Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kiting on Lake Macquarie??

Created by Flako > 9 months ago, 12 Nov 2012
Flako
NSW, 19 posts
12 Nov 2012 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all, I have recently seen a few kites on lake Mac near Warner's bay teralba area. I am still learning the sport and would like to know what wind conditions you are flying in and where you are launching?? I am keen to learn on flat water rather than surf. Any help would be awesome!!

BoardCrazy
NSW, 74 posts
Site Sponsor
12 Nov 2012 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Flako

Lake Mac is normally best from South-West round to the North/ North West at a variety of spots (Swansea co-op South west - North West & Squids West to Northwest). Swansea Channel in a North Easter (Southern Bank) hope that helps stay safe as the Lake can be a little tricky at times.

MagicMike
WA, 210 posts
12 Nov 2012 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Flako
you can have some awesome sessions on the lake providing you pick a good launch point. Some launch areas such as the green point yacht slips are not for beginners whilst squids ink can be ok providing you have someone to launch you. Its sometimes good to have a knowledge of the lake so you can have an alternate landing point if you head out in light and variable conditions.
Newcastle kitesurfers have a facebook page where you can tee up a session with everyone, if you can find it then join up otherwise PM me and ill try to add you

wdric
NSW, 1625 posts
12 Nov 2012 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

G'day Flako
Most of the area around Warnersbay is not ideal for beginners
The guys you see there are generally all experienced and are using race boards and sail with the Windsurfers out of Marmong point

The launches and landings are a bit difficult with roads and power lines in close proximity so you need to have that sorted before heading there or have an experienced person guiding you.

All the places that Boardcrazy has suggested are the usual places to go in the correct wind conditions.

There are also some other flat water spots to the south on Tuggera lakes and north around Port Stephens.
Oldbar is also an excellent flat water spot during the summer seabreezes to improve your skills on a weekend kite trip.

But the sooner you like the wave the better as we got plenty of them at any beach

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kiting on Lake Macquarie??" started by Flako