Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kitesurf Egypt - this place is awesome!

Created by Simsurf > 9 months ago, 27 Feb 2012
Simsurf
WA, 238 posts
27 Feb 2012 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

HI all,

I am an Aussie that has been living and working on the Red Sea coast in Egypt for the last 8 months. I have learnt two things about Egypt in my time here.......

1. The trouble in Egypt is localised to the cities in the North.
2. The Kitesurfing is incredible!

I regularly get out at a spot located at Emerald lagoon which is a picture perfect coral reef lagoon midway down the Red Sea coast. The predominant NE sea breeze is unbelievably consistent (check the wind reports for Marsa Alam, and add 8-9kn) all year. Due to the arid landscape it is a true sea breeze, so is nice and smooth.
Kiting here is over crystal clear water, protected from swell and chop by the reef. The lagoon is so clear you can see the colour in the coral bombies on the bottom. Its also large enough that it doesn't get crowded, so plenty of room to have fun no matter how many are out.
The kite centre located right on the beach is called Pro-kite Academy. They have full professional beach service meaning they set up your kite for you (lines and all), launch and land, and have a rescue boat should you get into trouble. They also have quality hire gear for good prices if you need it.
It is also a kite school for the Euros, but meets all the needs of the experienced kiter as well.

All up an epic spot and well worth a visit from the travelling kiter.
I am plugging this place because it truly is amazing. I have kited in several places up and down the coast over here and this place is the standout.

Check it out at : http://www.prokiteacademy.com/en/

Regards

Simon

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
27 Feb 2012 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

How much have you invested in your business?

Simsurf
WA, 238 posts
27 Feb 2012 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Paul,

I am employed in a Gold Mine about 20klm from the coast and have no association with this business apart from Kiting there on a regular basis.

It simply is an awesome spot and the service at the centre is great.
I thought some others may be interested in a great place to kite, that is a bit out of the way.

kiter77
VIC, 273 posts
27 Feb 2012 10:52PM
Thumbs Up

Do they have exclusive rights to the area or is there accommodation nearby to do your own thing?

Simsurf
WA, 238 posts
27 Feb 2012 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

Kiter 77,

I deleted that last reply. It even confused me.

You can kite anywhere as long as you have a permit. These are time comsuming and frustrating to get....... but without them you will atract trouble.

It is easier to just go to the kite centres that have open permits and beach service.

There are three Italian resorts right next door to the centre I mentioned called Dream, Blue and Emerald Lagon. Good accom and all inclusive food and drink.

coldshot
WA, 218 posts
27 Feb 2012 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Simon
we have a great spot here in Australia
- great winds all year round
- enough room for as many kiters as any place in the world
- epic spot
- accommodation is expensive
- secret spot thou but don't tell anyone please it's Ayers Rock, a little bit of sand thou!!
Kite school run by the local people

theDoctor
NSW, 5780 posts
28 Feb 2012 12:51AM
Thumbs Up

sorry simstat,

flat water and euros piss me off

Simsurf
WA, 238 posts
27 Feb 2012 11:18PM
Thumbs Up

The way we are going with global warming, the tide might come in at the rock eventually. Been out for a while now though.

Have heard the locals are a bit new to kiting too. The school could be interesting.

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1874 posts
28 Feb 2012 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

Egypt is the 'New' Australia for kiteboarding - and it is cheaper to get there if your from EuropeLand

archie00
NSW, 137 posts
28 Feb 2012 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Simon,

I'm appreciative - always looking for new spots to travel and kite. Thanks for the good info.

ludbey
TAS, 85 posts
28 Feb 2012 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

yes i second what archie oo said, cheers for the info

Joe Cron
NSW, 450 posts
28 Feb 2012 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

theDoctor said...

sorry simstat,

flat water and euros piss me off

Doc, I admire how you speak your truth,

Still waiting on that free T?

Kat
WA, 145 posts
28 Feb 2012 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Hey all - my partner and I kited Egypt in 2011 and it was nice - I still agree that Aus has some of the best places to ride though (WA being one of them).

Pros - people to do all the setting up and anything else kite related
There was only one day we didn't have wind in August
Most folk were Expats or of British or there abouts - and were really friendly
Local kiters were unreal with their moves

Cons - we had to travel about 4hours from Cairo to get to the ocean - only to find out our "resort" (erase the image of something fancy - it is not) to Soul Kite surfing center and even then our accommodation was at I think it was dream - so not right on the beach had to get picked up and dropped off everyday - quite annoying as you can't pop back to your room if you forgot stuff
Food was disgusting at these resorts - And we are foodies who try most things!!
The food in old Cairo was better (and if you have been to Egypt this says a lot!!)

Anyway if you are keen on other water sports ie diving then Egypt would be a nice place to venture too - we also did loads of other things (it's Egypt you will never get bored!)

ExSurfCentre
WA, 484 posts
28 Feb 2012 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

Really cant imagine why people would travel that far from Australia to kite,,its a good spot for cheap holidays from the UK and yes the wind can be good (at the right ime of year) but seriously WA to me so far must be the best kiting in the world...why travel so far to get the ****s and ride one designated area :-) not too mention the hassle you get just walking down the street,,if you tell the guys selling stuff you come from the moon they will have a cousin that lives ar has lived there.....

greenhead
WA, 51 posts
29 Feb 2012 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

simstat

I assume you are at the Sukari Gold Project. I hear that the scuba is very good as well.

Simsurf
WA, 238 posts
29 Feb 2012 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

Greenhead,

Yes mate, I am at Sukari.
Will be finishing up here next month after 8 months on-site. Its been a hell of a challenge and frustrating at times, but also incredibly rewarding.

I have truly enjoyed my time in Egypt and have learnt that what we hear in Australia and see on the news about the country is largely untrue. All of the trouble has been localised in small areas of the cities. Don't go there and its business as usual.

I had not heard how spectacular the Red Sea was before I came here. It is seriously underated.

dachopper
WA, 1790 posts
1 Mar 2012 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys, I'm up in Tabuk in KSA, but we have what looks like some very promising lagoons in the NW sector, across from the main Egyptian spot sharm all shaik

How is Cairo and the pyramids for travel?

Nick :)

DutchRooster
NSW, 325 posts
2 Mar 2012 12:56AM
Thumbs Up

Worked on the Red Sea for 3 years as a dive master / instructor. Used to be beautiful, desolate. The they started building everywhere. Not much coast line left untouched. Too many tourists, dead coral. Russians.

Hate the place now, but loved it back then...

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kitesurf Egypt - this place is awesome!" started by Simsurf