Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kite Safe Glue

Created by Kitesplosh > 9 months ago, 22 Feb 2008
Kitesplosh
VIC, 123 posts
22 Feb 2008 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

I was stoked by airheads article on rigging a kite cam

www.seabreeze.com.au/Members/Content/Articles/Kitesurfing/Setting-Up-a-Kite-Camera_1190269.aspx

For those of you wanting to rig one up, unfortunately it seems that Pentax is not currently distributing the W20 or W30 cameras to Australia (according to my local camera shop). I managed to get hold of a W30 from Hong Kong on Ebay from T-Dimension (who gave me awesome service, arrived in 2 days with lots of freebies).

Now I just need to sort out the velcro - and here's my question:

What is the best glue to use to attach the velcro to my kites? Obviously it needs to be strong and waterproof, and not harmful to the kite strut material.

Thanks

KS

gerard
QLD, 175 posts
22 Feb 2008 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

Have a look to see if you can put the Velcro right around the center strut. This way you don't need to put any glue on your kite. You just blow your kite up with the center strut clip closed and then put you Velcro strap around it and when you let the air in its tight as!!! This works with Rev's and Waroo’s.

Cheers Grant.

meerkat
WA, 644 posts
22 Feb 2008 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

any kind of glue will cause "some" damage to your kite. The nature of "glue" means it needs to bond and therefore put strain on your kite. Some glues will also break down the material of the <whatever you are gluing> to create a stronger bond.

You can buy rolls of velcro from bunnings cheaply and they are really strong. I use the velcro with a sticky back to attach my helmet camera to my gath helmet and its super strong. You could use the sticky back of the velcro or like has been suggested loop velcro all the way round.

trick is to test it out on a ****ty camera/old kite/somebody else's kite and see what happens. Don't forget to post the "one" good photo you get from your first hundred taken.

laurie
WA, 3848 posts
22 Feb 2008 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

I went to Good Guys/Harvey and ferretted through the display boxes of camera pouches and found one that was a good tight fit. Then the missus sewed on a couple of velcro straps (from Clark Rubber) front and back and it's worked well. Holds on tight even with a coupla stacks.

..or spend ~ $us60 and get one from www.camrig.com/

Kitesplosh
VIC, 123 posts
22 Feb 2008 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

Grant

Pure genius - the simple solutions are the best ones.

I have 2 revs and a TD so looks like you have totally solved my prob

Many Thanks

KS

airhead
WA, 814 posts
22 Feb 2008 3:37PM
Thumbs Up

KS,

Only reason I glued mine is I have the Slingshot splitstrut system so there is no gap between strut and canopy

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kite Safe Glue" started by Kitesplosh