Forums > Kitesurfing General

Missing kite boarder found on beach in Whitsundays

Created by Peterc150 > 9 months ago, 18 Aug 2015
Peterc150
VIC, 710 posts
18 Aug 2015 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

Cannonvale kite surfer's knowledge of the tides may have saved his life on Sunday. The 19-year-old was kite surfing off Daydream Island late yesterday afternoon when the wind died near North Molle Island. Currents started to pull the teenager out to sea so he cut his kite loose

He knew the tide would take him in, so he used that to get to west North Molle.

Volunteer Marine Rescue and the RACQ CQ Rescue Helicopter set out to find him at 8pm last night. They found him on North Molle Island.

No life jacket, no EPIRB and no radio so he's a lucky lad.

www.dailymercury.com.au/news/missing-kite-boarder-found-beach-whitsundays/2742444/

Freddofrog
WA, 522 posts
18 Aug 2015 1:42PM
Thumbs Up

Why would you cut off your kite? I would have though it's much more visible from the air, helps you float, provides shade...

Plummet
4862 posts
18 Aug 2015 1:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Peterc150 said..

Who the hell regularly kites with an epirb, life jacket and radio?

Peterc150
VIC, 710 posts
18 Aug 2015 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Plummet said..

Peterc150 said..

Not many kitesurfers. So if something like this happens and you drift off shore, good chance you will become shark $h!t

Lambie
QLD, 739 posts
18 Aug 2015 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^ I hear all in kiters in WA carry all 3 all the time - or so the rumour goes !! - Im sure this kid got further than 400m from the beach ;-)

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
18 Aug 2015 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Plummet said...
Peterc150 said..

Pilot pete

Smithy
VIC, 858 posts
18 Aug 2015 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Peterc150 said..
Currents started to pull the teenager out to sea so he cut his kite loose

He knew the tide would take him in, so he used that to get to west North Molle.

I'm so confused..... Currents out, tide in... What the

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
19 Aug 2015 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

... I recently watched this poor bugger who dropped his kite strutless kite in the calm of the lagoon only to have a current take him out the lagoon via a channel and back around into the wave impact zone! He would have gone round again if he hadn't hopped off and stood on the reef, looked like he just lay ontop of the kite the whole time.

It happens hey, glad to hear young fella made it ok!

Shark Biscuit
NSW, 340 posts
19 Aug 2015 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Freddofrog said..
Why would you cut off your kite? I would have though it's much more visible from the air, helps you float, provides shade...

I totally agree, I'd never ditch my kite for those reasons.

gokid
QLD, 491 posts
19 Aug 2015 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

Never ditch your kite unless your 2 km from the coast

In strong offshore wind with a snapped powerline

About to be dragged thought a massive bait boil

pilotpete
WA, 147 posts
19 Aug 2015 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

kites with an epirb, life jacket and helmet

djt91184
QLD, 1211 posts
25 Aug 2015 11:37AM
Thumbs Up

Erring on the side of caution, the last place I would want to be attached to a useless kite as dusk cometh anywhere in the great barrier reef. Extreme water movement through the islands and passages not to mention those bitey things we keep hearing about. Local knowledge prolly saved his ass. Who cares about the kite they are still making them

kernal
WA, 541 posts
25 Aug 2015 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

Island hopping in the whits no joke if the winds up the whit channell is bloody sketchy been a few years now since I did my stints but I allways let coast guard know where amd when my movements would be and checked with scamper when they had customers and where they were going from which island so if I got stuck without wind id know which island I could wait for a retrieve from. Id like to meet the young lad hes probably just ****ed my chances opening a kite school around the whit. If you are crossing the channell I suggest you bloody know what your doing and have a means of carrying several liters of water etc with you. Light winds are by far easiest option as less dramatic wind shadows and the waves arent higher then your head if you cant work the venturis to your advantage better bloody least have a sat phone to organise a retrieve when **** goes pear shaped. Not cheap.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Missing kite boarder found on beach in Whitsundays" started by Peterc150