Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kite Boarding in Southern California

Created by kitebt > 9 months ago, 20 May 2013
kitebt
NSW, 325 posts
20 May 2013 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

I spend a lot of time in the US for work in the LA area. Has anyone had any experience in Kiting in and around the Coastline from Malibu to San Diego? Is there any kiting shops or schools anyone could put me in touch with in the area?

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
20 May 2013 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

The wind can die the further south you head depending on conditions. I've kited Newport, Seal beach, Huntington area. Never timed the wind down trestles way. There are a lot of rules at these and other beaches. Check the local southern cal forums. Kitesurfari is the biggest shop in the area. They do lessons rentals etc and could point you in the right direction.

shodan
WA, 60 posts
20 May 2013 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

+1 for seeing Kitesurfari. Got my 7m edge from them on the way up to the gorge last year. I'll be in L.A for a few days end of next month so if your in going to be there then give me a pm and we'll catch up then.

Blakes
WA, 7 posts
21 May 2013 10:47AM
Thumbs Up

Kited north of LA in Santa Barbara a couple of years ago, from speaking to the locals their season is very short, 6-8 weeks and right around now, the rest is a couple of days here and there. Some awesome coastline to be explored, PM me if you want more details.

kitebt
NSW, 325 posts
22 May 2013 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the tips guys. I did not realise the season was so short. I will be over there in mid June for work and will be there on a weekend. Thought I might give Seal Beach a go. Although I have heard you really need to be competent in going up wind to ride there successfully?

Santa Barbara also sounds interesting. I will be in the Bay Area during the week so may drive down PCH1 to SB and board there. Will certainly PM you Blakes.

Thanks for the tips guys if by chance you are in the states mid June let me know and we could meet up over the weekend for some fun.

Peterc150
VIC, 710 posts
22 May 2013 11:16PM
Thumbs Up

I was in L.A. last year, alas without kiting gear. There is a designated kiting zone at Seal Beach which looked fine. The tack takes you out past a pier, seemed straight forward. But the wind was light and there were several kiters there with Sector 60 boards. There seem to be more kiters and Long Beach not too far away.

Ventura has some nice waves - the Emma Wood State Beach is a quiet spot with plenty of parking and not over run by tourists and beachgoers. Would be a great spot if the wind was good.

JezzaFromCal
43 posts
23 May 2013 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

The season in Socal (Oxnard down to Long Beach) lasts about 4-5 months... Santa Barbara and San Diego have very little wind during the year and they are lucky to get 8 weeks out of the season.

Socal has some amazing places to kite. C-Street just north of Oxnard is one of my favorites (especially if you like surf). County line has some awesome kiting and you can often do some great 5 mile downwinders from there to Zuma beach. If you're looking to kite further south, just around Seal Beach will be your best bet. If you're into flat water (although a bit choppy), you can kite near Long Beach. You'll often get over 100 kites out and there will be a ton of beginners in the water.

If you can get away for a weekend, you should try and take a trip down to Baja Mexico for some GREAT kiting locations.

Good luck

kitebt
NSW, 325 posts
25 May 2013 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

JezzaFromCal are you based in Socal? Great adive much appreciated. I am probably not experienced enough yet for surf. The downwinder sounds like fun. Are you based in SoCal if so I would certainly be up for looking at doing that downwinder with you.

Septic
47 posts
25 May 2013 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kitebt said..

Thanks for the tips guys. I did not realise the season was so short. I will be over there in mid June for work and will be there on a weekend. Thought I might give Seal Beach a go. Although I have heard you really need to be competent in going up wind to ride there successfully?

Santa Barbara also sounds interesting. I will be in the Bay Area during the week so may drive down PCH1 to SB and board there. Will certainly PM you Blakes.

Thanks for the tips guys if by chance you are in the states mid June let me know and we could meet up over the weekend for some fun.

It sounds like you are not getting upwind yet. Belmont Shore in Long Beach is LA's protected, consistent place for working on that. It has one drawback: stingrays everywhere right now, and only gets worse as the water gets warmer. Seal Beach is the same. Vigilant feet shuffling might get you out off the beach safely, or not. I always poke the sand ahead of me with my surfboard. Lifeguards have a room just for treatment with buckets of hot water for all the people that get hit, you soak your foot in the hottest water you can stand.

The most consistent place for wind however is up in the Bay area, warm fresh water can be had at Sherman Island, just over the bridge from Antioch....There are plenty of instructors if you like, and you can do fun downwinders in the warm Sacramento River. The wind can pick up to very strong, 30-40 knots in a hurry though. If you are not upwind yet get an instructor to keep you out of trouble. I am still traumatized in high wind from being teabagged in 40 plus on a C Kite there when I was learning. Great place to reach the next level with the nonstop wind, the place to go if you are not ready for the surf yet. It's a beautiful natural setting with flocks of wild birds and lily pads and reeds and little islands with flatwater in the lee. Not to be missed for sure. No waves or stingrays or sharks. One instructor teaches there named Bruce Sheldon, he has a shop in Rio Vista (10 minutes away). Sheldon Kiteboarding. He is the most experienced person for teaching that I know of, and can make sure you learn the various launch areas safely. The river is lined with rock levee, and getting in and out can be sketchy until you know the place. Best to learn from the best there. Check his website for contact details.

KPSS Used
NSW, 384 posts
Site Sponsor
25 May 2013 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

Hi kitebt,

I am from San Diego so know the area and wind conditions extremely well growing up sailing, surfing, and kiting.

Santa Barbara is the place to go for sure but mainly in the Spring months (February-May)

North LA area (Malibu) is very fickle nearly all the year. South LA (Long Beach/Seal Beach) is the place to go in LA. Belmont Shore is okay in a sea breeze but Seal Beach is the best. Kiting months are February-October with an awesome sea breeze that lasts well into the evening.

San Diego as much as people bag out for having light wind can be very surprising. San Diego is definitely kiteable way more than 8 weeks/year. Enchanted/Stinkys cove is the flat water spot and Tourmaline is the wave spot. Winds are very thermal and Enchanted/Stinkys attracts the best thermal from 11am-3pm. 13m kite and normal size twintip is plenty. Southerly storm winds come with quite a lot of force and the South end of Pacific Beach is the spot to hit or a secret location in Mission Bay.

If you are in Sydney, come by the shop and i'm happy to chat conditions and locations with you anytime!

Cheers!

kitebt
NSW, 325 posts
26 May 2013 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Septic I will be in the Bay Area as well. I never knew you could Kite in sacramento River. It sounds like a lot of fun. How far from Palo Alto is the area you are talking about?

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
26 May 2013 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

Pretty sure Kiteworld mag had a 6 page write up from a f1 team rider giving all the low down on variouse regions, looked wicked but with a mention of snotty surfers at most spots, ill dig out what issue it is and let you know

kitebt
NSW, 325 posts
28 May 2013 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks cauncy

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
28 May 2013 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

its isue 56 of kiteworld, you should be able to view it online at kiteworld.com and follow the page, it was written by ettien lahote the f1 rider sounded great apart from the antisocial surfers at nearly every spot

kitebt
NSW, 325 posts
4 Jun 2013 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

All set....I am heading to Rio Vista in the Bay Area on the weekend of June 15 and 16. I can not wait. Escape winter and get some consistent breeze for a couple of long sessions. Thanks for all the tips guys. If anyone is going to be in the Bay Area and wants to come join let me know. Should be a fun weekend.

pattiecannon
QLD, 593 posts
5 Jun 2013 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kitebt said..

All set....I am heading to Rio Vista in the Bay Area on the weekend of June 15 and 16. I can not wait. Escape winter and get some consistent breeze for a couple of long sessions. Thanks for all the tips guys. If anyone is going to be in the Bay Area and wants to come join let me know. Should be a fun weekend.

Another great place in SF is North Sloat. I was only surfing back then for the fall/winter season but saw plenty of days where the kites had it. My brother, also a surfer, lives there and never surfs from April to Sept because of the "bloody onshores and **** waves in summer" lol. So I am really looking forward to going back! Have fun and post up your review.
....go to the Riptide bar on Wednesdays for surf film night ;)

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kite Boarding in Southern California" started by kitebt