Forums > Kitesurfing General

Jetstar baggage allowance

Created by Surfer62 > 9 months ago, 10 Feb 2015
Surfer62
1357 posts
10 Feb 2015 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

Got a couple of o/s trips booked with jetstar this year, just noticed this little pearler in the baggage info area, in the past with jetstar I've crammed everything into one extra big board bag, ie two kites, TT and SB, etc, makes for heavy awkward transit, just noticed this on their website today:

Your baggage allowance is given by combined weight, not by number of bags. As long as your bags have a combined weight within your allowance, bring as many as you like. No single bag can weigh more than 32kg.

Schulerbible
NSW, 77 posts
10 Feb 2015 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

That's right. Can have multiple bags as long you don't exceed you max. allowance. I did travel with Jetstar recently and booked 20kg extra luggage. Checked-in my TT and took the kite + harness into the cabin (... to protect my gear). Apart from the pump which caused some delay at the safety check (not Jetstar specific) there was no further issue with it. Also, they still don't weigh & measure hand luggage.

wdric
NSW, 1625 posts
10 Feb 2015 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

I cant see anything wrong with that policy, better than the others as each bag count as 23kg for virgin and qantas

I doubt you will want a single bag more than 32kg anyway
And you can book more luggage upto 40kg last time I used jetstar

Freddofrog
WA, 522 posts
10 Feb 2015 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Schulerbible said..
.... Also, they still don't weigh & measure hand luggage.

I think it depends on the country you are in. We had our hand luggage weighed in Japan a few weeks ago.

Unhook3d
WA, 467 posts
10 Feb 2015 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Surfer62 said...
Got a couple of o/s trips booked with jetstar.

Let us know how that goes.
WORST airline I have ever dealt with. Haven't flown with them since 2009.

kitingtopher
SA, 313 posts
11 Feb 2015 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

we travelled jetstar lat year , but booked flights through qantis. frequent flyer gives you qantis baggage allowance plus paid for extra 20 kgs .( 43 kgs ) took a 7'6 and 5'10 in same bag and all other stuff between back pack and carry on . no issues , but i was worried after reading threads here

D926
7 posts
11 Feb 2015 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

I travelled up to Byron and back from the Gold Coast with Jetstar, and no real complaints. Which ever airline you go with these days it's a pain, profits are down across the board so they look to make money where ever they can.

But one thing you need to watch out for is the length of the bag, on A320 and A321 aircraft, max length of 6'2". But seen how SBs for kiting are much shorter, everyone here should be fine.

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
11 Feb 2015 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

Don't forget An empty bag still has weight to it, especially wheelie bags.So the more bags you take, the less weight you have for actually luggage.
From my experience, get a good wheelie bag and put your big stuff in it.
Then put heavy things, like bars in your other bag or even carry on.

Good luck.

(i've had some shockers with JS, so now its Virgin all the way. They have always been open and accommodating)

kitingtopher
SA, 313 posts
11 Feb 2015 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
D926 said..
I travelled up to Byron and back from the Gold Coast with Jetstar, and no real complaints. Which ever airline you go with these days it's a pain, profits are down across the board so they look to make money where ever they can.

But one thing you need to watch out for is the length of the bag, on A320 and A321 aircraft, max length of 6'2". But seen how SBs for kiting are much shorter, everyone here should be fine.

that was what I read on sb too, but no hassles with a 7'6 any where. traveled on an a 320

RosieKB
VIC, 240 posts
11 Feb 2015 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Unhook3d said..

Surfer62 said...
Got a couple of o/s trips booked with jetstar.

Let us know how that goes.
WORST airline I have ever dealt with. Haven't flown with them since 2009.

I prefer Jetstar, my favourite airline especially for the price! I've never had many problems with them, besides an occasional flight cancelation - if you fly often these happen with all the airlines

D926
7 posts
11 Feb 2015 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kitingtopher said..

D926 said..

that was what I read on sb too, but no hassles with a 7'6 any where. traveled on an a 320

I guess it really depends on the sort of person you get at the counter. In Melbourne I had a bag that was a little over 6' and was measured up against the wall with a piece of tape at the limit, but coming back they didn't bat an eyelid. That been said I'm sure the people at the Coolangatta can eye ball the size of bag with the number of them they see each day.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
11 Feb 2015 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

I always get picked on at check in. Biggest pain to travelling when you need to take lots of heavy equip.
My bag is always hovering around 32kg and my carry-on is always around 17kg (allowance is 7kg).
This caused me grief last time, they made my check-in all my camera gear...
And they put a mark against my name so they are going to always weigh my carry on.
Bullies.

Gilly3
QLD, 799 posts
12 Feb 2015 6:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
D926 said..
I travelled up to Byron and back from the Gold Coast with Jetstar, and no real complaints.

Huh? It takes less than an hour to drive there.......from the northern end of the coast.

Must have been like what, a five minute flight??

D926
7 posts
12 Feb 2015 7:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gilly3 said..

D926 said..
I travelled up to Byron and back from the Gold Coast with Jetstar, and no real complaints.

Huh? It takes less than an hour to drive there.......from the northern end of the coast.

Must have been like what, a five minute flight??

I flew into Byron spent a week there, then drove up to the Gold Coast and spent a few days there, then flew out.

RosieKB
VIC, 240 posts
12 Feb 2015 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

As a photographer my carry on is always well over the weight..

I've been forced a few times to pull out a camera and load it up with longest lenses/ flash etc etc and have it around my neck.. Its apparently fine to wear your weight but not have it in a bag..

Makes no sense but they've been happy with this - as long as its not in a bag.. As soon as you pass check in it all goes back in the bag..

Have also been told by Virgin that I wasn't allowed to load up my roller kitebag (golf bag) with separate bags inside - "I wasn't allowed to have bags in bags"..

Freddofrog
WA, 522 posts
12 Feb 2015 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RosieKB said..
.... Its apparently fine to wear your weight but not have it in a bag..

True so one way to "scam" the system is to wear cargo pants and jackets with lots of pockets.

Must admit though that I agree with the 7-10kg weight limit for carry on. In severe turbulance having a 10kg bag flung around or fall out of an overhead locker would not be pleasant.

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
12 Feb 2015 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

Or just put it back in your wheelie bag once you've checked in, on the way to over sized baggage.

But jokes aside.I did close to 15 flights at the end of last year, all with 3 wheeliebags, pre booked at virgin made no issue of it.

Got my support simply on that.

Petehoppo
NSW, 31 posts
14 Feb 2015 7:18AM
Thumbs Up

I can't imageine them allowing bar and lines in carry on? A mate of mine had to strip hundreds of dollars if braided line off his fishing reels at the gate after checking his baggage and trying to carry his reels in hand luggage.

who knows how many people you could hogtie with 100 mtrs of kite line?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Jetstar baggage allowance" started by Surfer62