Forums > Kitesurfing General

Knots in Lines

Created by Maxiy > 9 months ago, 30 Sep 2014
Maxiy
ACT, 96 posts
30 Sep 2014 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all While kiting on the weekend i noticed that i have a few small knots in my lines. I have read somewhere on here that knots can decrease the strength of the lines??

Anyway i would like to get them out anyone know of any tricks ??

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
30 Sep 2014 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

Sit down with beer and a fork...... Chew on the knots then pry with the fork....... Yes chew

stuntnaz
NSW, 540 posts
30 Sep 2014 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

Tap the knot with a hammer on a flat surface
Roll it over and keep tapping the knot keep repeating this process and the knot will get so soft you will get it with your fingers

Rails
QLD, 1371 posts
30 Sep 2014 2:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stuntnaz said..
Sit down with a beer, tap the knot with a hammer on a flat smooth surface
Roll it over and keep tapping the knot keep repeating this process and the knot will get so soft you will get it with your fingers

small fix

Brohan
VIC, 528 posts
30 Sep 2014 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

I chew the knot, you can also soak the lines in water for a couple of minutes and then use a hammer if you don't want to chew on them.

Lambie
QLD, 739 posts
30 Sep 2014 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

As HP says chew on the knots - its the combination of moisture and movement that releases the tightness - BUT a word of caution , you arent trying to eat the knot so go easy on it !! A mate of mine took the above advice a bit far and literally chewed through the line in his haste to get the knot out - opps !

Ive never tried the hammer approach but could see that it could work also - again just go easy and take your time.

And yes knots create a significant weak spot in the line so best if they are not there!! Good luck

Maxiy
ACT, 96 posts
30 Sep 2014 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks all Looks like i will be trying my recent batch of homebrew a little earlier than planned

KiteBud
WA, 1542 posts
30 Sep 2014 12:44PM
Thumbs Up

The flat section of a pair of pliers works great along with some water/soap mixture to soften the knot. Once this is done, I use a pick which if carefully inserted won't damage the line and allow you to pry the knot open in a few seconds. Having to maintain 20 bars every season and undo knots on a weekly basis I found this to be the quickest way.

windreams
QLD, 258 posts
30 Sep 2014 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stuntnaz said..
Tap the knot with a hammer on a flat surface

Yep agree with stuntnaz and cbulota with this one... I lightly tapped and rotated the knot in my line using a plastic faced hammer against some solid timber for what felt like hours but really it was probably 30 mins. I also kept wetting the knot with ph neutral soapy water while tapping away- patience will see the knot came undone with your fingers. I would refrain from trying to stick sharp objects in the knot to separate the lines as you might cause damage. Good luck and remember paaaaatttience...

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
30 Sep 2014 2:58PM
Thumbs Up

I have been successful every single time using a rubber mallet and hard flat surface. It works every time. Just tap and roll, pry, tap and roll, and it will come good. Chewing works too, but if you have sharp teeth you can fray the line a tiny bit. Plus it hurts if you have to chew too long.

Plummet
4862 posts
30 Sep 2014 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

+ 3 for knot hammering on a flat surface.

THE DONG
VIC, 518 posts
30 Sep 2014 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Tie a knot of similar size on opposite line

Chris_M
2129 posts
30 Sep 2014 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

Yep saliva + hammer.

I have also done it with an empty beer bottle (used gently as the hammer) on a polished tile.

You don't want to use a rough hammer, or rough surface to lay the lines on cos you might start to fray the kite line.

Ragzilla
VIC, 240 posts
30 Sep 2014 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

i used fine nose players once. it worked, but be gentle not to frey them.get them quick, my old kite, i let them go for a while coz I'm a lazy C**T and it was impossible to get them out cause they were too tight.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
30 Sep 2014 8:45PM
Thumbs Up

Bet your mate a beer he carnt undo them, then simply sit back and watch him

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Knots in Lines" started by Maxiy