Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kiting around australia with a Dog

Created by hewsy > 9 months ago, 19 Jan 2010
hewsy
VIC, 27 posts
19 Jan 2010 4:33AM
Thumbs Up

Hello

We are about to travel around Oz Kiting & Surfing, we are taking our legendary Dog with us and would love to hear from anyone else who is doing the same thing & can give us info on dog friendly kiting beaches & any other helpful hints!

Cheers
Hewsy

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
19 Jan 2010 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

hewsy said...

Hello

We are about to travel around Oz Kiting & Surfing, we are taking our legendary Dog with us and would love to hear from anyone else who is doing the same thing & can give us info on dog friendly kiting beaches & any other helpful hints!

Cheers
Hewsy

I've tried kiting with a lot of things but a dog must be pretty hard to edge. If you're trying to go on the cheap, then look at a second hand board or trade your dog in for a piece of wood that you can put marine varnish on, but you won't get far on a dog in a downwinder, never mind riding around the whole of Australia on one.

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
19 Jan 2010 7:10AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Hewsy,

Don't know about the beaches, but you should be able to get the camping guide for people with dogs. It's a dog specific tourist/caravan park booklet which also lets you know which parks etc you can bring your dog to.

I've seen one before and know they are available so maybe just ask around at the local vets, or the nearest pet store. Most beaches out of town should be OK and just check with the local kiters at the metro spots.

Good luck and enjoy your travels.

KH

sebol
WA, 753 posts
19 Jan 2010 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

Unfortunately, near the cities, Australia is to my knowledge the worst place in the world to own a dog.
It is basically forbiden everywhere but designated crappy beaches.
Enjoy your traveling and give the legendary dog a pat for me.

Mistral
WA, 31 posts
19 Jan 2010 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

We just did a trip to Geralton and Shark Bay and were surprised to find out that you can take your dog to pretty much all beaches and Caravan Parks along the way. Some areas have more dog restrictions during the school holidays. It's a lot harder to take dogs to the southwest because it's all national park and there's not many places where you can stay with a dog. Although most popular surf spots have a heap of dogs running around. Definitely recommend that you get the book that Kitehard is talking about and plan your trip along that.

KIT33R
NSW, 1714 posts
19 Jan 2010 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

There's a book out "Holidaying with Dogs". It gives you a run down on dog friendly camping, caravan parks, etc.

theDoctor
NSW, 5780 posts
19 Jan 2010 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

have found that it also depends on the temperament of your crotch sniffer... if its a cool dog most people tend to overlook the no dogs allowed. maybe the rule is a just in case for morons with agro out of control mutts.

i always take my dogs or a dog with us...

one van park in a favorite spot in a natio' park on the far south coast overlooks the fact i take my little staffy because as i explained to the owner; 'despite the fact that she may look like a dog, she is infact a possum.'

myusernam
QLD, 6123 posts
19 Jan 2010 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

If you want to go into a national park or something where you cant take dogs, and your dog is not a complete shxt, Hit up some of the remote servo's (where the owners live on) along the way or a farmhouse or something and offer them a carton to babysit your dog for a few days.

sebol
WA, 753 posts
19 Jan 2010 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

There is no way I am going on holiday without my dog and dropping him off to a stranger at a servo
Hope you never have kids

hewsy
VIC, 27 posts
20 Jan 2010 12:41AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info & ideas guys.... Look forward to seeing you at a beach somewhere soon...just look out for Bruno the wonder dog!

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
19 Jan 2010 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

my dik is red my dog is ded.

BOOST
WA, 92 posts
19 Jan 2010 11:54PM
Thumbs Up

I would like to think there would be many friendly kiters that would let you borrow their backyard during a session. Just post before heading to an area and I'm sure you'll get a few options. Your welcome to drop Bruno into our yard if your kiting any of the Northern beaches of Perth.

Be careful around Margs, Yals, Duns in WA as the rangers do the rounds at the surf breaks and its not cheap if they get ya. I know from experience!

Good luck with it!

Jar6d
WA, 12 posts
20 Jan 2010 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

Also be careful with some caravan parks (Coral Bay for one).. you can take your dog, but can't leave it unattended at the camp site.

oh.. and Hi

Clayton Lee
NSW, 34 posts
20 Jan 2010 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

What kind of dog are we talking about here?

Danger Mouse
WA, 592 posts
20 Jan 2010 1:21PM
Thumbs Up

sebol said...

There is no way I am going on holiday without my dog and dropping him off to a stranger at a servo
Hope you never have kids

Yeah, I'm with you Sebol on that one mate, if I went my two dogs would definitely be coming.

myusernam
QLD, 6123 posts
20 Jan 2010 4:18PM
Thumbs Up

sebol said...

Hope you never have kids

is your dog small white and fluffy and answers to a person's name by any chance?? dog's arent kids

i said i dropped her there for a couple of nghts while we entered the park to check it out..very remote australia, no boarding kennels. freindly people at servo. she loved it

hewsy
VIC, 27 posts
21 Jan 2010 1:27AM
Thumbs Up

Foxhound/Beagle x
He is very friendly & a total cruiser!

Clayton Lee said...

What kind of dog are we talking about here?

hewsy
VIC, 27 posts
21 Jan 2010 1:28AM
Thumbs Up

Thats so cool, thanks mate! See you in Scarbs!

BOOST said...

I would like to think there would be many friendly kiters that would let you borrow their backyard during a session. Just post before heading to an area and I'm sure you'll get a few options. Your welcome to drop Bruno into our yard if your kiting any of the Northern beaches of Perth.

Be careful around Margs, Yals, Duns in WA as the rangers do the rounds at the surf breaks and its not cheap if they get ya. I know from experience!

Good luck with it!

hewsy
VIC, 27 posts
21 Jan 2010 1:30AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, good call...Thanks

myusernam said...

If you want to go into a national park or something where you cant take dogs, and your dog is not a complete shxt, Hit up some of the remote servo's (where the owners live on) along the way or a farmhouse or something and offer them a carton to babysit your dog for a few days.

Clayton Lee
NSW, 34 posts
23 Jan 2010 12:53AM
Thumbs Up

Look me up when you come to Sydney, he can come and play with my mutt while we both go for a kite.

And no - he doesn't answer to a childs name, but he is our fur baby.

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
23 Jan 2010 8:32AM
Thumbs Up

Its alot easier to travel with ya dog than a misses.
Leave the misses at the servo with the strangers for a few days

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kiting around australia with a Dog" started by hewsy