Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kite Surfing Margaret River

Created by Billy123 > 9 months ago, 3 Jan 2011
Billy123
WA, 13 posts
3 Jan 2011 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Everyone

Just had a great few days down south punctuated with a fun light breeze session at Margaret River Main Break. As we all know the beach at the River Mouth is a safe and handy escape route when things go wrong or the wind simply disappears while kite-ing Main Break, myself & Marty from Delta opted for the downward run to the river mouth when the wind lightened on Monday, but we made sure we did one important thing, we kited to the most NORTHEN end of the river mouth beach, away from swimmers and surfers. After packing up I stopped in at the Lifeguard position at the river mouth for a chin wag with the lads, they conveyed their concerns, and asked me to pass them on, so here they are.

When bailing to the River Mouth DO NOT kite anywhere near the southern and of the beach, keep away from the swimmers area and the flagged area where surf lessons might be under way, DO kite to the most Northern end of the beach and land your kite there, pretty simple and reasonable I reckon.

The Lifeguards are cool with landing at the Northern end but have had a bit of trouble this year with people kiting straight through the crowd and onto the beach, if a member of the public gets injured as a result of landing a kite, a ban on landing kites at the River Mouth will be enforced, and it’s a hell of a walk form Ellensbrook. The bulk of people doing this have been our overseas visitors, so please if your chatting to them before a session at Margaret River mention this rule.

Ohh yeah, the lads that work the river mouth are no ordinary cock jock wearing, beer gut sporting weekend clubbies, headed by Mike “Stomper” McAuliffe along with the likes of Mick Short this crew surf heavier waves than you and own the area when it’s 10 foot +, so plenty of respect, I know there is one international visitor that is happy the boys paddled through a 6 foot shorey to rescue him on new years eve.

Cheers Everyone
Let’s have a safe 2011

Billy

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
3 Jan 2011 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Great thread. CLEAR applies in Margs. WOW we have to walk an extra 300m to stop young families getting scared by guys usually self landing. This should go on the WAKSA website for that location.

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
3 Jan 2011 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Yep good post, sounds reasonable and makes sense.

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
3 Jan 2011 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

For what it's worth ...
The 'land here' spot on the map has a more friendly shoredump than the 'not here' spot.
But when the wind drops out to nothing, sometimes you're at the mercy of the Gods.

gruezi
WA, 3464 posts
3 Jan 2011 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

Oh there you are, missed you Slave...Happy New Year.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kite Surfing Margaret River" started by Billy123