Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kuala Lumpur kitesurf this December

Created by Vatos Locos > 9 months ago, 7 Dec 2012
Vatos Locos
230 posts
7 Dec 2012 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hey everyone we are heading to KL next week just wanna know if anyone has kited KL and know the spots close to down town hope'n to get some waves if possible. Cheers T

mattyjee
WA, 575 posts
7 Dec 2012 11:56PM
Thumbs Up

Have you looked at a map lately? KL's not coastal... over an hour away. And definitely no chance of waves.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
8 Dec 2012 12:18AM
Thumbs Up

I've been to KL half a dozen times to visit mates since I started kiting, including side trips to Penang, Langkawi, Koh Lipe and Redang Island. Not once have I though 'gee, wish I had my gear'. I've never seen any wind of note.

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
8 Dec 2012 8:35AM
Thumbs Up

No wind, no surf and brown polluted water, if that's your bag, then take your gear.....

GreenPat
QLD, 4083 posts
8 Dec 2012 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

Rule of thumb I usually use: if it's within 10 degrees of the equator the wind is crap, unless there's some mountains causing a localized effect.

coastflyer
SA, 582 posts
8 Dec 2012 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Paul1 said...
No wind, no surf and brown polluted water, if that's your bag, then take your gear.....

I have travelled extensively to KL with my job and 9 times out of 10, there is hardly ever any wind. The 1.5 hour drive to the closest beach will greet you with mangroves and very polluted water. There is a kite-surfing group in Singapore, just down the road, but anywhere that close to the equator, will never have much wind. The following is a quote from a Malaysian local!

Closest and yet beautiful beach near KL...?

the answer is NIL... Not even Port dickson can make it...

Let me tell you what, don't expect Malaysia beach is as beautiful and clean as those others countries....

My advise is, you can't get a beach near KL which is clean and beautiful. Believe me, because I'm Malaysian too, Malaysian know better than anyone else.

If you really want to go somewhere clea and beautiful, go to Langkawi or Pulau Ledang.

Burls
209 posts
8 Dec 2012 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

I lived in KL for a couple of years and did some kiting there too, the following info is two years old but here's what I can tell you:

> The wind is basically crap. (As Greenpat said “if it's within 10 degrees of the equator the wind is crap, unless there's some mountains causing a localized effect.”)
> From December to February they do get some wind from the North East monsoon, but it is usually very light. (14-16M kites being the norm)
> The place to ride is at Kuantan on the East coast of Malaysia which is about 3 hours drive from KL. It's a long open beach with a very small waves, which aren't really rideable except for the odd occasion. The water is a brownish colour, but other than the colour it wasn't offensive.
> The kiters usually congregate at the 'Duta Village beach resort', and there is a bloke there call Leo Leow who runs a fairly basic kite school. (Leo is an old Malaysia windsurfing champ, turned kiter, and his mobile number used to be: +60-12-329 1336) Sometimes we would call to see how the wind was, and Leo would say “It's honking!”. The trouble being a 60 kg Asian bloke fully powered on a 14 metre kite doesn't exactly qualify for the wind to be 'honking' IMO. Not sure if he's renting any gear or not?
> Forget the West coast, the wind is super gusty and less strength than the east Coast. I have ridden at the 'Gold Coast' which is SW of KL, out past the airport, but never saw another kitesurfer around, and the chances of having your car broken into in the car park is about 50/50.

If you need any more info just PM me.

Burls

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
8 Dec 2012 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

My Dad lives in Langkawi for 8 months a year and get's planing on his big windsurfing kit about 8 times per year......

musikl
NSW, 63 posts
8 Dec 2012 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Hey,
In addition to what is said above, I agree that there isnt much wind here in Malaysia. I live in KL and study in Tassie, was expecting to kite here but since I got back I managed to kite once. And that was early Nov on the west coast, with a skim, and a 13m, im 70kg. The closest beach to KL is 1.5h away, past the airport. Morib, 'Gold Coast' and anything in between.

But the best chance to get proper wind now is to go to the east coast. Its been pumping (Malaysian standard) for the last two days now ranging 8-18 kts. You should look up wind forecast if you really keen on kiting (I normally use charts to see wind forecast movement/strength around South China Sea). Here is the local updates from Balok beach, (http://balok-wind.com/). I think its fairly accurate.

As for waves, east coast is the best bet. I recommend Chendor beach which is 10 minutes drive north of Cherating beach. These two beaches are some of our surf beaches during the monsoon season (nov-feb). Cherating is a point break, but Chedor is a beach break. Should be open to clean wind. Balok is a beach break too but its too choppy. Its just about 15 mins south of Cherating. Tioman Island is another option. Clean wind and swells on the east side of the island. I normally go there for surfing. But I think it would be too much of an effort for you to go there.
You can rent surfboards in Cherating, and Tioman.
There is a lake in Putrajaya (30mins from KL) where I sail and people windsurf. Its not the 'high wind' season now. And the local authority has yet to approve kiting here. Might want to keep this in mind. I'm hoping they can do it soon so that I don't have to travel so far
Hope this helps.
muss

Vatos Locos
230 posts
9 Dec 2012 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

Well thanks for all the latest info sounds like a shopping tour instead ill hit Mue Ne in Nam instead Cheers T

random101
VIC, 90 posts
9 Dec 2012 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

upsidedowner said...
Well thanks for all the latest info sounds like a shopping tour instead ill hit Mue Ne in Nam instead Cheers T

Shopping isn't even cheap in KL...

KL is just a constant average - everything is very average not saying it's a bad thing, it's not great and it's not bad...

Haydn24
QLD, 473 posts
9 Dec 2012 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

upsidedowner said...

Mate, check out Pak Nam Pran at Pranburi in Thailand.. Give Col an email at Airstylers there.. Wonderful business, beautiful spot, not crowded and usually very very good winds December/January.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kuala Lumpur kitesurf this December" started by Vatos Locos