Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kite Sizes in Queensland

Created by csivell > 9 months ago, 24 Nov 2011
csivell
QLD, 4 posts
24 Nov 2011 2:55AM
Thumbs Up

Greetings From Canada,

My friend and my self are traveling to Queensland from Canada and we were wondering what size kites we should bring down with us. We will be there from mid January and will be staying for 2 months. We will be starting on the Gold Coast and traveling around from there.

Also what are the best areas to kite around Queensland?

Our Weights are as follows:

Ryan: 93kg's
Myself: 75kg's

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
24 Nov 2011 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

csivell said...

Greetings From Canada,

My friend and my self are traveling to Queensland from Canada and we were wondering what size kites we should bring down with us. We will be there from mid January and will be staying for 2 months. We will be starting on the Gold Coast and traveling around from there.

Also what are the best areas to kite around Queensland?

Our Weights are as follows:

Ryan: 93kg's
Myself: 75kg's

where abouts in Queensland you staying?

Rhys McClintock
NSW, 995 posts
24 Nov 2011 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

Ryan needs a 14/15 and a 10...
You'll need a 12/13 and a 9...

Winds we get here are 14-15 knots on an average day, 20 knots on a good day and 25 knots on an epic day :)

Start at the Goldy and then head north to the sunny coast/Noosa, then head back down again to maybe Coffs Harbour... Plenty of world class spots along the way.

csivell
QLD, 4 posts
24 Nov 2011 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

We will be staying in the gold coast area and then heading out from there, where ever the wind takes us, no pun intended haha

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it!

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
24 Nov 2011 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

I'm <100kg I use 17m & 11m. Lots of 12-16kt days.

sunseeker
QLD, 1203 posts
28 Nov 2011 2:48AM
Thumbs Up

Sunshine Coast about 1 hour north of Brisbane has 3 rivermouths and about 60km of open beach for down winders. Rivermouths are at Noosa, Maroochydore and Caloundra.
Staple wind is 15-20 knts.
I agree with what Rhys says on kite size for a twin tip. If you mainly ride waves on a surfboard you could go a size smaller.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kite Sizes in Queensland" started by csivell