Forums > Kitesurfing General

My Video of Kitesurfing Fiji

Created by Greggor > 9 months ago, 11 Aug 2014
Greggor
QLD, 191 posts
11 Aug 2014 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

Just a little edit of my time in Fiji in July with the Kitepower QLD guys, there was no wind for a couple of days so the kiting starts halfway through, hope you all enjoy.

Paul & Mark i figure you will see this on here since you dont have facebook

.be

bobjaan
WA, 314 posts
11 Aug 2014 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry if this was an X factor audition it would be a NO from me.

Greggor
QLD, 191 posts
11 Aug 2014 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bobjaan said...
Sorry if this was an X factor audition it would be a NO from me.

Haha ouch! All good bobjaan, I don't claim to be awesome with the twisty twirly stuff, nor with a camera, that was my first edit I've ever done, just a regular kiter having some fun and sharing the stoke

Mattho
QLD, 17 posts
19 Aug 2014 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Well done on capturing an expensive couple of days of kite surfing. Looks consistant with the weather we had a month ago. Cost of kiting worked out to be about $400/hr of actual kiting. There's better value to be had here in Nth Qld over the winters months. Be interesting to know others feedbank.
Out of 10
Value:
Kiting:
Food:
Accommodation:
Hospitality:

I wouldn't recommend this trip for beginners!

fingerbone
NSW, 921 posts
26 Aug 2014 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

$400/hr you say.......

Looks like Fiji is off the menu...

Odkite
QLD, 106 posts
27 Aug 2014 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

Nice one!

Even without allot of kiting Fiji is an awesome place :)

Greggor
QLD, 191 posts
27 Aug 2014 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mattho said..
Well done on capturing an expensive couple of days of kite surfing. Looks consistant with the weather we had a month ago. Cost of kiting worked out to be about $400/hr of actual kiting. There's better value to be had here in Nth Qld over the winters months. Be interesting to know others feedbank.
Out of 10
Value:
Kiting:
Food:
Accommodation:
Hospitality:

I wouldn't recommend this trip for beginners!

Yea it did suck we had a few days of light wind, but the Kite power Sydney guys who went after us and the guys who went two weeks before us had a very windy weeks, so it really is the luck of the draw as to what you get, cant help mother nature. I basically used the trip as an excuse to get away from work (out of convenient mobile range), chillout and meet some like minded people and have a good time, so I class the holiday as a success.

I agree, this trip is not really for beginners, deep water boat launches are defiantly not something i would of liked to do when i was learning, especially when your lines invert, but im glad to have done it now, great skill to have.

makntracks
NT, 132 posts
27 Aug 2014 3:57PM
Thumbs Up

August Bali trip cost me about $2.30 per hour of kiting, and $2 of that was bintang. I know where ill be going next year...

Bobbytas
TAS, 2 posts
4 Nov 2014 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Good to hear you guys got some good kiting in the end. Thanks again for your friendly hospitality, I learned heaps on the day we tagged along.
Cheers, Bobby (from the yacht).

Maxiy
ACT, 96 posts
5 Nov 2014 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

@ Mattho I went last year on this trip (with the sydney guys) and i had a blast, best thing i ever did. At the time i would have considered myself as a seasoned beginner hahaha, had been doing it for a year or so but had only really got our on the water a handful of times. This trip let me get the skills and confidence i needed to really get me out and cracking. so i have to disagree with your comment about it not being suitable for beginners. Like any holiday though it will suit some better than others, i live in canberra so never get much kite time so this trip suited me to a T.

In regards to your comment about $400/hr for kiting. I was there for 7 days, i got 6 days of flat out kiting 8 hours a day (although i never lasted the full 8 hours haha) i was on my 8m every single day, had plenty of options on where to go aswell, so i would have to disagree with that comment also. But like any kiting it is luck of the draw, sometime the wind shows up, sometimes it does not, doesn't mean the trip is always a waste of time.

here is my rating

Value: 7
Kiting: 9 (please not iam still very much a NOOB of thsi sport so it doesnt take much to please me)
Food: 10
Accommodation: 7 (Basic but comfortable)
Hospitality: 8

that is my 2 cents. Greggor glad you had a good time, i know i had a ball.

MrTwist
VIC, 95 posts
5 Nov 2014 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

@ Mattho

I also disagree and think this is a great spot for beginners. I went last year with KR in Victoria, at the start of the trip I was only going downwind and had poor kite control. After a week of kiting I was confident going upwind, riding toeside, doing little pops and was making my first attempts at back rolls. We kited twice every day par one because there was too much wind and only the seasoned kiters went out.

I had no problem with the deep water boat launches, just do what you are told and it works. I think it is lot safer when you're learning to be in the deep sea than at your local beach where there is generally obstacles on the beach (posts, buildings, car park), swimmers and dog walkers and old people taking a sunset stroll.

Went again this year and got unlucky with the wind, but this can happen anywhere, had a good time anyway and would go again.

Greggor
QLD, 191 posts
5 Nov 2014 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bobbytas said..
Good to hear you guys got some good kiting in the end. Thanks again for your friendly hospitality, I learned heaps on the day we tagged along.

Hey Bobby, your absolutely welcome, the next few days were the best after you left, did you end up going to Namotu? If your ever up in Brissy look us up and we can show you around and have a kite.

theWaterBoy
WA, 225 posts
5 Nov 2014 3:07PM
Thumbs Up

I pressed play on the video and then saw that is was 14 minutes long, so pressed stop.

Pheebobafet
NSW, 124 posts
7 Nov 2014 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

If you surf, kite, skin dive and fish go to Fiji. you won't be dissapointed.

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
7 Nov 2014 7:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Greggor said..
Just a little edit of my time in Fiji in July with the Kitepower QLD guys, there was no wind for a couple of days so the kiting starts halfway through, hope you all enjoy.

Paul & Mark i figure you will see this on here since you dont have facebook

Greggor, nice trip! Was Jon with you guys? I am surprised you did't take a Chrono or a Flysurfer foil for those flukey winds. Where was it exactly and the resort?

Greggor
QLD, 191 posts
7 Nov 2014 12:10PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Lofty, no Jon didnt come, from memory he had just gotten back from his own kite trip. I would love it if Jon had a demo chrono, we would of gotten a bit more kite time with one but its an expensive technical piece of gear to allow us amateurs to jet off alone with it. I circled where the resort is. It is basically a 4 hour bus trip and a 30min boat trip to the Island, are you looking at going?

Bobbytas
TAS, 2 posts
8 Nov 2014 2:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Greggor said..

Bobbytas said..

Hey Bobby, your absolutely welcome, the next few days were the best after you left, did you end up going to Namotu? If your ever up in Brissy look us up and we can show you around and have a kite.

Yeah mate, got some good days in at Cloudbreak(surfing). There was some kiters at Namotu one day and a couple of kites out at cloudbreak another day. The wind was a bit weird over that side. Would glass off and turn NW seabreeze most days we were there.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"My Video of Kitesurfing Fiji" started by Greggor