Forums > Kitesurfing General

Moving to Melbourne from Perth

Created by newo > 9 months ago, 29 May 2014
newo
WA, 250 posts
29 May 2014 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Guys,

As someone that has lived on the west coast all my life, I am now following the misses to Melbourne for a few years.
I know there are kiters there, but looking for some detailed info, on wind range, season time, where are the spots, and are there any waves for downwinders or is it all flat water?
Should I forget about kiting and sell all my gear and wait till I come back to Perth?
Any info would be awesome :)

Cheers!

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
30 May 2014 12:28AM
Thumbs Up

Wind all year round. 7, 9 and 12. Waves an hour and a half drive from city both east and west coast. Can kite every direction if you have a car. Closest spots to city are st Kilda Brighton and Altona. ****in cold on winter 4/3 wettie.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
29 May 2014 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
newo said..

I am now following the misses to Melbourne for a few years.

Cheers!

Oh Dear

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
30 May 2014 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
puppetonastring said..
newo said..

I am now following the misses to Melbourne for a few years.

Cheers!
Oh Dear

... nah dude,, that's a great idea,,,,, she works and he kites,,,,,, gets to taste other waters and meet new friends,,,, sounds ok to me!

Hybrid_Z
VIC, 382 posts
30 May 2014 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

I did the opposite to you and came from Melbourne to Perth. I'm not sure that i could go back to kiting in Melbourne now, i could certainly go back to living there though.

The weather is unpredictable, never really know what you are going to get. I reckon i used to get out just as much in the winter as i did in the summer and i don't mean that as a positive. In the winter the water is freezing, in the summer its still cold compared to Perth. Flat water in Melbourne isn't as flat as in Perth (the only exception possibly being St Kilda which is tiny) and waves have nothing on Perth. If you enjoy riding on choppy mush however you will be in heaven.

Its not all negative though, Victorians are mostly awesome people.

vendeavours
VIC, 361 posts
30 May 2014 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

Waves are good if you know where? 1 to 2hrs from town and (wind chop at bay end of Melb can be fun as well 3rd pic)

castill0jf
VIC, 563 posts
30 May 2014 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

Welcome to Melbourne. It is not Perth but it is an amazing place to kite or surf all year.

SaltySinus
VIC, 960 posts
30 May 2014 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

Big eeeZeee said..

Wind all year round. 7, 9 and 12. Waves an hour and a half drive from city both east and west coast. Can kite every direction if you have a car. Closest spots to city are st Kilda Brighton and Altona. ****in cold on winter 4/3 wettie.

Yep 12,9,7 and you're covered all year. If you're city based then invest in a twin tip and you can try something other than going backwards and forwards on the flats of the Bay.

There are some do and don't go places. .... This link, curtosy of PeterC on this site will give you a good start.

www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=16TLfrgqZHfMDKTdhkC4I0c3f0Uw&hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=-38.259201,145.184176&spn=0.838682,0.848136&source=embed&dg=feature

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
30 May 2014 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

I love that photo of the right hander let me know when it's firing and the water is over 25 deg and I am there

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
30 May 2014 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

I hear the coffee is better in Melbourne

tomme
VIC, 475 posts
30 May 2014 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

Im sure plenty of people are happy to have a beer with you, drop in to The Zu and Kite republic to have a chat to the guys and im sure you will meet a slew of people pretty quickly.

any sense of area you are looking to move to?

vendeavours
VIC, 361 posts
30 May 2014 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TurtleHunter said..

I love that photo of the right hander let me know when it's firing and the water is over 25 deg and I am there

Good on ya I can get 25 deg out side for you, but the water temp is a lovely 16 deg Sh## thats ok we never fall off !!!

newo
WA, 250 posts
30 May 2014 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Wow, thanks for the friendly responses guys :)
Looking at innercity living at the moment.
Docklands, Southbank or South Melbourne?

I've been told to stay away from the inner city suburbs in the west.

Thanks heaps for the suggestions and pics of the waves look awesome. I bet that is a freak session :P

Phoney
NSW, 601 posts
30 May 2014 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
newo said..
I've been told to stay away from the inner city suburbs in the west.

I disagree, I've got friends who live in Yarraville and I reckon it's a great area (coming from a Sydneysider). Nice houses, good cafes, 10 mins on the train to the city, and more importantly a 15 min drive to Altona from there.

Peterc150
VIC, 710 posts
30 May 2014 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

PM me when you arrive, I will introduce to some of our locations. Not for a few weeks though as I have a broken shoulder (not kiting)

werty
WA, 119 posts
30 May 2014 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

melbourne is unreal man i move there in 1999 and it took me till 2009 to leave t
he surf rocks the kiting is good so many spots with so few people,
Not to mention the fact merimbula is only 5 hours away
Try to live bayside, Elwood, Brighton, Sandringham, pubs food people no aggro I loved Melbourne, they do know how to party, a earthcore party is good way to get the vibe.

THE DONG
VIC, 518 posts
31 May 2014 12:20AM
Thumbs Up

just excuse the wind at the moment.. it is currently in getting serviced for the real season.... maybe more west oz guys should come down to vic for winter and help harden them up

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Moving to Melbourne from Perth" started by newo