Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kite surfing Chile, Oct & Nov - advice

Created by ShaneHoubart > 9 months ago, 30 Jul 2015
ShaneHoubart
WA, 12 posts
30 Jul 2015 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Hi there,

I'm looking for any advice of kite surfing in Chile. I'm trying to minimise on gear as I'm doing multiple activities (Trekking in Patagonia, rock climbing outside Santiago & Surfing missions). My missus is from Santiago so we'll be basing ourselves from there.

My smallest kite is a 7m and I'm wondering if I could just get away with a 7m wave kite and a 8m flat water kite. From what I can find on the internet it sounds like it Nukes during October and November. I'm mainly into waves but don't mind the occasional boost session:) Is it worth just taking wave gear or both?

Any recommended spots to check would be great!! Especially wave riding spots...

Any tips and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks a million!!

Shine on,
Shane

kernal
WA, 541 posts
31 Jul 2015 4:30AM
Thumbs Up

i would like to hear what climbing gear your takeing :) bit of a dream to climb in patagonia youll have to write back if you meet those crazy old foreigners who made those national parks ay :D bloody hell you got a flikr account or something wouldnt mind seeing the dramas unfold :P

KB7
NSW, 108 posts
1 Aug 2015 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

I spent 7 months in South America in 2013 including 3 month in Chile and drove the whole west coast from Arica in the North to Punta Arenas in Patagonia in a 4 x 4 with both kite and surf gear.

I took a 12m, 10m and 8m and kite surfboard, forget flat water the Southern Ocean never stops pumping. Up North I used the 12m and 10m a lot around Arica, La Serena Antofagasta, which was fun but nothing special wave wise.

Once you get down near the Santiago region everything changes, the wind, big waves, climate the scenery (you finally start seeing grass and trees after 2000km of Atacama Desert). Matanzas is the epic windsurf/kitesurf location in Chile, it’s a bus ride from Santiago but you really need a car. For kiting the best spot is a 2km downwinder (or 4x4 on the beach) to La Roca Quadrada . This is a fast sucky wave that goes and goes at 3m+ it’s dangerous. I was powered up on an 8m every day and blown off the water by around 3pm, most of the locals don’t have a kite bigger than 7m. At the main break in the village you will witness the best port tack windsurfing in the world (except perhaps the old Toomies crew in WA). Sit back with a Pisco Sour by the fire at the bar in Surazco after a hard day kiting and watch the show until it gets dark. www.surazo.cl/ You can kite this main break but wind it’s way too fluky due to the big sand dunes and I never saw anyone do it just justice on a kite, myself included. If you have a car and surf, drive to a great left point break called Puetecillo and in the afternoon kite the next beach called Punta Topicanna which is more side shore wave riding. I found Wind Guru to be spot on wind wise, it’s either blowing or it’s not and once in the wind holds for about a week. Just check the forecast in Santiago and plan when to go but be flexible. For kiting only you have to go to Matanzas. (this isn’t a place for the inexperienced).

However if you have more time and like to surf I would recommend Pichilemu which is also a bus ride from Santiago. This is home to Chile’s best wave, Punta Del Lobos, an epic left hand point break that picks up everything the Southern Ocean has to offer. Surf in the morning and then kite in the afternoon at a break in town called Inferneo which is a big wall with fast sections on the inside but slightly onshore. You will be kiting alone except at the weekends. If the surf is massive the main break in town is fantastic fun just launch upwind at Inferneo and sail down 500m. Huge rolling walls perfect cross off direction that you can kite for over 500m, endless cutbacks. The problem is the wind in Pichilemu is much lighter than Matanzas even though as the crow flies it’s not far away. I used the 10m most days even the 12m some days. Pichilemu has a huge range of accommodation, shops, nightclubs and a great vibe.

Further south there are other great places but nothing to match these two. The water is very cold you will need a 4/3mm wetsuit, hood and booties but the benefit is great wind great waves and no crowds. Also you need to speak at least basic Spanish to get around once out of Santiago. If you have time and see a 3 -4m SW swell going up the coast (use Magic Seaweed) I would recommend a side trip to Pacasmayo in Peru. The setup is incredible with waves that break over 1km.

Patagonia is also incredible place have fun.

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
1 Aug 2015 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Nice rundown KB7! Chile is high on my list...and I am still four months away from finishing my 9 month trip right now. I think it will be in my two year plan. What was the water temp at Pichilemu?
Currently in Guinche Portugal and so far I would say that this wave kite combo is a bit over rated. Wind has been up every day, but the angle is not that good.

KB7
NSW, 108 posts
2 Aug 2015 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

The water temp around Pichilemu is around 12C which is Tassie cold. You need a hood for the duck diving on morning sessions and when kiting in over 30 knots from the south. WInd chill goes right through you. As I said the benefit is uncrowded quality surf and kiting in a great country.

If you can't deal with the cold then head to Peru which is much warmer. Pacasmayo, Lobitos and a number of spots around Mancora offer so many fantastic options for a kite and surf trip if you like lefts. The problem is most of Brazil knows about it and can get there on cheap package deals so everywhere is crowded. Peru is also not as safe or easy to get around as Chile but if you have time both countries offers a great time for a kiter /surfer as a combo trip.

ShaneHoubart
WA, 12 posts
10 Aug 2015 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

KB7 - you are the MAN!!! If I could I'd buy you a beer!! Thanks so much for the heads up. It's so much easier to get information from the horses mouth rather then trying to search a billion hits on Google!!

Luckily for me why wife is Spanish so I'm super excited by the prospects of this trip. We're also trekking the O route in Patagonia - should be a epic hike!!

From your advice I reckon that I'll take a 7m, 8m and 10m kite - I wish that I could afford a smaller kite but going that small isn't realistic for Margaret River WA. I'll only be going as far north as Matanzas so I'm all sweet with the info you've given me;) Plus I appreciate your telling me to ditch the flat water - one less board to lug around:)

KB - you're the man!! Thanks a million mate!!

Sending you good energy brother!!

Shine on,Shane

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
10 Aug 2015 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ShaneHoubart said..
KB7 - you are the MAN!!! If I could I'd buy you a beer!! Thanks so much for the heads up. It's so much easier to get information from the horses mouth rather then trying to search a billion hits on Google!!

Luckily for me why wife is Spanish so I'm super excited by the prospects of this trip. We're also trekking the O route in Patagonia - should be a epic hike!!

From your advice I reckon that I'll take a 7m, 8m and 10m kite - I wish that I could afford a smaller kite but going that small isn't realistic for Margaret River WA. I'll only be going as far north as Matanzas so I'm all sweet with the info you've given me;) Plus I appreciate your telling me to ditch the flat water - one less board to lug around:)

KB - you're the man!! Thanks a million mate!!

Sending you good energy brother!!

Shine on,Shane

She's not Chilena if she's not into Condorito!

kernal
WA, 541 posts
11 Aug 2015 5:53AM
Thumbs Up

cheers for the write up kb7 :D

THE DONG
VIC, 518 posts
11 Aug 2015 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

****. Nice write up. I'm locking in chile for my next trip after that read

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General