Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kitesurfing in Greece

Created by polcom > 9 months ago, 5 Feb 2013
polcom
2 posts
5 Feb 2013 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hi everyone!
I am writing some information about kitesurfing in Greek islands.
In Greece there are many kitespots where you can ride.
In Cyclades islands the most popular spots are:
Pouda beach in Paros
Mikri Vigla beach in Naxos
Corfos beach in Mykonos.
But the best spots in Cyclades can't be visited by car but only with boat.
In Dodecanese islands the most famous spots are:
In Rhodes is Prasonisi & Kremasti
In Kos is Psalidi & Kefalos
In Limnos is Keros
Here also the most beautiful spots can be approached by boat.

If you want to organize a kitesurfing trip in Aegean islands we suggest you to get some information in http://kitespots.gr (the Greek kitesurfing portal) or let windtrips.com which knows better the greek seas, to organize the trip for you.

At your disposal for any further information about the Greek kitesurfing.

Surfy31
WA, 198 posts
6 Feb 2013 7:15AM
Thumbs Up

i went to naxos in may/june last year. It was supposed to be the start of the season but unfortunately we didnt get one day of the famous meltemi northerlies. awesome island and very friendly people made the stop over worth it.
I stayed at the flisvos kite centre hotel in mikri vigla. there are much cheaper spots to stay but this one was awesome with the brekky, balcony views, pool and the kite shop all in the same complex

Spitfire
WA, 396 posts
6 Feb 2013 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Im going to Greece in july/august. Can you hire gear there? I wont be able to bring my kite gear with me as I'm backpacking around europe for two week prior. I was thinking that I would just bring my harness.

Surfy31
WA, 198 posts
6 Feb 2013 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

the kite shop/hotel where i was staying in naxos did rent gear but you must show an iko level 3. they also obviously do lessons. dont expect any waves in grecce

airjunkie
WA, 142 posts
6 Feb 2013 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

Wow thanks polcom

sorry to hijack your thread but :

Once again the euros come through with welcoming and helpfull advice on visiting one of their countries and their beaches

another member from western australia tried to do a similar map not long ago but was shot down by multiple members of this forum

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/General/WA-Seasonal-Kiting-Map/

hopefully things will change in the future
( polcom if you read the thread were not all like that there's plenty of great beaches and friendly kiters here in WA)

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
7 Feb 2013 1:34AM
Thumbs Up

Air junkie something tells me there is a commercial interest here mate. I may be wrong, but I don't think so. I'm wondering what the average Greek kiter would think if he read this?

Just saying...places are getting crowded man or maybe you are too new to really notice the increase, which is an increasing rate, not a linear one.

polcom
2 posts
9 Feb 2013 12:26AM
Thumbs Up

samokta said...
Im going to Greece in july/august. Can you hire gear there? I wont be able to bring my kite gear with me as I'm backpacking around europe for two week prior. I was thinking that I would just bring my harness.

Of course you will rent gear in Greece but you will need an iko (International kiteboarding association) card level 3. The most popular spots have kite schools which you can rent equipment.
Which places or spots do you plan to visit?

Spitfire
WA, 396 posts
12 Feb 2013 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

My family and I are hiring a 50 foot boat in athens. Not sure where we will be going. Apparently there is a kite competition on some island which we will be at when its on. My brother lives in the UK so he is going to bring a kite and harness and will hire a board. I however will need to hire everything except a harness. I live in Western Australia and have no need to for qualifications. If i can show them i can ride is that enough for them? Happy to leave a deposit for damage.

I will be depressed if its windy everyday and i cant ride :(

studio9
SA, 36 posts
25 Aug 2013 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Polcom,

I am heading to the Aegean Islands in the last 2 weeks of September. Staying in Skopelos and chartering a yacht from Skiathos. Many hours research has returned little information on kiting either of these or the neighbouring islands. Any info on the Aegean kite spots?

cheers

studio9
SA, 36 posts
25 Aug 2013 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
studio9 said..

Hey Polcom,

I am heading to the Aegean Islands in the last 2 weeks of September. Staying in Skopelos and chartering a yacht from Skiathos. Many hours research has returned little information on kiting either of these or the neighbouring islands. Any info on the Aegean kite spots?

cheers

Apologies, just pointed out to me, that we'll be in the West Aegean Sea, in the Northern Sporades Islands....Any tips on spots to check out, would be helpful..

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
26 Aug 2013 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

Naxos has some great spots, but it's flat to choppy conditions. The Meltimi starts at sunrise and blows all day until sunset. It's awesome!

The other place I have been is Paros - there is a smaller island (called antiparos about 2 km away and you get a venturi effect between the two islands. Super flat and super fast!

Both islands are on the same ferry circuit from Athens.

An option I would consider for accommodation is to hire a campervan and tour around. Greece is one of the few European countries that still allows you to free camp. I would park up on the beach, wake up when the wind blowing around the van and head out!

Spitfire
WA, 396 posts
28 Aug 2013 12:30AM
Thumbs Up

My only advise is it bring your own gear. The cost to hire is ridiculous.

diamond2001
WA, 436 posts
28 Aug 2013 5:19AM
Thumbs Up

Went to rhodes island in 2011 at kremasti in july and had wind every day for 3 weeks.I was surposed to spend most of my time at paros ,but when I arrived there was now wind for the week.I looked at sea breeze back in perth and it was nuking ...cold ,but nukng...
Took 4 days off to check out Santorini then went to Karpathos .Karpathos is a windsurfing stong hold full german wankers that think there **** doesnt stink!
Its all offshore and dangerous for kitesurfing.There is spot near the airport where you can only kite after the windsurfers have finished.Crap spot to kite!.
Rhodes was awsome go there !.kremasti is choppy flat water and kremasti has waves.Only downfall was huge crowds ,but I can handle that.Its a good social if you like that side of kiteboarding.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kitesurfing in Greece" started by polcom