Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kiting Tavarua

Created by davidwenck > 9 months ago, 12 Dec 2013
davidwenck
QLD, 20 posts
13 Dec 2013 12:00AM
Thumbs Up

Hello everyone. I'm heading to Tavarua Fiji in July next year. Has anyone stayed there and kited? Interested in knowing how accessible it is for kiting etc. Friends staying on Namotu the same week so hoping to get over there to kite with them but unsure how welcome I'd be. Heard different stories. Any views experience etc? cheers to y'all David

ezza
NSW, 561 posts
13 Dec 2013 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

We stayed on neither island but chartered a boat through FijiSurfCo (ask for Ian) each day to go out to the breaks. Cloudbreak is not owned by Tavarua anymore so it's open to boats and visitors from all around, although it's not overly crowded once the wind comes up as the surfers all come in. We organised ahead to launch from Namotu one day as one of our crew was affiliated with BWS, and had an introduction to Scotty O'Connor (owner of Namotu). We had a few beers there after. He's a friendly guy. I'm sure if your friends were staying there that'd be cool. Try the skull drag at the beach side bar ;)
Namotu lefts are super-fun cross to cross-off down the line waves.
I haven't kited restaurants and i'm not sure how/if it can be kited. The good surfers in our group frothed over restaurants in the mornings before the wind got up.
Cloudbreak itself is an epic wave and needs no introduction; i'm not 100% sure of the wind direction but it's cross-off to offshore so you really do need boat support unless you are a very independent kiter and the winds are good. You may be able to kite out from Tavarua Island?
I had 2 or 3 of the best days' kiting of my life in Fiji, coinciding with the "superswell" around my birthday May 3 http://www.thevagabond.com.au/2012/05/03/kelly-and-friends-cloudbreak-fiji/

The wave is mechanical and awe-inspiring. The days we were there saw 8-10ft swell. By far the largest wave I had ridden at that point. The reef is shallow and sharp so it's not for the faint-hearted.
Have fun!!! and be careful???
Ezza

Spookyluke12
QLD, 120 posts
14 Dec 2013 8:22AM
Thumbs Up

Stayed across the way at Namotu. There's plenty of places to kite depending on the wind direction within not far from Tavarua. You could launch at Tavarua and kite to where you want to go. Depending on direction (S/W), you could kite up wind to Cloudbreak if you wanted. If your into wave riding in particular, then you really need the southerly's. We had one day off NE, so it was completely off sure to the breaks. The boat guys from Namotu looked out for us and was a very memorable session. Had the most fun on Namotu lefts in S/W.

There's kind of an agreement between Namotu and Tavarua that you can visit each island and have a look around, yet on prior arrangement. Scott seemed like a nice enough bloke, even though some people said different. No one can just turn up there uninvited or without arrangement, including kiters, yachties, daytrippers etc. Namotu is really only set up for guests staying there. If you tell the guys at Tavarua that you want to kite to Namotu, they'll probably radio ahead, and let Namotu know. You'll be welcome there but don't just turn up unannounced.

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
14 Dec 2013 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

I couldn't imagine trying to kite restaurants. I have surfed there many times, and even the tiniest slip up will be chaotic. Uber shallow with satellite dish coral everywhere. Lines will wrap up way too easy.
I wish I was kiting during all the times I have been to Fiji, so many good waves and loads and loads of potential for kiting those waves. For those that scored, good for you. The place is set up well to have boat support. Cloudbreak at any size is good, but as Ezza mentioned, be super careful. I have been drilled straight down to the reef, (about 12 foot) in nano seconds, and pinned. Still have the scars on my knee from 20 years ago.

davidwenck
QLD, 20 posts
14 Dec 2013 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks very much everyone who replied. You're all giving me far too much credit for my kiting skills than is reality! Are there good flat water places to play around in too or smaller waves? Again thanks for all the good tips though around asking permission etc. I'd certainly planned on doing that. Cheers to y'all.
David

Spookyluke12
QLD, 120 posts
14 Dec 2013 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

There's plenty of flatish water to kite on the downwind side of reefs etc. Things is like the other guys mentioned the reefs everywhere and it gets very shallow in areas which you'll have to be mindful of. The water is so clear that it's pretty obvious where's safe and whats not. There might be some really flat areas with coral bombies just under the surface. That said there's so many great zones around the place that are deep and shallow. If you havn't been in waves much, at the northern end of Namotu lefts, you'll be able to work your way into the wave area in your own comfort zone, whilst staying clear of the reef. You'll love it there.

davidwenck
QLD, 20 posts
14 Dec 2013 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Spooky Luke. Can't wait. Motivation to do my best to progress over the next 6 months before i go. cheers again.
David

arwilson
QLD, 24 posts
17 Dec 2013 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Have stayed at Namuto twice (August both times). Brilliant - all directions, all conditions. While I have not stepped foot on Tavarua, what I'm told (and observed) is that it does not have a sandy beach, and the only safe access for kite launching (on the Nth end of the island as I recall) is tide dependant.

If you have mates staying at Namuto, you may be able to have them convince Scott to look after you (once or twice)... but remember what you are asking him to do is put his resources and time on the line for no charge - he is paying for his men, boats, insurances etc etc to look after his clients... so be mindful of what you are asking.

Upside of Tavarua could be if you get the right conditions, kite across to Cloudy and back.. but remember conditions need to be right for launch and retrieve ! (or Namuto and back - its only a couple of K's)

From Namuto, a number of times have done boat launch at Cloudbreak, and kited back Namuto via Tavarua. One session at resturants at the top of the tide and mild conditions -low tide is really risky.

Here's some videos with go pro in the canopy (on very mild days)- you can see Tavarua in the back ground on the one from Namuto,, the Cloudbreak tower and Tavarua briefly on the return from the boat launch.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kiting Tavarua" started by davidwenck