Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kitesurf365 TechCast - AMA (Ask Me Anything)

Created by decay > 9 months ago, 26 May 2023
decay
99 posts
26 May 2023 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,

Adrian and I have done 4 different TechCasts this year:

#1 How Kites Turn

kitesurf365.com/how-kites-turn-with-dk-episode-289

#2 Measuring Jump Height

kitesurf365.com/measuring-jump-height-with-dk-episode-294

#3 Kite Lines and Control Systems

kitesurf365.com/kite-lines-and-control-systems-with-dk-episode-299

#4 Kiteboardshaper Talks Kiteboards

Part 1: kitesurf365.com/dk-talks-kiteboards-episode-302
Part 2: kitesurf365.com/dk-talks-kiteboards-part-2-episode-305

For next months episode we have decided to change the format a little answer questions from the listeners - so fire away - what tech question do you have? We will drop them into the list and choose a few to cover in the TestCast.

Cheers

DK

horey69
QLD, 496 posts
27 May 2023 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

DK,
Hey mate I've been listening to the podcast for a while now. The addition of the tech talks has been great.
I'd like to here more about tuning the bar to the kite.
I'm a kite foiler that rides tube kites, when I get the kite in the air I play with the de power until the kite doesn't back stall when the bar is pulled in.
Is this the best way of doing it?
I ride for Slingshot Australia so I'm on the UFO and the matching bar.

Keep up the good work.
Grant Hore

LePhasme
WA, 59 posts
29 May 2023 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

Do you think it would be possible to build some kind of test rig to have reliable numbers on kite characteristics ?
Like when in 20kn wind this kite has a pull of xxx newton, when pulling on the left side of the bar with that much force it took 3.5s for the kite to go from 12 to 9, the kite start to lose it's shape from 32kn in 10m size etc
The biggest challenge I can think of is that you would need a lot of powerful fans to be able to generate consistent strong wind and probably use shorter lines to avoid having to find a 30m high building etc

poor relative
WA, 9089 posts
4 Jun 2023 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

Kitesurf365 TechCast - AMA (Ask Me Anything)

Why do seedless watermelons have seeds in them?

listery
QLD, 106 posts
4 Jun 2023 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Are seedless watermelon seeds safe to eat?

wombles
QLD, 42 posts
6 Jun 2023 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

Mmmmmmm watermelon.

poor relative
WA, 9089 posts
8 Jun 2023 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

Who really did let the dogs out?

Froth Goth
677 posts
14 Jun 2023 6:02AM
Thumbs Up

Yo DK

Why havent we made any CONCAVE C kites that have barely any power when flown normally but when you do an unhooked kiteloop the huge wingtips suddenly come into play and yank you flying out of the water and down wind like a death rocket ?

Think about it just use same chord and flat projection area of a regular kite but just blow the wingtips up like 70s flares make those wings so big the kite now has a concave shape. The kites strong enough to lift all that extra fabric and kite but now when you loop her theres so much more fabric for air to fly over createing a huge surge in power.

Ive been pitching this idea to designers for years i could never figure out how to get any cfd done to surfplan models was hoping someone wwith accesss to ozcad could but it never eventuated to prove or just see if a loop from this thing was surviveable. I got some arms on me from exclusively doing unhooked kiteing and cable

Everyone bleats the same its a kite only i would buy no one else would etc etc just run it thru some that software.lets see exactly what forces we got going on. Im happy to rig some dynometers to my kite lines and test it all out cheers

The other dk

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kitesurf365 TechCast - AMA (Ask Me Anything)" started by decay