Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kiting in New Plymouth, New Zealand

Created by WindyWoman > 9 months ago, 5 Mar 2015
WindyWoman
WA, 14 posts
5 Mar 2015 9:43AM
Thumbs Up

Hi All

Does anyone know much about kitesurfing in New Plymouth, New Zealand? I am heading to NZ in 4 weeks and want to know where the best spot is and whether it's mainly just wave riding or whether there are a few flat water spots too as I have a friend who is keen to learn.

I did notice someone on the forum was from New Plymouth but cannot for the life of me remember the username and I also tried searching New Plymouth in the forum but the search came back with nothing.

Thanks in advance.

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
5 Mar 2015 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

You'd be looking for Plummet, pretty sure he's from N P.

WindyWoman
WA, 14 posts
5 Mar 2015 3:33PM
Thumbs Up

Oh great, thanks, I will shoot them a message.

Whangas
12 posts
5 Mar 2015 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Great wind, plenty of waves and flatwater between the swells. No harbours as such and pretty exposed to the roaring forties swells so you'd have to look hard For a true flatwater venue. Maybe the odd river mouth lagoon around up north or down south, not really sure.

mostly rocky coast along the surf coast with a few sandy beaches close to town and around opunake.

Awesome, wild coastline though.

Plummet
4862 posts
5 Mar 2015 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

Yep. I'm in NP. I've sent a PM.

This time of years fickle for wind and waves. So it may be stupid windy and massive swell or buggar all wind and no swell.....

m00chy
WA, 77 posts
6 Mar 2015 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

Yep, NZ to a tee. Anything can and will happen at any time of the year. But it can produce the goodies for sure.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kiting in New Plymouth, New Zealand" started by WindyWoman