Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kitrboarding Rowley Shoals WA

Created by sonya rachel > 9 months ago, 24 Dec 2011
sonya rachel
WA, 84 posts
24 Dec 2011 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

After flat water kiting, anyone been there n done that??
Ta :-)

doonut
WA, 257 posts
24 Dec 2011 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

Where ?

myusernam
QLD, 6123 posts
24 Dec 2011 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

rowley shoals over 200nm offshore of broome? Why would you kite there. expensive to get there and then there is more fun stuff to do while you are ther (fishing)

sonya rachel
WA, 84 posts
24 Dec 2011 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

Just playing with the idea of sailing up there n maybe kiting, yeah thats the place

ApatheticEnd
WA, 995 posts
24 Dec 2011 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

sonya rachel said...

Just playing with the idea of sailing up there n maybe kiting, yeah thats the place

Can I come?

username
WA, 24 posts
25 Dec 2011 1:30AM
Thumbs Up

mate has kited there says its pretty epic

myusernam
QLD, 6123 posts
25 Dec 2011 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

if you sail out there yourself in a yacht you will most likely have a crap tender (all yachties have crap tenders) so you wont have much support and the seaward side with waves would be dangerous without a backup ski or boat. Lagoon wont be all that flat.

trevor1
WA, 598 posts
26 Dec 2011 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

Balloon fishing for sharks ?

Coral Sea
QLD, 476 posts
27 Dec 2011 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

I have been working out at the Rowleys on a regular basis over the last 6 years doing reef ecotourism, so I know the the area reasonably well. I am a kiter, but I haven't kited there, although I do know someone that has, and they raved about it. It is a beautiful spot, but very isolated, with big tides that expose the reef, big currents, waves, sometimes lots of wind, and lots, and lots, and lots of sharks......in fact, it has probably the highest reef shark density of anywhere in the world right now. But....at the right tide, with the right wind, there is a great combo of shallow freestyle spots and some playful waves on the outer reef rim. The water is of course that amazing shade of turquoise, and the sharks are pretty friendly....I still have all my limbs! :-)

Send me a PM, I can give you some pointers. You will also need to make a careful check of the DEC zoning regs for Clerke reef, as the main cay (Bedwell Island) where you would want to kite, is a globally significant seabird nesting area, and I'm fairly certain there are some prohibitions against recreational activities in the green zone around the cay. Whether kiting is allowed or not, I can't say without looking up the zoning document.

cheers

Andy

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kitrboarding Rowley Shoals WA" started by sonya rachel