Forums > Kitesurfing General

Naish Cult relaunch technique?

Created by robbo1111 > 9 months ago, 11 Nov 2010
robbo1111
NSW, 631 posts
11 Nov 2010 11:54AM
Thumbs Up

Being a long time foil rider and recent delta kite rider I've never had a problem with relaunching a kite. However I've just gone to a Naish kite and wanted some tips around quick relaunch.

When its nose down and pulling you dead downwind do you sheet out the bar and pull on one line or sheet in and pull one line? I have had the bar fully sheeted in and then pull one steering line but it seems to take forever to start rolling to the side. If the trim is at full power should I depower before relaunching?

thanks

paul.j
QLD, 3337 posts
11 Nov 2010 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

yes depower then pull 1 line.

Jacko

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
11 Nov 2010 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

If the kite gets dead downwind of you, you need to swim to one side a bit, then pull on the steering line on the opposite side... if you sheet out it comes up faster. That is what I have found with my Helixes.

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
11 Nov 2010 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

It's a balancing act. Sheet out and pull one back line. Depending on the wind strength you may have to be patient. Once she is on a wingtip keep pulling on the back line and start to sheet in as she moves to the edge of the window. The kite will 'talk' to you so just be gentle. If you pull too hard on the back line you will oversteer and she will sit back on the trailing edge or fold in half.Sometimes if the wind is a little light at the water's surface (especially if there's sandbanks or dunes upwind) pull on both back lines to 'stall' it a little then let one go. This breaks the bond of leading edge and water.

koma
VIC, 760 posts
11 Nov 2010 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

lostinlondon said...

If the kite gets dead downwind of you, you need to swim to one side a bit, then pull on the steering line on the opposite side... if you sheet out it comes up faster. That is what I have found with my Helixes.

To save the swimming you could just let the bar all the way out, then pull the depower rope above the bar to get the kite to roll on it's back a little. That should only ever be needed in really light wind. More often than not it's just a matter of varying the amount of rear line your pulling in, too much or too little and it'll take forever to relaunch. Get the right amount so the canopy tip catches the wind and it'll roll over and go up fairly quickly.

Oh, and don't be afraid of a hot launch in all but nuking conditions.

robbo1111
NSW, 631 posts
11 Nov 2010 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

thanks guys, i see where i was going wrong

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Naish Cult relaunch technique?" started by robbo1111