Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kitesurfing the Toress Strait region

Created by OceanAddicts > 9 months ago, 31 Jul 2012
OceanAddicts
QLD, 355 posts
Site Sponsor
31 Jul 2012 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone ever Kite boarded up around the Toress Straight region? Thursday Island.

Looks like there is a sick sand lagoon on the tip of Friday Island. I have spoken to keen windsurfer up there who sails up there regularly and he said he has never seen a kite surfer!

Im going up the next week and will be taking my gear. We have got a shack on Prince Of whales Island.

Its going to be quite interesting! Any tips from anyone would be great!

Luke

OceanAddicts
QLD, 355 posts
Site Sponsor
31 Jul 2012 11:08AM
Thumbs Up

Ha!! Just saw the bellow thread about the crossing of the Strait!!! Well done lads ill check out the facebook page for any info and pics you have.

Did you see the lagoon off Friday Island?

Luke

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
31 Jul 2012 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

... its been years since I've been there but one thing to watch out for is tides with big currents and back in my day, plenty of sharks! Great place, loved it there and was always windy, especially this time of year.

Have fun!

cheers,

Robbie

Scotty99
NSW, 144 posts
31 Jul 2012 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Have kited the area quite a bit over the last few years. Strongly recommend getting a boat and be very aware of the tides and the currents as they can exceed 7 knots.
The wind can be extremely consistent from sunrise to sunset and Ive had some epic all day flat water sessions.
Without giving too much away I think you'll be amazed at the variety and potential
As for never seeing a kitesurfer, I know a bloke that was photographed kiting on the front page of the Torres News.......

pattiecannon
QLD, 593 posts
31 Jul 2012 11:18PM
Thumbs Up

We were taking a short cut from the boat to the spare car we needed to get the first car out of the bog, but there was a 50m reef system, rocks, etc between us and the beach. We were drawing straws to see who was going to swim when a very shiny 8ft silver shark popped along to say hi. Needless to say, we took the long cut.
But it's the ones you don't see that they say are the problem, not to mention the croc's, ticks and mid strength beer, the fishing is good but.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
31 Jul 2012 11:31PM
Thumbs Up

hey Luke
Further to your call today...
There are some awesome places up there - no doubt about that.
But our trip was timed for neap tides (around 4 kts) & they still impacted. I dont know enough about it by any means but my info is that tidal currents reach as high as 9kts so any regular plans for kiting might have to work around that.
And boats are an absolute must-have. Preferably very close by - especially when you are close to the islands & the drop-offs off the fringing reefs.
Islanders also told me that winds can appear from nowhere taking conditions from what we saw (aver 15kts) to well over 40kts in just secs.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kitesurfing the Toress Strait region" started by OceanAddicts