Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kiting in Sydney/Northern Beaches

Created by Chris Shark > 9 months ago, 29 Nov 2007
Chris Shark
NSW, 3 posts
29 Nov 2007 2:20AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,

First a short introduction: My name is Christian and I'm a 23 years old Norwegian on a vacation from nothing to do even less (I pretend to study back home). I just arrived in Avalon after 6 weeks of everyday, off the hook kiting in Brazil. I'll be staying here for the next 3 months or so, and would really appreciate it if there's a true local hero here with time to answer a couple of questions.

First of all, what spots are good and which wind directions do they work with?
How many kiteable days can I expect a week at this time of the year, if I can go to any spot between Palmy and Sydney at any time?
And finally: Do I need to go to the west coast or take up wave surfing?

Also, if you're by any chance going to a beach in Nsw to kitesurf and don't mind me tagging along, I'd love it if you'd let me know. Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris

specimen
WA, 221 posts
29 Nov 2007 1:31AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Chris
The best spots on the Northern beachs for a seabreeze which north easterly is Palm beach up the north end, sometimes Narrabeen in front of the sands hotel. If its a southerly try Long Reef. But mate if you really want to kite and kite a lot this summer W.A is the place to be you can nearlly kite all week over here its the third windiest city in the world. I've moved a year and a half ago and I can kite 5 to six days out of the week work permitting of course, in Sydney lucky to get three. If you want to travel south go to dolls point but gets crowded.
All the best in your kiting.

bigmark100
NSW, 584 posts
29 Nov 2007 9:24AM
Thumbs Up

hi Chris,

Narrabeen or Long Reef (dee why ) are the best spots for kiting on the northern beaches - and you will get waves at both. Just head down there anytime there is a wiff of a breeze, you are bound to see some kites.
Unfortunately the wind has been a bit down so far this season.
Hopefully it changes soon.

Mark

loco4olas
NSW, 1516 posts
29 Nov 2007 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

bigmark100 said...

hi Chris,

Narrabeen or Long Reef (dee why ) are the best spots for kiting on the northern beaches - and you will get waves at both. Just head down there anytime there is a wiff of a breeze, you are bound to see some kites.
Unfortunately the wind has been a bit down so far this season.
Hopefully it changes soon.

Mark

That's if you're from down that way and like light winds and all want to kite within 50m of each other.

To answer Chris' questions:

NE wind got to Palm beach-wind is cross-onshore and you can ride the waves either down wind or up wind-depending upon your ability.
S winds got to Mona Vale.
SSE-SE got to Newport-great waves riding if there's swell.
Also you can catch the ferry from Palm Beach to Ettalong and kite really fun long (small) waves in SSW-SE winds.

Usually this time of the year 3-5 days-however the winds have been stuffed by a series of troughs shutting down the usual NE seabreeze at this time of the year and directing S changes away. Looks like there will be a NE's for Palmy this Sunday (fingers crossed).

WA is by far the better palce at this time of the year for nuking winds and some waves.

You want to private message (PM) for more.

bigmark100
NSW, 584 posts
29 Nov 2007 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

oh yeah, I forgot the about the north / south thing.....
you may find people up there think ...the north northern beaches are much better than the south northern beaches....
but us lot down here on the southern north beaches think they are full of it...
[}:)]

Chris Shark
NSW, 3 posts
29 Nov 2007 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all your help, guys! Guess I better go get myself a surfboard for the off days. Hope to see some of you at Palmy on Sunday if the NE'er decides to show up. Looks like the forecast changed from Sunday to Monday though.

If your local instincts tell you it's looking up and you suddenly find yourselves getting ready to pump your kites, I wouldn't be totally furious if you'd take the time to PM me :)

By the way, is Botany Bay worth checking out?

And does anybody know about a decent gym in the Avalon area that's kinda cheap and not overfilled with PTs and housewives doing yoga?

Again, appreciate your advice.

Chris

Flying Kiwi
WA, 258 posts
29 Nov 2007 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Chris,

Have a look at the pdf maps at http://www.nswkba.com.au/

halfway down the homepage, there is one there for North and South Sydney, with more to be added soon.

Have a look at the beach flags graphic on the map, most Europeans don't realise that we can't kite near the flagged swimming areas.

Botany normally gets 5-10kts more than Northern beaches on a NE.

You would be better off going to visit WA check out waksa.org.au.86.aspwebhosting.com.au/

Cheers, see you on the water
Gav

loco4olas
NSW, 1516 posts
30 Nov 2007 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

Chris Shark said...

Thanks for all your help, guys! Guess I better go get myself a surfboard for the off days. Hope to see some of you at Palmy on Sunday if the NE'er decides to show up. Looks like the forecast changed from Sunday to Monday though.

If your local instincts tell you it's looking up and you suddenly find yourselves getting ready to pump your kites, I wouldn't be totally furious if you'd take the time to PM me :)

By the way, is Botany Bay worth checking out?

And does anybody know about a decent gym in the Avalon area that's kinda cheap and not overfilled with PTs and housewives doing yoga?

Again, appreciate your advice.

Chris

No idea about Gym's mate-not really my speed.

Botany Bay is all flat water-good waves and wind at Wanda-usually 5 knots stronger than the N side.

Looks like Sun and Mon may be OK-BUT no waves and the troughs may fugg things up.

Chris Shark
NSW, 3 posts
30 Nov 2007 11:12PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the tip Uncle, you're right. Actually stopped by FF earlier today and plan on joining tomorrow.

Loco, yeah Monday might just work. PM me if you're going out!

molteb
NSW, 45 posts
7 Dec 2007 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

Er du kommet deg til Sydney nå?

Jeg bor i Curl Curl.

Vært dårlig med vind på Northern Beaches i de 3 mnd jeg har vært her.
Får håpe på bedre vind nå som det blir sommer.

loco4olas
NSW, 1516 posts
8 Dec 2007 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

molteb said...

Er du kommet deg til Sydney nå?

Jeg bor i Curl Curl.

Vært dårlig med vind på Northern Beaches i de 3 mnd jeg har vært her.
Får håpe på bedre vind nå som det blir sommer.

Are you a Martian?

Rebel
NSW, 165 posts
8 Dec 2007 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

Is it gonna be good enough to kite this sunday..
Its gonns storm its little feet off.
If there is enough wind the rain wont matter.. but the lightening and gusts could be a trouble..
hope we get some decent wind soon.
They are saying this weather is gonna stick for summer.. may be a bad year :(

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kiting in Sydney/Northern Beaches" started by Chris Shark