Forums > Kitesurfing General

Learning to kite with friends...

Created by KiteBud > 9 months ago, 28 Jan 2016
KiteBud
WA, 1542 posts
28 Jan 2016 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

A reminder of why you shouldn't learn to kite with friends. Unfortunately this is becoming a very common sight on kite beaches...

Stay safe,

Christian

MichaelShepherd
WA, 42 posts
28 Jan 2016 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

The good old 'mate teaching mate' is becoming all too common. Unfortunately I'm seeing incidences such as this one regularly. It amazes me that people will take professional diving lessons realising the potential dangers but fail to recognise what can go wrong with a kite. Wake up people, being a good Kiter doesn't automatically make you competent to teach.

loftywinds2
185 posts
28 Jan 2016 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

What's even sadder about that video Chris, is that they are instructors - not her friends.

Trant
NSW, 601 posts
28 Jan 2016 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

Jeez you'd think someone would grab the kite at least.

Was she hurt at the end? Hard to tell and it seemed pretty gentle, wind can't have been more than 12 knots.

mywisdom
WA, 258 posts
28 Jan 2016 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

This looks like a good lesson to me, heaps of room down wind and super light wind with multiple people watching her (possible could have s helm on and in deeper water).. Saw much worse just this morning on the Mandurah estuary r.i.p 7m rebel

jackforbes
WA, 530 posts
28 Jan 2016 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

Not too bad for a first light wind relaunch though!

Kraut
WA, 542 posts
28 Jan 2016 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Body / buddy dragging at its best

Plummet
4862 posts
28 Jan 2016 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

I like her commitment to the body drag by fishpoling the bar and looping.

Gfly
165 posts
28 Jan 2016 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Holding the bar from behind the student has to be the most idiotic way of teaching anyone to kite. Lets hot launch the beginner then let go...

whenever I see this technique it always ends up with a kiteloop!

AussieDave
WA, 68 posts
28 Jan 2016 11:34PM
Thumbs Up

Darwin's theory at work I see here ...

fingerbone
NSW, 921 posts
30 Jan 2016 5:03PM
Thumbs Up

That gives me some new ideas on the kids skimboards

stuntnaz
NSW, 540 posts
30 Jan 2016 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

I'm hoping this is an older video , by the looks of That bar it's the old cab suicide bar ! For a student the leash should have been connected to the flag point above the bar not on the chicken loop !!

Ragzilla
VIC, 240 posts
30 Jan 2016 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

I taught myself.
Wouldn't advise it, unless you have good water competency, and a world class sailing history.

I struggled with board control, but my kite control was quick.

Got a buddy who is a dope wake rider, but can't control the kite for ****e.

Its that age old discussion on 'lessons vs no lessons'.
Been there done that.

But I am a better kiter than most who have done lessons. Coz I've made & done every mistake in the book, and now know how to get out of them, and what not to do again.

I self launch when the old kooks whine & whinge about it. Think they called it 'the idiots way' last time they saw me...... But that's why they wear helmets I guess!

Think its all about knowing your limitations.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Learning to kite with friends..." started by KiteBud