Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kite turning insideout

Created by TOAD > 9 months ago, 11 Apr 2008
TOAD
NSW, 305 posts
11 Apr 2008 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

A Couple of times now I've had my 11m Rev turn insideout after crashing . Can I somehow flip it back to normal ??? I have also had my exhaust stopper blow out ,after a crash > Lucky I was close to shore , otherwise I would have had to ditch it !!! Has this happened to anyone else ? Or have I got a dodgy kite ???

jordy
SA, 451 posts
11 Apr 2008 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

If it is inverting when it hits the water, you probably don't have enough air in it. The only reason my REV has ever inverted, or turned inside out is when I have dumped it while riding in waves!!! Put some more air in it and you will find it won't happen!! The only other reason it may turn inside out is if you let go of the bar when you crashed. Once again a bit of extra air will stop this from ever happening. It has never happened to me after dropping the kite and letting go of the bar though.

On the other hand, if you were riding a Cabrinha I would say get used to it but you're not, you're riding a REV!!!

And what is an 'exhaust stopper'?? Are you talking about the stopper ball??

walshd
SA, 601 posts
11 Apr 2008 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

I've never had either happen.

Did the kite turninside out or simply invert? I've seen a rebel turn inside out and couldnt believe it actually flew (sortof)

Sounds like you dont have enough pressure in your kite. Are you putting atleast 8psi into it?

I've heard of the deflate valve popping out on a big stack but have never had it happen myself. Make sure the plug is in properly and that velcro strap is done right. If it keeps happening then I'd be asking the shop you bought it from.

TOAD
NSW, 305 posts
11 Apr 2008 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

What happened was , When I crashed I had a bit of speed up on the board so that when I crashed all the lines went slack and the kite sort of rolled over and the lines rapped arround the kite ..

TOAD
NSW, 305 posts
11 Apr 2008 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

Yer sorry I ment the deflate valve .

Firiejason
SA, 69 posts
11 Apr 2008 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

TOAD said...

I have also had my exhaust stopper blow out ,after a crash > Lucky I was close to shore , otherwise I would have had to ditch it !!!

Don't ditch in this case, you have to swim in anyway so self rescue

walshd
SA, 601 posts
11 Apr 2008 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

I'm still not sure what you mean? Did the kite pocket wind, relaunch and your lines were twisted?

Or did the kite pocket wind but was inside out and the top of the canopy was facing you? If this happened then your kite didnt have enough pressure. It may have lost pressure if the deflate valve came out a bit or you didnt put enough in the kite in the first place?

TOAD
NSW, 305 posts
11 Apr 2008 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

I took about 5 lessons but I didn't do a self rescue with a totally defated kite ? Can it be done??

TOAD
NSW, 305 posts
11 Apr 2008 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

Yes the top of the canopy was facing me and it was trying to fly ? I'm prettysure I pumped it up enough , cause my pump has a gauge on it and I take it just over 8 psi ????

sunseeker
QLD, 1203 posts
11 Apr 2008 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

I've posted about pressure and pressure gauges before, the REV manual says 8 psi but when my REV has enough pressure, my gauge reads 10 psi. When the gauge gets to 8psi there is definately not enough air in the kite, the kite would fold in half if held up end to end. This could potentially allow the kite to invert.

Firiejason
SA, 69 posts
11 Apr 2008 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

TOAD said...

I took about 5 lessons but I didn't do a self rescue with a totally defated kite ? Can it be done??

Surely the struts stayed inflated? There is some good info on self rescue at

kiteboardingschool.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=39&Itemid=52

Worth practising every now and again.

Travesso
NSW, 52 posts
11 Apr 2008 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

The reason your kite turned inside out was because you kept riding towards it when it crashed, slackening the lines. Mine did the same thing last weekend. If you read this thread, people gave me some advice on this happening.

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36957

It does not necessarily mean you dont have enough air in it as mine was pumped up hard as hell. When you say inside out, you mean that the kite basically did a 360 on its long axis, crossing the lines right? Or do you mean that your kite flew trailing edge first!? As for the valve blowing I've got no idea. Cabrinha valve covers screw on and dont come loose.

TOAD
NSW, 305 posts
11 Apr 2008 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys for all the advice , it's good to be able to speak with other kiters about stuff . I've done ,and was taught self rescue but I'm interrested in the self rescue with my deflated kite . Is it the same as with a inflated or semi inflated kite ? e.g hold both tips and try to catch the wind like a sail ????

TOAD
NSW, 305 posts
11 Apr 2008 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

Weather the crash poped the clips isolating the struts or not I don't know ? But some of them were not shut off ,causeing the struts to deflate as well ???

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
11 Apr 2008 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

TOAD said...

Thanks guys for all the advice , it's good to be able to speak with other kiters about stuff . I've done ,and was taught self rescue but I'm interrested in the self rescue with my deflated kite . Is it the same as with a inflated or semi inflated kite ? e.g hold both tips and try to catch the wind like a sail ????

Hi TOAD,

Check out our explaination of self rescue on our "Tips and tricks" page of our site and an other handy hints that may be of interest to you also.

kiteboardingschool.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=39&Itemid=52

Hope this helps you. Good winds,

Kadkhah
WA, 381 posts
11 Apr 2008 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

Firiejason said...

TOAD said...

Firiejason do you know any website that I can learn how to self land on a 4 liner on about 25 knots?
(I've read the tip #28, but its for winds under 15 knots)

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
11 Apr 2008 2:07PM
Thumbs Up

Kadkhah said...

Firiejason said...

TOAD said...

Firiejason do you know any website that I can learn how to self land on a 4 liner on about 25 knots?
(I've read the tip #28, but its for winds under 15 knots)

What sort of kite are you talking ?

echostorm
QLD, 1245 posts
11 Apr 2008 2:10PM
Thumbs Up

the EASIEST way to fix this problem is this.... (well easiest apart from preventing it in the first place)

1. If the kite is inside out and flying... crash it first.

2. Once it is on the water and facing away from you, you will notice that the front lines (the closet lines to the middle) are going over the top of the leading edge and squishing the kite and heading towards you. Simply but carefully start pulling in either of the front lines that are doing this (if its both do one at a time. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO LOOP THE LOOSE LINE AROUND YOUR ARM OR FINGER ECT...

3. After pulling in about 1.5 metres hold onto it tight and let the wind spin the kite around (the leading edge will slowly start to face you. You will feel a kind of 'clunk' as the front line slides down the front of the leading edge and underneath it, thats your que that the lines are back and the kite is ready.

3. Let go of everything and put your hands behind you away from the loose lines. Be super careful to not let it tangle on your bar, fingers, harness, leg, or head!

4. Repeat the process for the other side if it too is over the leading edge otherwise you are good to go for a standard water relaunch.

Saves you having to swim in and do a self rescue ect... This is kind of an experience thing. The better you fly your kite the more of a reflex it is not to let it happen in the first place. Just be careful and if you are in the impact zone in the surf then I would recommend just hitting the safety and swimming in. Your kite will eventually fly/float to the beach and land itself leading edge down.

sunseeker
QLD, 1203 posts
11 Apr 2008 2:17PM
Thumbs Up

Haha, everyone who owned a TD1 would know this technique very well.

Jeff R
QLD, 70 posts
13 Apr 2008 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Its easy / Simply buy a FLYSURFER Kite . No inverting , No Pumping up , No bladders to explode & replace , easy relaunch . Just go out and enjoy your self , after all that is what is is all about really .

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
13 Apr 2008 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

the reason it happend is koz u had speed on the board and lines went slack after crashing.. simple.. happens to all LEI kites if u crash in that way. just keep tugging on one of the outside lines until it catches wind and gets ready to relaunch. u might find u had a inverted line

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kite turning insideout" started by TOAD