Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kiting off Legian, Bali, in August?

Created by Float > 9 months ago, 7 Jun 2015
Float
WA, 16 posts
7 Jun 2015 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

Has anyone tried kiting off Legian/Seminyak in Bali in August?

Heading for surf trip and not sure if worth bringing kite gear. I understand a bit offshore but is it too gusty for fun? Have ridden for 10 years so confident to risk a bit off offshore, if actually likely to be fun.

Being from WA my biggest kite is an 11m too, good from about 14-15 knots with my weight.

Any advice greatly appreciated...

high as a kite
SA, 1312 posts
7 Jun 2015 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

Hi, you can kite those areas but as you are already aware, the winds are off shore and light.
11 is no where big enough.
Sanur is a better option but you will need at least a 17.
You can get a wave further north from you at Balian but once again a bigger kite is required.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
7 Jun 2015 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

Did the trip a few years back, Sanur/nusa , perfect for a zephyr/ dyno, much more chilled there compared to seminyak, but it is kiteable but cross off at seminyak, I used to get a taxi to drop me upwind and do a dwinder stopping for the odd refreshment on the way to yo Bali hi , then buy the local lads at the kite school a beer and let them have a play on my zephyr

Phoney
NSW, 601 posts
8 Jun 2015 12:07AM
Thumbs Up

I was in Seminyak / Canggu in September. At times the wind was up to maybe 15 - 18 kts at times, cross on shore. So kite able on a 15m I guess. The sea was rough as guts. 6+foot swell and big open beach so it's like a washing machine. Not for the faint hearted.

I didn't have my kites with me. But if I did, not sure I would want to go into that.

taxi
QLD, 416 posts
8 Jun 2015 7:44AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Float I have booked a villa in Cunggu from the 5th of August ,kited there about 17 days out of 23 last year at the same time ,my biggest kite then was a 10m RPM , will be taking a 12m & 9m Reos this year , be keen for a kite maybe a downwinder or two from Seminyak to Cunngu , fun run..

iti
QLD, 417 posts
9 Jun 2015 12:33AM
Thumbs Up

17 mtr get lost kited there on a 11 mtr on plenty of times

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
10 Jun 2015 9:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
iti said..
17 mtr get lost kited there on a 11 mtr on plenty of times

Sorry, but I don't understand pidgin english. ^^^

lol.

YorksBoy
SA, 215 posts
10 Jun 2015 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

I've kited from the old bungie tower to changgu of shore at start then goes side shore as the coast bends fun waves

vespa
WA, 54 posts
13 Jun 2015 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

Lets keep this going! I'm there 8th Aug till 17th. Hoping a 11 reo will be enough. Be good to share a downwinder to Tanah Lot as the swells going to be big. Probably start in Berewa.

bigtone667
NSW, 1504 posts
15 Jun 2015 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

I am at Legion right now and Seminyak would have been kiteable on Friday on a 14. Swell was a very dumpy three foot, wind was mostly cross with a little off.

I spent eight dollars on a taxi on Saturday and went to Sanur. I flew an 18m chrono and was riding a 23 inch wide surfboard. No dramas kiting, but very shallow in sections. I could see other smaller dudes on fifteen LEI'S. But.... Make sure you have booties, the coral and sea urchins will show no mercy.

Hopefully I will get another chance today

vespa
WA, 54 posts
15 Jun 2015 11:33PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for update tony. Keep em coming.

Ricardo1709
NSW, 1301 posts
16 Jun 2015 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigtone667 said..
I am at Legion right now and Seminyak would have been kiteable on Friday on a 14. Swell was a very dumpy three foot, wind was mostly cross with a little off.

I spent eight dollars on a taxi on Saturday and went to Sanur. I flew an 18m chrono and was riding a 23 inch wide surfboard. No dramas kiting, but very shallow in sections. I could see other smaller dudes on fifteen LEI'S. But.... Make sure you have booties, the coral and sea urchins will show no mercy.

Hopefully I will get another chance today

Do some work ya bludger

Surfer62
1357 posts
16 Jun 2015 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
high as a kite said..
Hi, you can kite those areas but as you are already aware, the winds are off shore and light.
You can get a wave further north from you at Balian but once again a bigger kite is required.

12 more than enough for Balian and sanur half the time if around 80-90 kegs, it's a kite to weight ratio HAAK, you used my 12 at Balian but it was about 20 knots + Bali wind that day Big fella

<<<<<<< avatar was sanur last year on the 12

high as a kite
SA, 1312 posts
18 Jun 2015 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Surfer62 said..

high as a kite said..

12 more than enough for Balian and sanur half the time if around 80-90 kegs, it's a kite to weight ratio HAAK, you used my 12 at Balian but it was about 20 knots + Bali wind that day Big fella

Ok then Surfer,
To prove a point!!!!!!!
This year you only take your 12 and I'll take my 17 and lets see who gets the most sessions.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
18 Jun 2015 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
high as a kite said...
Surfer62 said..

high as a kite said..

Ok then Surfer,
To prove a point!!!!!!!
This year you only take your 12 and I'll take my 17 and lets see who gets the most sessions.

In the 2 weeks I was there it was my zephyr, a wainmann team rider was on his mig mama,the guys with 10s n 12s didn't ride for long or at all

djt91184
QLD, 1211 posts
18 Jun 2015 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

last yr I spent 6 weeks at Sanur. Weighing in at 80kgs I used a Airrush One strut 16m everyday I wouldn't take anything less to Bali. People with 13s and what not would sit around till about 3 in the arvo waiting waiting than do short tacks right out front.

danatgbay
WA, 53 posts
19 Jun 2015 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

+1 For big kite unless your 60kg. Hire one if you need to. 13 knots here is gutless compared to 13knots in perth

In lombok ATM. kited kuta lombok yesterday. Was there early wind was very light. was on 17 with a nugget SB. People on less could not hold ground. Would not have got in a session on a 13.

Off to sanur tomorrow hope we get good wind

high as a kite
SA, 1312 posts
22 Jun 2015 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
danatgbay said..

Hit up the locals a Putu's (we kite from there) about 400 metre to the left of Rip curl.

They are what the locals are about. Food is great. nothing is a hassle.
They have a boat for rescue.

Much better angle to get out to the waves.

danatgbay
WA, 53 posts
22 Jun 2015 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks I will check it out.

Looks like wind next few days.

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
22 Jun 2015 2:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
high as a kite said..

danatgbay said..

Hit up the locals a Putu's (we kite from there) about 400 metre to the left of Rip curl.

They are what the locals are about. Food is great. nothing is a hassle.
They have a boat for rescue.

Much better angle to get out to the waves.

What wind you getting there at the moment man, there in two weeks.

danatgbay
WA, 53 posts
22 Jun 2015 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

Saturday was 18 kknots which I missed due to a late transfer.
Nothing yesterday
15 knots today maybe a bit more. Started at 2pm and is still going. 20 kites up. Mostly 15s.

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
22 Jun 2015 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers how's the wind been trending...average....etc

high as a kite
SA, 1312 posts
22 Jun 2015 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

How long are you there for eppo?

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
22 Jun 2015 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

10 days about

danatgbay
WA, 53 posts
22 Jun 2015 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Locals saying it's been a slow start to their season. Kiting only 3 days per week. Today was earlier and above forecast. Now each day for the rest of the week the forecast has gone up and is looking a lot more consistent. I think you timed your trip well.
Dan.

high as a kite
SA, 1312 posts
23 Jun 2015 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

Been going to Sanur for years.

The wind seems to be at it's best mid July > mid August.

jeroen
QLD, 38 posts
25 Jun 2015 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

For the guys planning a holidays to Bali or elsewhere in Indonesia, check this (and bring your small kites):

The Tabuhan Island Pro Kiteboarding 2015 event will be held on Tabuhan Island in East Java - Indonesia from August 22 - 23. Tabuhan Island is a flat water paradise with beautiful white beaches and turquoise water and above all has steady winds of 20+ knots from May until the end of October.

This year's event will see prizes in excess of Rp. 100 million

For registration, please visit www.tabuhanislandpro.com

Check our Facebook Event Page on www.facebook.com/events/584758235000055/ and share it with your friends.

See you on Tabuhan Island!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kiting off Legian, Bali, in August?" started by Float