Forums > Kitesurfing General

My first kiteboarding kite

Created by MikeDobbs > 9 months ago, 28 Jul 2011
MikeDobbs
6 posts
28 Jul 2011 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

I am brand new to kiteboarding and considering purchasing a 2011 Argo. Does anyone have any experience with this kite? Would it be a good choice for a new rider?

I was just about sold on the Argo when a local kite shop decided to blow out his inventory of 2011 Best Taboo's. I can get a Taboo complete with bar for right around the same price as the Argo. Taboo seems like a more aggressive kite, but at this price it might be worth it once I get past the initial learning curve?

Any help would be appreciated.

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
28 Jul 2011 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

g'day Mike,

I own an argo and think it is a really good kite. I wish that I could have learned on a kite as good. My learning curve would have been much quicker. They are very stable, fly upwind, relaunch super easy, and have plently of depower on tap, plus they are very well constructed (they can take a good flogging) these are all attributes to look for in your first kite. They have more than enough performance to grow into. They excel in the waves which is why I have one, but are also great freeride kites. Probably the only weakness is they aren't the best kites for unhooked tricks.

I can't comment on the taboo, but you can't go wrong with the argo

radman4
678 posts
28 Jul 2011 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

Argo is a real user friendly kite,better bottom end for a lerner,stable as and built tough,i use them in my kiteschool and they get abused, great kite.
As a lerner you want good bottom end and stability,argo fits the bill.

speed brother
QLD, 126 posts
28 Jul 2011 11:41PM
Thumbs Up

Get yourself a Cabrinha switchblade. I don't ride them but they are very easy and safe to ride. Just like a Volvo stationwagon.

MikeDobbs
6 posts
29 Jul 2011 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

So it looks like I'm down to a 3 kite race:

2011 Best Kahoona
2010 Cabrinha Switchblade
2011 Griffin Argonaut

Anyone able to comment on any of these as compared with the others?

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1877 posts
29 Jul 2011 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

Gidday Noob

Its a pretty big question of all comparisons... which most wont bother replying !

All late model beginner friendly kites will have easy relaunch - bottom end and decent build qualities

Dont worry about a more advanced kite as the beginner styles will be better than you for a few seasons yet give one to a gun in surf or tricking - and they will blow your mind

Kiss principal - Keep it simple stupid
Have fun up there

MikeDobbs
6 posts
29 Jul 2011 8:53AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks SaveTheWhales, I know it's a big question- just figured I'd throw it out there and see what feedback I might get. Any info that comes back may help.

I realize that any kite I choose is going to be "better than me" for a while anyway- I just want to try to get off on the best possible foot.

1st water lesson in less than 17 hours- can't wait!

AirSic
WA, 40 posts
29 Jul 2011 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

If you want an all round kite that behaves perfectly get yourself a 10m Ozone catalyst with extensions.

Bog
WA, 43 posts
29 Jul 2011 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

MikeDobbs said...

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

So it looks like I'm down to a 3 kite race:

2011 Best Kahoona
2010 Cabrinha Switchblade
2011 Griffin Argonaut

Anyone able to comment on any of these as compared with the others?

You will be happy with all three
I have used Both the 2010 switchy and the 2011 argo and are both brilliant Kites
For a beginner to advance quickly they all fit the bill. Both built tough

My friend upgraded to the Kahoona this year and she Loves it

Enjoy

MikeDobbs
6 posts
30 Jul 2011 12:50PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to everyone for your help- being new to kiteboarding I think it's so cool that you all take the time out of your day to help a noob like me.

One more question if you all don't mind. I think I'm going to go for a 2011 Argo, but I'm not sure of size. I'm 150lbs without any gear on, and the winds where I live are generally in the 12 to 28mph range from what I understand.

I'm thinking either a 10m or 11.5m

Any thoughts?

allano
WA, 172 posts
30 Jul 2011 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

At 70 kgs and a wind range of 11-25 knots
It will depend on wether you are going to have a one kite quiver or two
IMO One kite i would go the 10 m and maybe and extra big twin tip for the lighter days
2 kite quiver I would get the 11.5 and 9
Enjoy the journey

The best way is to talk to people who kite at your spot
And your instructor when you have lessons

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
30 Jul 2011 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

If you go the argo don't go bigger than the 10m, they are very grunty. I am 80kg and the 10m is the biggest kite I need. I use it from about 12-28knots with a few different board sizes.

When you are learning you will not be able to get maximum efficiency out of the kite, so slightly larger than you would normally need is ok. If you were an experienced kiter, I would recommend the 9m for your weight. If you intend to mainly ride a surfboard I would recommend the 9m. Mainly twintip the 10m is probably best. However the 10m is going to be too big for you at 28mph.

So there is the dilema, you need to decide if you are going to have one or two kites what board you will mainly be riding and what are the main wind conitions where you live(mainly light/srtong). Your choice will definatly be between the 9 and 10m.

MikeDobbs
6 posts
30 Jul 2011 11:29PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks bennie and allano

I think I may learn towards the 10 as I will probably want to get out there on some of those lighter days (esp in the beginning- 28mph seems crazy fast to me right now). If bennie can ride in 12 knots on his 10, maybe I can get out there a tad sooner since I'm under 70 kg.

tgladman
WA, 500 posts
31 Jul 2011 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

I hate to be the skeptic but I find it hard to believe anybody could get a 10 in the air in 12 knots? I'd be interested to see the size of your board Bennie?

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
1 Aug 2011 12:40AM
Thumbs Up

tgladman said...

I hate to be the skeptic but I find it hard to believe anybody could get a 10 in the air in 12 knots? I'd be interested to see the size of your board Bennie?

thats boards mate. I've got 5. My slingshot glide does the job nicely for flat water, my 6'6 webber afterbuner strapless in the waves( 12 knots is stuggling in waves). Have you tried an argo? Funny thing is people always tell me I won't get going on it when its light, then ask me after how got so far up wind compared to them. I know a guy who breaks out his 7m when it gets up around 16-17knots. Probably similar low end to the bws kites.

Juz M
NSW, 156 posts
1 Aug 2011 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

Ive got a 2011 kahoona 7.5 and im keeping upwind on strapless surfboard in 16 knots, weigh 70kgs n am 5'9!

tgladman
WA, 500 posts
1 Aug 2011 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

Wow, that's impressive. Serious bottom end there.

KIT33R
NSW, 1714 posts
1 Aug 2011 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

Don't forget the skill factor. Experienced guys like Bennie can milk every last drop of energy out of marginal winds.

WA, 1255 posts
1 Aug 2011 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

tgladman said...

I can get my 6 in the air at 12knots...but actually kiting is a different story.

Adrenalin Rush
QLD, 876 posts
1 Aug 2011 11:14PM
Thumbs Up

Kahoona has great bottom end for sure. I Don't ride anything bigger than an 11.5 these days.(100kg) Perfect all round kite and super easy to learn on.

Joe

MikeDobbs
6 posts
2 Aug 2011 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

Well it's official- I've decided to go with the Argo 10m. Thanks to everyone for your help- I'll post some feedback once I get some time in on the kite

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"My first kiteboarding kite" started by MikeDobbs