Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kitesurfing Maldives

Created by Gtease > 9 months ago, 23 Oct 2013
Gtease
NSW, 12 posts
24 Oct 2013 12:16AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,
I'm after feed back anyone who has travelled to the Maldives and have had a seaplane transfer?
I'm wanting to take my kites. I have a kite bag which is around 150cm long that I have taken two kites and gear with all my clothes in it and normally is around 23kg.

I'm trying to get info as they seem to be strict with the weight on the seaplane transfer at the other end but I cant find out if their is a size restriction.

Anyone?

Caesar
QLD, 109 posts
24 Oct 2013 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

If it doesn't fit in there, they will ship it with the next speed boat/Dhoni. You might be a day or two w/o your gear.

But why would you want to take your kite gear? You will be lucky to find a place where there is kitable wind. I remember Herwarth Voigtmann surfing there in the old days. But he was on a BIG sail and could only do it rarely.

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
24 Oct 2013 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Caesar said..

If it doesn't fit in there, they will ship it with the next speed boat/Dhoni. You might be a day or two w/o your gear.

But why would you want to take your kite gear? You will be lucky to find a place where there is kitable wind. I remember Herwarth Voigtmann surfing there in the old days. But he was on a BIG sail and could only do it rarely.

se.kiteforum.com/kitesurf/country/Maldives

okin
QLD, 83 posts
25 Oct 2013 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

take 1 kite 9metre or smaller
if the wind comes up which i doubt, it will only be ahead of a squall

Main
QLD, 2327 posts
26 Oct 2013 7:49AM
Thumbs Up

GT

they take surfboards in those seaplanes when you go down to the southern atolls so you should be fine. They are pretty big planes - not the small beavers you see over here.

Ive been up there about 5-6 times on surf trips. there was a very rare windy surf season about 3 years ago that blew for about 3 months. The weather is seasonal so not sure when the windy season is or even if there is one ?

There's a monsoon season in about June/July when the best surf is. but the place is generally not know for its wind rather its popular for its lack of wind and and glassy waves all day. - Its in the doldrums...

Awesome place to go though. Havent been to the south atolls but heard plenty of good things.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kitesurfing Maldives" started by Gtease