Forums > Kitesurfing General

Keeping gear in a hot car

Created by LostDog > 9 months ago, 16 Jan 2015
LostDog
WA, 445 posts
16 Jan 2015 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

A mate and I were pondering how we could ensure we don't subject our gear to extreme temperatures in parked cars.

Found this.. http://www.kulcar.com.au/

Has anyone used these units? Seems like a good idea to me.

nikmcc
NSW, 259 posts
16 Jan 2015 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a good idea. A little pricey but.

My gear cops alot of hot sun time in the car whilst I'm at work. Would be great to hear some real-life experience with one.

Lambie
QLD, 739 posts
16 Jan 2015 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Lets see the science - sounds like crap !! Any review I see is a sales pitch - maybe just leave your windows down a bit !!

suniboy21
VIC, 1090 posts
16 Jan 2015 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

maybe just don't leave your gear in your car.

surfguy
NSW, 32 posts
16 Jan 2015 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

LostDog said..
A mate and I were pondering how we could ensure we don't subject our gear to extreme temperatures in parked cars.

hi cheaper versions on ebay.
My gear sites in canvas covered ute rear which gets super hot inside.
no problem I think.
more problem letting your kite flap on the beach while your riding another
or just having a break.
I would say don't worry about it.
maybe composite firewire type boards only which have problem with foam gassing in heat

jimmijaz
WA, 97 posts
16 Jan 2015 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

LostDog said..

the bladders are made of different material from the valves so their expansion rates are different .this can cause dellamination .probably best not to leave them in the car.

Brohan
VIC, 528 posts
16 Jan 2015 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone actually had any damage done to their gear while leaving it in the car on a hot day? I'm thinking of leaving mine in the car to save the trip home and back to the beach.

Dawn Patrol
WA, 1991 posts
16 Jan 2015 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

No idea about kites, but boards aren't a fan of hot weather. Twintips I have no experience with, but epoxy and fibreglass boards don't fare too well after a long spell in a hot car.

stuntnaz
NSW, 540 posts
16 Jan 2015 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

I had an old kite that I ended up replacing
all the strut valves due to heat from the car
It was 2007 kite .
I repair all my own gear except for stitching
In the old days you would submerge the valve
In hot water to get the rest of the valve off , think they glued them on and the glue was crap . Now days I have found that they are laminated on and the hot water trick doesn't work on newer kites , so I don't think the heat is going to unstick them these days .
In saying that I don't leave my gear in the hot car anyway .

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
16 Jan 2015 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah it's generally not a good idea. The glueing or joining technology may have improved, but the bladder material itself is prone to stretching and distortion under heat, and if cars can get up to 60deg inside, you have to wonder what damage you could be risking. If you have two kites and only take one out, try and bring both kites to the beach or secure it to a tree with a bicycle lock and key? But I would avoid heat with kites at all times, especially North kites. They are prone to this.

Nathe
WA, 433 posts
17 Jan 2015 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

My gears in the car all the time for after work sessions. I try to park under trees if not I put a sun visor on the windscreen and crack the windows to let breeze in . No problems yet but fingers crossed I ain't jinxed myself

flyingcab
VIC, 942 posts
17 Jan 2015 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Loftywinds said..
Yeah it's generally not a good idea. The glueing or joining technology may have improved, but the bladder material itself is prone to stretching and distortion under heat, and if cars can get up to 60deg inside, you have to wonder what damage you could be risking. If you have two kites and only take one out, try and bring both kites to the beach or secure it to a tree with a bicycle lock and key? But I would avoid heat with kites at all times, especially North kites. They are prone to this.

Your on the money there

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
18 Jan 2015 7:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brohan said..
Has anyone actually had any damage done to their gear while leaving it in the car on a hot day? I'm thinking of leaving mine in the car to save the trip home and back to the beach.

As ex kite repairer I can assure you there are plenty of kiters who have experienced kite damage from over-heating in cars.
Almost always delam of valves from bladders - some brands and certain models more prone to this problem.
Some brands of new kites now have valves heat welded rather than 'stuck-on'. Im guessing these will be better.

Jaffasoft
VIC, 30 posts
18 Jan 2015 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

I'm not sure if this is silly but would a kite fit into a sizeable esky. You don't need ice eskys are cooler inside them as they are.

I only have a few windows in my Van (at the front only) and jammed high rated insulation in all areas of the back which makes the entire thing fairy cool most times or i always have windows down a little so will not have to worry about this. Even windows down an inch will let a lot of the heat rising up in the vehicle out.

Ricardo1709
NSW, 1301 posts
18 Jan 2015 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

leave your windows down a bit cross ventilation,simple cost effective

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
18 Jan 2015 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ and all that is needed

pocomo
2 posts
19 Jan 2015 12:35AM
Thumbs Up

Ive been thinking about sewing up a large insulated bag to keep my kites in while they're in my car. Like those insulated surfboard bags, but for 2-3 kites and fits in my trunk or back seat. Could also throw in sandy gear to help keep the car clean. Curious how effective it could be over a full day.

Plummet
4862 posts
19 Jan 2015 3:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pocomo said..
Ive been thinking about sewing up a large insulated bag to keep my kites in while they're in my car. Like those insulated surfboard bags, but for 2-3 kites and fits in my trunk or back seat. Could also throw in sandy gear to help keep the car clean. Curious how effective it could be over a full day.

Sounds like a good idea man. Do it and tell us about it.

Jaffasoft
VIC, 30 posts
19 Jan 2015 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pocomo said..

This would be good, i want a big bag something like this to just loosely throw the wet kite in and gear until get them home get and out dry them and roll them up properly out of the wind. Would not have to be insulated for my situation cars "yes" might as well.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Keeping gear in a hot car" started by LostDog