Forums > Kitesurfing General

Last chance to object: NSW lifejacket proposal

Created by Robbo2099 > 9 months ago, 6 Jan 2010
Robbo2099
WA, 738 posts
6 Jan 2010 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

TOMORROW IS THE LAST DAY TO SUBMIT YOUR OBJECTION TO NSW MARITIME'S PROPOSAL TO REQUIRE YOU TO WEAR A LIFEJACKET IN ALL OCEAN WATERS AT ALL TIMES.

GO TO THEIR SITE OR EMAIL THE NSW MARITIME OFFICIAL BELOW:

Based on feedback we received from members, and from discussion and debate amongst the Committee, (and from feedback on the SeaBreeze forums) the NSWKBA Committee has submitted a Position Paper to NSW Maritime.

Response to NSW Maritime PFD Proposal _FNAL1.pdf

The NSW Government press release is here:

www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/index.html

The full Discussion Paper is here:

NSWKBA Members are encouraged to go to the NSW Maritime site BEFORE 8 JANUARY 2010 and submit your own individual response at:

Or, alternately, you can email

Tim Woolnough
Research Officer
Recreational Boating and Regional Services
NSW Maritime
Tim.Woolnough@maritime.nsw.gov.au

Jimmyz
NSW, 446 posts
6 Jan 2010 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

tobes said...

...otherwise I'll just have to add it to the list of laws that I occasionally ignore.

+1

GalahOnTheBay
NSW, 4188 posts
6 Jan 2010 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^ lol

theDoctor
NSW, 5780 posts
6 Jan 2010 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

my personal flotation device is attached to me by strings, 20mtrs above my head.

jt737
QLD, 418 posts
6 Jan 2010 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

The more people that bother to object to kiters being classified as everyday boaters, the better the chance to avoid this regulation.
Take the few minutes to have your say else Queensland will be next.....

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
7 Jan 2010 12:40AM
Thumbs Up

c,mon people we have to band together on this issue. It takes 5mins to have your say. Here is a sample of my response:

kitesurfers often need to dive under waves. A lifejacket makes this impossible, which makes it more dangerous for the kitesurfer as they could be hit by a large wave.

kitesurfers often use surfboards which offer superior flotation to lifejackets.

Kitesurfers learn how to self rescue using the kite as a flotation device in their first lesson.

A life jacket would limit a kitesurfers manourerability, which would make the kite harder to control, resulting in more danger to the kitesurfer and other water users.

The proposal to make the wearing of a lifejacket mandatory for all kitesurfers is ill informed and dangerous. NO expert in kitesurfing would ever agree that this proposal is a good idea. This rule would have the opposite effect to what it is designed for. I am a very safety consious individual and I have a passion for kitesurfing. Under no circumstances would I ever risk my own safety by wearing a lifejacket while kitesurfing. For the saftey of all kitesurfers please exempt kitesurfers from this proposal

page 6 is where you need to make your comment. Don't forget to hit the submit button on page 8.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Last chance to object: NSW lifejacket proposal" started by Robbo2099