Forums > Kitesurfing General

Interchanging Bars and Lines

Created by crimpster > 9 months ago, 16 Dec 2016
crimpster
NSW, 14 posts
16 Dec 2016 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys,

I have been wondering about this for a while and with summer vacation coming up was hoping to get clarification. I have a Core XR3 9m and 12m, with one Core Sensor Bar. In the event of the bar or lines breaking, is it possible to use the bar and lines from another kite? In changing them over, what needs to be considered?

I have a spare set of core lines sitting at home, and a BWS bar without a kite. I would be interested to try it out and keep the BWS bar as a spare if I need it down the road.

cheers

Crimpster

PirateDunk
WA, 14 posts
16 Dec 2016 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

You will need to check outer and inner line length compared to the original bar and make sure you have the right pigtail combination.

As an example. A couple of years ago I used a 2014 Naish Pivot with an RRD V4 set of bars. They worked perfectly. I used the same bar with Griffin and Ozone kites too.

At the moment I'm using a 2016 Naish Pivot with a Cabrinha Fireball set of lines. I needed to change the pigtails round from the inner to outer lines to get it to work and it took me a few sessions to tweak the outer lines to get it to fly correctly. The outer lines were too long.

As far as bar travel is concerned, the range of travel may limit, or provide more lift depending on the bar setup.

In short, suck it and see.

Spitfire
WA, 396 posts
16 Dec 2016 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

Besides pig tails and loops matching what the kite has on the bridal, I have never had any issues with swapping bars from different manufactures. Where the front lines split apparently can make a difference, however I can't seem to notice any issues. I am also using a core bar which has a semi high Y split on kites which normally run on a low Y. Everything seems fine with the way it flys.

AJ Events
WA, 111 posts
16 Dec 2016 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

From my understanding, for the last 10 years the inner and outer lines have been the same length when the bar is pulled in.

So your kite wouldn't be able to tell what brand the bar is as all it'll feel is 4 equal length lines when the bar is pulled in.

Some bars have a longer bar throw which will effect how much you can depower the kite by releasing the bar.

With many brands, the pigtails can be removed and swapped on the bar, so even if it doesn't match another kite, you can adjust that. This does take about 5 minutes as they get very tight so you wouldn't want to do this very often.

The size of the Y will make some difference, but I'm not good enough to notice ;-)

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Interchanging Bars and Lines" started by crimpster