Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kitesurfing Spot in Croatia - Viganj

Created by waterdonkey > 9 months ago, 28 Feb 2013
waterdonkey
3 posts
28 Feb 2013 1:51AM
Thumbs Up

Viganj today has become one of the most favourite windsurfing and kitesurfing spots in Croatia, for surfers all over Europe and world. Sea channel between Pelje?ac and Kor?ula and the wind that blows in it,provides ideal conditions for windsurfing and kitesurfing. Such conditions are due to its position at the narrowest part of Pelje?ac channel in which the wind gets multiple acceleration.The wind tends to blow twice as fast as it usually does in the Adriatic.In the summer, mistral(northwest) is blowing and this wind is the best for enjoyments in this sports.Mistral wind is perfect,constant wind and usually starts around 12am and picks up from 02pm to 08pm, the average strength reaches 5 beaufort, and if you are happy, up to 7!
The water is light choppy with a little bit of current because this is a channel,but nothing special.You can enjoy the most fantastic scenery because you can ride to the island of Kor?ula and its really beautiful.It is not a sandy beach but it is very beautiful with a lot of kiters and windsurfers.The water is crystall clear.Morning is ideal for first steps due to light breeze, and the channel appears like a lake and gives a feeling of safety for beginners and children.In the last several years expansion of kitesurfing and windsurfing forms spectacular pictures in the channel.
All this enables ideal conditions for various competitions, it should be pointed out 1989 when the World Cup took place and 1990g. European Championship, in addition Viganj traditionally hosts the Open Championship of Croatia and Croatian Cup in windsurfing.This summer in july Viganj will host the Formula Windsurfing World Cup from8.7 - 13.7
On the main beach Ponta in Viganj you have a windsurfing and kitesurfing center,rescue service ,restaurant,toilet,beach bar ,everything direct on the spot.I would suggest you stay in VIGANJ either in a camping site or apartments,because everything is within 1km

For more picture and info about Viganj, windsurfing go here

www.windsurfing-kitesurfing-viganj.com/

dbabicwa
WA, 808 posts
28 Feb 2013 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the report. Will keep it in mind next time I go to Peljesac, Croatia:)

Beaufort to knots conversion:

www.seabreeze.com.au/Help/Weather/What-is-the-Beaufort-Scale_1573065.aspx

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
28 Feb 2013 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

This is really spam dressed up with some nice pics. the site he links to is Waterdonkey's kite school etc.

Waterdonkey - correct way to advertise is by being site sponsor. Or at least join the site for a while, get in the discussion and build up a rep before advertising yourself.

smerds
VIC, 2 posts
28 Feb 2013 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

I kited here in 2011. Found the rigging and launching area to be so small as to be potentially dangerous. There is no sand, and walking over rocks with a kite is not very comfortable (booties a must). Lots of tourists and small boats in the area and often in the way. A good place to go for a kite if you happen to be in Croatia and have not other choice, but I wouldn't consider it to be a kite boarding destination. If you really want to kite, go elsewhere. Definitely NOT for beginners. I was a beginner at the time and that ended in a 1.5km downwind swim to land (which admittedly was very memorable)... however not something I'd like to repeat! I also had my kite fall out of the sky with one line landing on one side of a boat and three lines on the other side of the boat.. and I was left with yet another predicament to get myself out of!!.

Good times!! But not on my list of places to go to kite!

dbabicwa
WA, 808 posts
28 Feb 2013 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

^^^

Definitely not a huge and deserted beaches like here in Oz. You wont find this on many places in EU anyway:) Gee, I remember paying for a towel spot on a beach. In Italy, Turkey and Greece as well.

For sure you need to wear shoes, bloody sea urchins everywhere:( But hey, that's the only thing that can bite you

As a beginner much better choice was to go to the river Neretva, on the main land in Croatia, the other side of Peljesac. Flat water.

The Peljesac canal you see on the photo has got venturi effect, that's why is so popular.
Just across is the Korčula island, where you drink beer near Marco Polo's alleged birthplace. Can't be better than this. Gee I sound now like a islander:)

The other popular spot is Bol on Brač island.

And last but not the least, of all Croatian migrants in Perth, WA, most of them are exactly from Korčula. I recon about 8 -10 000 or more descendants.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
28 Feb 2013 3:29PM
Thumbs Up

kiteboy dave said...
This is really spam dressed up with some nice pics. the site he links to is Waterdonkey's kite school etc.

he spams it as a windsurfing destination in the windsurfing thread

stabber
NSW, 1114 posts
1 Mar 2013 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

sounds like..... big vaj... made me laugh...

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kitesurfing Spot in Croatia - Viganj" started by waterdonkey