Game changer ^^^^^^

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
8 Sep 2016 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shi thouse said..
Game changer ^^^^^^

No....its the game changer of the game changer.

BatKiter
WA, 209 posts
8 Sep 2016 1:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

shi thouse said..
Game changer ^^^^^^

No....its the game changer of the game changer.

I want one!! I want to change my game!!! Yeah

Addikt
WA, 551 posts
8 Sep 2016 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

Nice clean bar, knob might be a bit small.....

bjw
QLD, 3612 posts
9 Sep 2016 6:23AM
Thumbs Up

So are the days of soft ends on the bar gone?

My surfboard hates these bars.

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
9 Sep 2016 6:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bjw said...

But your board repairer loves em!

Game changing for him, now he can send his kids to private school!

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
9 Sep 2016 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bjw said...

Ditto. And my head hates hard bar ends when I unspin and clock myself...even more fun when the bar weighs a ton.

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
9 Sep 2016 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

The North Bar ends are soft.

SugarQube
WA, 490 posts
9 Sep 2016 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

If this highly mechanised bar had been the standard for about as far back as you could remember, with all its gears and winder stuff, then some one came along and invented a simple strap to power and depower my kite, now that would be a game changer.

kitebored
NSW, 560 posts
11 Sep 2016 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

Great innovation from North. Good to see R&D investment continuing in kiting with something significant, not a small incremental change that offers better upwind, downwind, beginner, advanced mega loops.

Time will tell if it's robust enough, fail proof and better than existing center line adjustment mechanisms. Either way we're all winners as the sport is progressing, other brands will fight back with their own innovations and ultimately we get the choice of what's best for ourselves

Gfly
165 posts
11 Sep 2016 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

All of this winding business looks just as annoying as using cleats which for me are jammed most of the time

bjw
QLD, 3612 posts
11 Sep 2016 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SugarQube said...
If this highly mechanised bar had been the standard for about as far back as you could remember, with all its gears and winder stuff, then some one came along and invented a simple strap to power and depower my kite, now that would be a game changer.

Exactly!

Lambie
QLD, 739 posts
11 Sep 2016 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Oh - any publicity is good publicity I hear ? personally Ill stick to my incredibly simple and very effective above the bar depower.
Good on North for playing around with something that aint broke - but that's progress !!
Cant this thread possibly make yet another page and provide North with this awesome FREE publicity ???

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
11 Sep 2016 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

Alvey was really pissed off when Shimano showed up! lol

kernal
WA, 541 posts
12 Sep 2016 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

dachopper said...
oceanrodeo.com/kiteboarding/bars/stick-shift/

Game changing, yet these guys already have it cheaper ?

Grab the new north bar and give the chickenloop a spin around. The ceramic bearings are something else, even compared to the trust. If they made the north clicker bar without the clicker and just a standard lightweight cleat system I would have bought a few.

dazza5172
SA, 311 posts
30 Oct 2016 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

Dazza's demo :) North Click Bar

So I finally got to demo this puppy today. There's a lot of posts and all I want to concentrate on is my personal experience with the bar on a demo session. I was also a little skeptical of why such a new system would be necessary from the tried and tested depower rope and cleat bar, and how refined the system would be. So FSR Industries in SA had a demo day today and we actually had some serious wind of around the 30 knots mark. My thoughts on the bar:

- its a really clean set up and you cant help but realize normal bars do have a lot of bits, the clean lines and lack of floppy bits is nice
- the bar has a very long throw for full depower that would suit various kites from short to long throws. for wave riding the deep throw is nice
- plastic covered rope though the bar, no rope wear
- the click mechanism for depower is handy on the bar end, I was not sure how that would work but it is actually handier than reaching for depower ropes when in need of depower on strong winds. When wanting a quick depower it is definitely quicker and easier than rope.
- power up the same handy spot - both on the right hand bar side
- it definitely worked well clicking and un-clicking the power on the ride
- depowered the centre lines and safety line are still under a neat tension with no floppy hanging lines - (that cant be avoided with a central depower strap and cleat, once you depower other lines flop away. unless your safety is on the steering line but thats another debate)
- also no matter the bar when you do a big depower you will have a big long flapping strap swinging about the place, I find that annoying, this bar does not have that at all.

some thoughts on advantages:
- on the fly it works as promised and I think is handier than reaching for straps especially in lighter winds
- the depower works when you are getting launched on the beach and there is only a little bit of tension in the lines (when tuning on the launch for different winds). Normally with a rope and cleat and you have your launcher holding the kite the tension is not there to quickly adjust it, the click bar is better for this prelaunch tune up. the same is important for depower with slacker lines, something that a rope does not provide. (note you still need a little tension for it to pull out - but rope and cleat system does rely on tension on the ride and a powered kite.
- it is a nice tight and well built system
- a bit of occasional maintenance seems reasonable to me, but surely so does you normal bar

Any down sides?
- more expensive than rope and cleat
- maybe a bit harder on the bar ends for board knocks (but nothing compared to the steel hook most are sporting on their harness)

Summary advice:
a lot of thought on this long thread seem to be a bit over critical. Its just a bar for goodness sake (its not a new car or a house) and it does work well and does have great advantages. I did not get one this year but after demoing it today I am now thinking about it. Just because its so much cleaner and free of floppy bits and hanging depowered ropes etc. If you want a higher end bar and have the cash then I think its great.

for disclaimer see my Profile as usual

Dazza

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
31 Oct 2016 3:45AM
Thumbs Up

The unspin is sick and puts even the core and flysurfer ones to shame.
The stopper ball is so good just on a single rope .
The click mechanism feels really sturdy, after using it i really don't think its going to break.
I bought one straight after demoing its kind of like having an automatic car - lots of people will hate on it until they try one in peak hour (or with the bar, have trim thats so accurate and effortless, good unspinning, good stopper ball.). Time will tell if it breaks too quickly but i think it should be ok.

*it took me a little while to understand how it unspins the centre lines- when you spin the bar to fix the outside lines the inside lines also get fixed without doing anything (no sheet in even )

dazza5172
SA, 311 posts
31 Oct 2016 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wishy said..
The unspin is sick and puts even the core and flysurfer ones to shame.
The stopper ball is so good just on a single rope .
The click mechanism feels really sturdy, after using it i really don't think its going to break.
I bought one straight after demoing its kind of like having an automatic car - lots of people will hate on it until they try one in peak hour (or with the bar, have trim thats so accurate and effortless, good unspinning, good stopper ball.). Time will tell if it breaks too quickly but i think it should be ok.

*it took me a little while to understand how it unspins the centre lines- when you spin the bar to fix the outside lines the inside lines also get fixed without doing anything (no sheet in even )

Definitely the key here is to have a try on a demo, like wishy this is the difference in really knowing what this system is like! After riding it you will know if its for you.

Smithy
VIC, 858 posts
31 Oct 2016 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dazza5172 said..

Dazza

Maybe the North Team rider bit tucked away in your profile should have been upfront...

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
31 Oct 2016 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

Tried it. Exactly as I imagined it would be.

BatKiter
WA, 209 posts
31 Oct 2016 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..

I missed the part where you Imagined it... let us know your thoughts please.

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
31 Oct 2016 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

Ah you guys just aren't in the clicky group...

dazza5172
SA, 311 posts
31 Oct 2016 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Smithy said..

dazza5172 said..

Dazza

Maybe the North Team rider bit tucked away in your profile should have been upfront...

About Me: Kitesurfing since 2004 - Love the sport and the people, kitesurfers are the best social crew around and in SA we have a brilliant group of people. My passion is wave riding, but I also like to mix it up with bit of low DD freestyle.
I am a Team Rider for North and our local distributor is FSR Industries.........

sorry how is that tucked away?? seriously!

max_ob
QLD, 187 posts
31 Oct 2016 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

Tried a friend's click bar. Have to say I was impressed for same reasons as mentioned above.

Mainly... Nice and very clean setup on front lines, easy Depower at press of button, relatively easy power up again, easy to see power setting by indicator on bar, should have no trim line wear, great single line stopper on trim line.

Still a bit skeptical about longevity of inner bits otherwise a very nice feeling bar. Was surprised and suitably impressed ... price is above my pay scale though.

Pretty sure it was tested for longer than their 2013 bar.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
1 Nov 2016 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
EternalNoob said...
Kamikuza said..

I missed the part where you Imagined it... let us know your thoughts please.

Overly complicated and clunky.
Too heavy, especially at the bar ends.
Trimming it takes too much attention.
Lots of little gaps to catch lines in a tumble.
No part could be repaired without OEM parts.

In short, nothing to recommend it over a "regular" bar except for the hype. Exactly as I thought it would be, before I used it.

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
1 Nov 2016 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

This thread is like a bunch of commodore fans hating on a Ferrari.
Is it even strong enough in Queensland to use trim? You guys could just use a broomstick!

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
1 Nov 2016 3:11PM
Thumbs Up

Having no trim & long throw, has been a game changer for me

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
1 Nov 2016 1:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wishy said..
Is it even strong enough in Queensland to use trim? You guys could just use a broomstick!

Welcome to world of using north gear....haters will hate..lol... The earth really is flat, didn't you know.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
1 Nov 2016 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wishy said..

It is in Queensland, Japan. I tend to trim once and be done with it though.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
1 Nov 2016 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
toppleover said..
Having no trim & long throw, has been a game changer for me

Cloud rider?

I hate Holdens.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Introducing the North CLICK BAR" started by NKBAUS