Forums > Kitesurfing General

Insurance

Created by manicskier > 9 months ago, 27 Sep 2009
manicskier
VIC, 772 posts
27 Sep 2009 3:18PM
Thumbs Up

So i didnt realise that there were other options for getting insurance.. but apparently there are.

http://www.surfconnect.com/sc/html/Insurance.htm

Does anyone have any comments with regard to the IKO insurance?
Seems that it covers more than just third party costs too

Would also allow disgruntled ASKA / state KSA members another option rather than being uninsured

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
27 Sep 2009 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

Certainly, a very interesting comparison chart.

Now, let's sit back, wait & watch the comments start rolling in from some of our regular contributors...

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
27 Sep 2009 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

I agree juddy but you would also need to be at a certified level to obtain IKO insurance

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
27 Sep 2009 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

manicskier said...

Would also allow disgruntled ASKA / state KSA members another option rather than being uninsured

If folks opt to buy IKO or any other brand of insurance....
AKSA will lose its main party-trick.
The promise of maintaining beach access thru having AKSA brand insurance is the club's main claim.
Public Liability insurance is for the protection of your personal wealth.
Maintaining beach access is strictly dependant upon user behaviour.

Trant
NSW, 601 posts
27 Sep 2009 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

How can they offer insurance cheaper than the IKO offer it? It's US$78 on the IKO website
https://www.ikointl.com/my-iko-get-membership.php

And the IKO insurance form seems to show a US$1000 excess, or am I reading it wrong? (I'm no lawyer)
www.ikointl.com/docs/pdf/kiteboarder-insurance-policy.pdf

And what is meant in the IKO policy by
""Coverage territory" means;
a. The United States of America (including its territories and possessions), Puerto Rico and Canada;
b. International waters or airspace, provided the injury or damage occurs in the course of travel or
transportation to or from any place not included in a. above; or
Provided the insured's responsibility to pay damages is determined in a "suit" on the merits, in the territory
described in a
. above or in a settlement we agree to."

It's late and I hate reading policies so I've probably misread it, but it's looks iffy to me.

p.s. Read the waiver for a laugh too.

manicskier
VIC, 772 posts
28 Sep 2009 12:44AM
Thumbs Up

yeh, i read some of those odd clauses (there is even a section about nuclear reactors.. or something in the attachments)

and this discussion on kiteforum from last year
kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2348560

Has anyone any experience with this product?

sinbad
SA, 213 posts
28 Sep 2009 1:04AM
Thumbs Up

1M euro will get you a long way, that's $1.7m in AU, I have better public liability on my general policy insurance at home then that.

Maybe a good move to get it for rescue cost, 6000euro would be about what it would cost for the local utility's to get a crew out and rescue your kite from a power line.
It wont pay for the down time for people, hospitals and local business not having power.

stabber
NSW, 1114 posts
28 Sep 2009 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

if ya have an accident like the one above^^^^^(and can still walk away)...my suggestion is run like the wind!
Get outa there and quick.

stuff ya kite(it's already stuffed) and goooooooo.

It happens guys!, Don't flame me for saying it.

Yer mates won't dob ya in will they..."name withheld"......

Hey , it doesn't benefit anyone getting fined!.... the gov't just takes yer money and gives it to ppl for roof insulation....

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
28 Sep 2009 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

So you don't put your name on the kite then ^^^^^

airush geoff
974 posts
28 Sep 2009 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

back on the insurance- the iko sounds like a good cover...if you choose not to support aksa then you have another option- competition is a good thing.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Insurance" started by manicskier