I'm looking for opinions.

With 10+ years kiting experience I am pretty competent in all conditions. I can jibe (change feet) without thinking and mostly ride ocean waves that are blown out and small to medium in size. I use straps because I still like to boost.

I am 80kgs and 183cm and older than you.

Most of the boards I am looking at (BWS, Jimmy Lewis, Crazy Fly) etc are advertised as being great for both kiting and for surfing. So the question is - If I am not interested in normal surfing, are there any disadvantages to this type of board design? Eg. more volume under the chest for paddling?

FYI, my current board has been a ripper. It was a custom made thruster, 5'6" * 18.5" with a double stringer and round tail.

Looking for suggestions for a new kite surfing board that.

1. Is strong (but light) hehe
2. Has inserts
3. Little rocker for light wind
4. Powers up wind
5. Holds powered carves but can still float around on small waves.

Tall order, I know.

Thanks

Lambie
QLD, 739 posts
8 Nov 2014 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

I don't surf either but like riding a surfboard style and boosting - I have a Underground Kipuna 5'8" that is a fun board and has taken a flogging - some repairs but still going strong. Ive recently bought the Axis New Wave 5'8" and its a great board. Both have a bit of flex so don't seem to bounce around as much as a standard paddle type board - yep ride those also. The construction of the Kipuna/ New wave seems to handle the boosting - unlike my other epoxy boards :-( just my 2cw !!

Brohan
VIC, 528 posts
8 Nov 2014 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lambie said..
I don't surf either but like riding a surfboard style and boosting - I have a Underground Kipuna 5'8" that is a fun board and has taken a flogging - some repairs but still going strong. Ive recently bought the Axis New Wave 5'8" and its a great board. Both have a bit of flex so don't seem to bounce around as much as a standard paddle type board - yep ride those also. The construction of the Kipuna/ New wave seems to handle the boosting - unlike my other epoxy boards :-( just my 2cw !!

I was also looking for a new board and came across the Axis New Wave, I liked that it had a recessed deck and full deck grip so I could grab it easier. I was wondering how stable the board is to ride?

Jedibrad
NSW, 527 posts
9 Nov 2014 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

only if you want to drift the kite in lighter conditions

without the floating volume u'd be relying on the planning area of the board and bog down if you slow down

so if you're a kite drifter you need reasonable volume

if you subscribe to the loaded one turn to loaded next turn... much more fun and control with small and narrower low volume

obviously two boards is the go

Adfreetv
VIC, 114 posts
9 Nov 2014 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lambie said..

Thanks Lambie, I appreciate you response. They look like good options. Do use straps?
Select to expand quote
Jedibrad said..
only if you want to drift the kite in lighter conditions

without the floating volume u'd be relying on the planning area of the board and bog down if you slow down

so if you're a kite drifter you need reasonable volume

if you subscribe to the loaded one turn to loaded next turn... much more fun and control with small and narrower low volume

obviously two boards is the go

Thanks Jedibard, I prefer powered turn to turn. I have Skim board for the lighter, hack about stuff.

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
9 Nov 2014 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

A smaller board than what you could surf (thinner) is actually almost always better for kiting, even if you are drifting the kite. The proper size for surfing (for most people) is too big a board to kite easily on and is usually bouncey and a handful to bottom turn. Even if the kite is drifting it's still pulling you a little and removing your downward force on the board.

That being said I almost always kite on boards that I surf, but that's mainly because I don't have a million dollars to spend on different boards.

vendeavours
VIC, 361 posts
9 Nov 2014 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sir ROWDY said..
A smaller board than what you could surf (thinner) is actually almost always better for kiting, even if you are drifting the kite. The proper size for surfing (for most people) is too big a board to kite easily on and is usually bouncey and a handful to bottom turn. Even if the kite is drifting it's still pulling you a little and removing your downward force on the board.

That being said I almost always kite on boards that I surf, but that's mainly because I don't have a million dollars to spend on different boards.

I agree with this and I use Smook epoxy custom 5'5 x 2" board , surf board rocker etc and 2.1 klg which I boost strapped and also use unstrapped Had 2 weeks at Mauritius at one eye the board rocked. Best to demo a lot before buying I am 79klg 5'10. "

HappyG
VIC, 292 posts
9 Nov 2014 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

Adfreetv, I have tried a lot of surfboards and Kite Surfboards its really down to feeling.

1. I started to learn on a Underground Kipuna 5ft 10in, great board takes a beating (I still have it)
2. Then I had a Firwire Dominator 5ft 11in Rode it with straps then strapless (brother stuffed it)
3. I have a North WAM 5ft 10in great kiteboard surfboard (still going strong)
4. Recently purchased a North Nugget 5ft 5in (fly it with a 17 metre and 10 metre Kite great light wind option)

My surfing surf boards are totally different. Much bigger and wont handle the abuse. Dont get me wrong I have taken them out but they have WAY to much volume to go out with a kite.

I have ridden the BWS Rawson and Drifter and they a superb Kite surfboards but could not justify the price if they snapped. The BWS boards are as close as I have come to a kiteboard I could surf just. I a bit of a lazy paddler I dont mind volume under my fat arse.

As everyone says try before you buy.

horey69
QLD, 496 posts
9 Nov 2014 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

I'm about the same size as you not sure about age, I still surf but don't ride my paddle in boards for kiting. Slingshot do the Celeritas in three sizes can be ridden strapped or un strapped(I think there is a secondhand one on SB) I've got a 2013 5'8" Celeritas and I will never sell it just such a great all rounder. the new Screamer looks good to. now that Slingshot are selling directly to shops you can now get their gear way easier.

iandvnt
QLD, 581 posts
9 Nov 2014 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Buy any surfboard without a stupid banana rocker sub 6'4 - you will have fun. i reckon you are better of buying cheap old surfboards and trying a load out - you can buy like 15 for the price of one retail kiteboard and learn like 100 times more about surfboards than you would otherwise know.

Is strong (but light) - i don't think an affordable one exists.

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
9 Nov 2014 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
iandvnt said..
Buy any surfboard without a stupid banana rocker sub 6'4 - you will have fun. i reckon you are better of buying cheap old surfboards and trying a load out - you can buy like 15 for the price of one retail kiteboard and learn like 100 times more about surfboards than you would otherwise know.

Is strong (but light) - i don't think an affordable one exists.

My thoughts as well.

Adfreetv
VIC, 114 posts
10 Nov 2014 1:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
horey69 said..
I'm about the same size as you not sure about age, I still surf but don't ride my paddle in boards for kiting. Slingshot do the Celeritas in three sizes can be ridden strapped or un strapped(I think there is a secondhand one on SB) I've got a 2013 5'8" Celeritas and I will never sell it just such a great all rounder. the new Screamer looks good to. now that Slingshot are selling directly to shops you can now get their gear way easier.

The Screamer does look like the sort of thing I'm talking about. I have a SS Misfit TT which I have always liked too. Thier Octanes and Turbo Diesels - now that another story!!

Adfreetv
VIC, 114 posts
10 Nov 2014 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sir ROWDY said..
A smaller board than what you could surf (thinner) is actually almost always better for kiting, even if you are drifting the kite. The proper size for surfing (for most people) is too big a board to kite easily on and is usually bouncy and a handful to bottom turn. Even if the kite is drifting it's still pulling you a little and removing your downward force on the board.

Excellent points. That's why I like my 5'6'' so much. The bigger one are too bouncy.

Buying and choosing is almost as fun as riding. almost.

Adfreetv
VIC, 114 posts
10 Nov 2014 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HappyG said..
Adfreetv, I have tried a lot of surfboards and Kite Surfboards its really down to feeling.

1. I started to learn on a Underground Kipuna 5ft 10in, great board takes a beating (I still have it)
2. Then I had a Firwire Dominator 5ft 11in Rode it with straps then strapless (brother stuffed it)
3. I have a North WAM 5ft 10in great kiteboard surfboard (still going strong)
4. Recently purchased a North Nugget 5ft 5in (fly it with a 17 metre and 10 metre Kite great light wind option)

My surfing surf boards are totally different. Much bigger and wont handle the abuse. Dont get me wrong I have taken them out but they have WAY to much volume to go out with a kite.

I have ridden the BWS Rawson and Drifter and they a superb Kite surfboards but could not justify the price if they snapped. The BWS boards are as close as I have come to a kiteboard I could surf just. I a bit of a lazy paddler I dont mind volume under my fat arse.

As everyone says try before you buy.

Perfect. You have confirmed my thoughts. - I need a directional kite board that surfs. Not one that does paddle surfing as well because there are trade offs. Cheers HappyG.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"If I don't paddle surf do I need a board that can" started by Adfreetv