Forums > Kitesurfing General

"MY KITE" can handle stupidly high wind speeds

Created by meerkat > 9 months ago, 13 Nov 2008
EB
SA, 492 posts
16 Nov 2008 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

Hey waxman who was the windsurfer smashed up on the rocks,didn't think there were an polies left in Whyalla.When I left in 2000 there certainly wasn't too many keen ones left. Last year down the foreshore I caught up with a couple of the last sailboarders and they were out kiting. Good on them.
Cheers EB.

waxman
SA, 1390 posts
17 Nov 2008 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

There are still a couple of pole boarders in whyalla, the one that made the rocks was leigh fewster he isnt to old though not sure how long he has been windsurfing.

Skid
QLD, 1499 posts
17 Nov 2008 11:32PM
Thumbs Up

waxman said...

There are still a couple of pole boarders in whyalla, the one that made the rocks was leigh fewster he isnt to old though not sure how long he has been windsurfing.

Any relation to Tony Fewster? (used to work in the steel mill with him)

ewan kite
VIC, 926 posts
21 Nov 2008 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

was out again on my 6m switchblade ids and i weigh 53kgs in winds gusting to 42 knots. i just came back and it was insane. check graphs for saint kilda just so u know i am not lying.

ewan

Lincoln
VIC, 52 posts
21 Nov 2008 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

yeah i was out as well this afternoon on a 7m 09 fuel in 35knots gusting 40
it was awsome fun trying kiteloops
lincoln

EB
SA, 492 posts
21 Nov 2008 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

Last Friday was out on 12m Rebel launched in 25-28 but 15 minutes into it 30-35 was a lot of fun but the strength and fitness ran out quickly.Had no other choice of kite.Received the 8m 09 rebel 2 days ago and guess what? 15knot Westerly great 12m conditions. May be a while before I find out if the 8 is good for 40?

WF
SA, 116 posts
21 Nov 2008 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

EB,
As you guessed, most of the boys in Whyalla gave up being polies and took up kites. Haven't seen a windsurfer for almost 12 months, plenty of kites out though.
Good to see that you are still around.
Cheers

AB

EB
SA, 492 posts
21 Nov 2008 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers AB likewise,yeh still around Lovin it as much as ever only crossed over to the Dark Side in September was a long time comin. You weren't part of that crazy gang kiting in 50+, Look forward to visiting Whyalla after the Bub is born. What shell I bring 12 or 8? Possibly Jananuary time? I'll bring a surfboard for Walkers or even False Bay.
EB

Juz M
NSW, 156 posts
21 Nov 2008 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

75kgs, 139 board 11m 09 waroo and around 28-29 knots.

dism
NSW, 660 posts
21 Nov 2008 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

I'm still winning

"Wind indicators for all!" said the god of overestimation.

Just to clear up a few things, just because one gust (or it was gusting to) 28knots doesn't mean you were out in 28knots, it could be (but not likely) like 40% below that (if an extreme gust) (BOM says gusts can be 140% of the constant windspeed)

Petition for the renaming of this thread:

"MY EGO" cannot handle (without) stupidly high wind calls"

meerkat
WA, 644 posts
21 Nov 2008 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

waxman said
Just remember this forum is called my kite can handle stupidly high wind speeds.

less than 30kts isnt stupidly high wind unless you are tiny or your kite is huge.

It was a sarcastic title.

Anything over 35knots and your kite is getting damaged more and more by the minute and chances are you are "surviving" rather than kiting.

its great to see though that utube will never run dry of entertainment.

walshd
SA, 601 posts
24 Nov 2008 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Blake and Waxy, was this day the video from last year's Wank Factor movie?The Whyalla video said it was 39knts gusting to 48.5knts

Did I miss a day worse than that ripper?

Either way it was damn windy.

waxman
SA, 1390 posts
24 Nov 2008 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

There was one windier day than the one on the WF vid.

Dont know What you think Walshy but normaly in Whyalla 35kts is just another normal kiting day and you are out to have some fun small kites nowhere nere being fully depowered. Friday night in whyalla there were lots of guys still out on 12 and 13m kites gusting over 30kts and still putting on a good show. and almost forgot one man on a 15m flysurfer but not for long.

If your kite cant handle 35kts and its being damaged buy a real kite like a bandit dos or nemisis. There are kites that the windrange doesnt start till 30kts.

Dont be scared get out there and give it a go!

Wisha
SA, 255 posts
24 Nov 2008 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

Don't forget me Waxie who started the Friday session on my 16m Waroo. My arms are now 11 feet long.

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
17 Dec 2008 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

waxman said...

If your kite cant handle 35kts and its being damaged buy a real kite like a bandit dos or nemisis.

Strange you should say that. We had a 100kg guy out with a 9m Nemisis Pro in 40knots this last weekend. He couldn't if pick the kite up over his head on gybes without getting lifting in the air on the gusts and that was picking it up slowly. He had two runs and came in. It hit 45-50 later and if you could go out on a 9m bandit or any other 9m kite, you'd need to be a 250kg gorilla or god.

Either your wind is hollow as hell or one of you needs to actually take a wind meter to the beach instead of relying on reports from beacons that may be reading different wind to what you are getting. My guess is that the beacons are not reading what you are riding.

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
17 Dec 2008 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

me 80 kg:

kite 15 meter yarga

Windspeed 11 knots(gusting to 13-14)

Almost shat my pants when I launched off a half foot wave and landed at least 20cm downwind. What a day!

waxman
SA, 1390 posts
18 Dec 2008 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

Saffer said...

waxman said...

If your kite cant handle 35kts and its being damaged buy a real kite like a bandit dos or nemisis.

Strange you should say that. We had a 100kg guy out with a 9m Nemisis Pro in 40knots this last weekend. He couldn't if pick the kite up over his head on gybes without getting lifting in the air on the gusts and that was picking it up slowly. He had two runs and came in. It hit 45-50 later and if you could go out on a 9m bandit or any other 9m kite, you'd need to be a 250kg gorilla or god.

Either your wind is hollow as hell or one of you needs to actually take a wind meter to the beach instead of relying on reports from beacons that may be reading different wind to what you are getting. My guess is that the beacons are not reading what you are riding.

getting lofted on turns is sick live for that **** but seriously if your only going up 10ft or so whats so scary about that you do come down just gives you a bit of time to grab roll boardoff or whatever. bandits depower lots i have seen a 60kg instructor hold down a 12m in 30kts.

pfr
NSW, 156 posts
18 Dec 2008 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

54kts waxman i cant stand up in 54 kts. for me i was on the lake in a westerly on my 10m sb and it was 15kts for about 20mins then big squalls came through and i thought yes i will die . made it in and a mate had a wind guage up and told me it got to 38kts. most prob stronger up higher.

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
18 Dec 2008 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

pfr said...

54kts waxman i cant stand up in 54 kts. for me i was on the lake in a westerly on my 10m sb and it was 15kts for about 20mins then big squalls came through and i thought yes i will die . made it in and a mate had a wind guage up and told me it got to 38kts. most prob stronger up higher.

Exactly. I felt 45 knots on my 12m bow kite. I had the kite pushed through the stopper (in so called 100% depower mode) and I was being dragged while I was sitting down on the sand trying to hold it. Putting a 9m up in 55 would be the equivalent and that means you would have to ride with so little tension on the back lines, you couldn't even steer.

In 50 knots last weekend, it was difficult just walking with your kite, nevermind launching it. I reckon I could have got up and planing on a 2m trainer. We tried going for a canoe as a joke and I could ride downwind at speed just by holding up one blade of the paddle.

I stand by my comments. Put a wind meter on the beach the next time you go out in 56 and lets see what the real wind is because I think your beacon measurements are not what you are really riding.

walshd
SA, 601 posts
19 Dec 2008 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

Yeh that beacon always seems a bit exagerated, but may still be correct??

Last night was one of those typical whyalla nights where the seagulls fly backwards. Maxed out on the 9m in the gusts.

I would have sworn it was 28knts gusting to 40. The airport said it was 23-31knts. The beacon said 32-39knts.

Getting F'ing massive air on those gusts.

fozzy
SA, 501 posts
19 Dec 2008 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Meerkat, you might want to consider editing the title to "whose got the biggest d*ck!

airush geoff
974 posts
19 Dec 2008 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

fozzy said...

Meerkat, you might want to consider editing the title to "whose got the biggest d*ck!

Me, me - I do !!!!

dism
NSW, 660 posts
19 Dec 2008 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

fozzy said...

Or you could call it "Kitesurfing cancelled: Petition for a volunteer to get the sport cancelled by doing dumb*hit"

Manny
WA, 89 posts
23 Dec 2008 5:04AM
Thumbs Up

Right, I think I might be sold on the idea of flying a smaller kite on the windier days. I weigh 97-100kg so I can ride with my 12m naish pretty comfortably even in quite strong wind. I`m not sure about wind speeds I don`t carry a wind speed thingy. But yesterday I was teaching my daughter on a 8m Rise and I decided to have a go when she was finished. Wow, it was such good fun! With yesterdays wind I didn`t think the 8m would even get me going much, but I was wrong. Because the kite is so quick I just had to work the kite a few times and it got me up to speed. Even getting me up in the air wasn`t a problem. It was such a rush because I`m so used to flying the 12m the 8m is like getting out of your old trusty 4x4 and jumping into a ferrari. And the quickness of the kite definitly teaches you better handling skills as I experienced, one over steer on the bar and your ribs are gonna pay. Good Fun!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

""MY KITE" can handle stupidly high wind speeds" started by meerkat