Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kiama

Created by Darryl F > 9 months ago, 17 Mar 2008
Darryl F
NSW, 58 posts
17 Mar 2008 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

Myself and my brother are heading down to Kiama for the long easter weekend.

Can anyone recommend some good spots to go to (with directions for non-kiama living people) this weekend?

Looks like we have some pretty strong southerlys on Friday and then some Nor-easterly's coming through on Sunday.

harrytesties
133 posts
17 Mar 2008 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

head to the heads... the shoalhaven heads, or go to the bay.... the jervis bay, kiama sucks pompus no idea tourists balls...

Darryl F
NSW, 58 posts
18 Mar 2008 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Harry - Jervis is probably a bit far to go. But Shoalhaven Head doesn't look too far at all. Do you know what wind direction you can kite Shoalhaven in? Bearing in mind we are both reasonably new to it, just about staying up wind (with the right conditions), so cross / cross on shore would be nice.

Is there anywhere in particular at Shoalhaven you recommend?

Cheers
Darryl

harrytesties
133 posts
18 Mar 2008 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

forecast is not all that snazzy.... you can kite the pond near the entrance, find the car park by turning left at the bend in the road as you get to end of seven mile beach road, you can't miss it, every time i've been there, i've been sitting in the back seat, with gear piled all over me, so thats all the real directions i got, but its not too far from that turn off... needs to be high tide or you will run out of water... can kite here in all wind, but n/e can be gusty... about twenty mins north of kiama is a spot, when you find it you will know, cause if its on there will be kites.... but becareful... the locals are like vigilante's when it comes to protecting this spot, if you make an ass of yourselves be prepared to have a hole punched in your kite, told to leave immediately in no uncertain terms or have all your car tyres let down, it happens quite a bit, especially to newbies who think its ok to teach themselves....

Darryl F
NSW, 58 posts
18 Mar 2008 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like a right friendly spot! I think I'll steer clear of that then. Half the fun is chatting to people and kiting with other like minded friendly chaps...

Thanks for the advice fellar.

harrytesties
133 posts
18 Mar 2008 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

sounds like you have the right attitude, you should be fine there... i can understand where they are coming from... they draw a lot of attention because of their location, and a constant arrival of 'no idea she'll be right mates' who turn up every weekend expecting to be masters at it cause they've done a bit of surfing or windsailing or wakeboarding... or the best one i've ever heard... ' oh like i spent a couple of days down here watching youse guys, y'know like a couple full days watching, i reckon i got it'... the surf club nazi's have already told the guys, whom i sure will be only too willing to let you know, that the surf club have their budgie smugglers in a twist and are chomping at the bit to have it banned from the beach, so the locals have gone into protection override.. one learner, who came down from sydney cause dolls point was too busy to learn, had all his tyre let down and a bit of rock panelbeating done when he failed to heed the locals when they told him and his missus that it was too windy/crowded/unsafe for a leaner to launch...

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kiama" started by Darryl F