Forums > Kitesurfing General

New Australian Kitesurfing Magazine!

Created by FreedomKite > 9 months ago, 29 Dec 2014
FreedomKite
QLD, 81 posts
29 Dec 2014 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys for those not in the know as of yet there's a new Aussie kite magazine on the block, called 'Freedom Kitesurfing Magazine' the first issue is at Newsagents around the country now.
Here's a video run through of the first issue:

We would like to open the gates for feedback on the magazine here on Seabreeze. Positive and constructive criticism welcome, what would you like to see more/less of in a Aussie kite magazine?Also if you have something to share in the way of stories or pics we would love to hear from you send us a message on here! Thanks for reading and look forward to your ideas!Ollie J ~ Ed

jeff2
WA, 221 posts
29 Dec 2014 3:12PM
Thumbs Up

$11.95

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
29 Dec 2014 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

Well I think the previous big name one alienated anyone past their mid-teens (mentally at least) between the 'humour' and the amateur bikini girls. I think the "Black c#nts & Brown wings" edition really was the lowlight. We all have the internet so no-ones buying a kite mag to see bikini girls, plus it offsides every girl kiter in the country. Every single edition featuring 57 pages of Ben Wilson probably didn't help the cause either.

By all means local content & riders are great but focus on their riding don't fill page after page with their their likes/dislikes/favourite foods etc.

You can never have too much tech, gear news, reviews, how-to's, trip reports, etc.

If reviewing, try to make them meaningful, we all know that everything has to be positive even if it sucks, but try to at least allow people to read between the lines that something sucks if that's the case. Otherwise your reviews will be pointless.

Good Luck I gave up the kite mag buying habit a long time ago but I'll grab one to support you

/my 2c.

Sandfoot
VIC, 567 posts
29 Dec 2014 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

After reading a certain amount of kite mags I was thinking same stuff different month every time I picked one up, is it really worth buying ? Nope.
But tracks surf mag is a good one, some all time photos, often containing certain content that you would never see otherwise ie not on the net, pull out posters to stick on the fridge or in the dunny, and then they were coming with free vids- I would guess paid for by the advertisers as a promo thing for team and product image, and then the tracks beanie......**** yeah, and then tracks t shirts, I was waiting for the track hoodie and tracky pants to complete my out fit but I guess they couldn't fit it in the plastic sleave

kemp90
QLD, 1694 posts
29 Dec 2014 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

Iv been reading it over the Xmas brake! Propper good mag. I recommend every1 give it a read.

Green thumbs to you!

kemp90
QLD, 1694 posts
29 Dec 2014 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kemp90 said...
Iv been reading it over the Xmas brake! Propper good mag. I recommend every1 give it a read.

Green thumbs to you!

Forgot to mention there is an article on hot chick's in bikinis doing yoga

jackforbes
WA, 530 posts
29 Dec 2014 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiteboy dave said..
Well I think the previous big name one alienated anyone past their mid-teens (mentally at least) between the 'humour' and the amateur bikini girls. I think the "Black c#nts & Brown wings" edition really was the lowlight. We all have the internet so no-ones buying a kite mag to see bikini girls, plus it offsides every girl kiter in the country. Every single edition featuring 57 pages of Ben Wilson probably didn't help the cause either.

By all means local content & riders are great but focus on their riding don't fill page after page with their their likes/dislikes/favourite foods etc.

You can never have too much tech, gear news, reviews, how-to's, trip reports, etc.

If reviewing, try to make them meaningful, we all know that everything has to be positive even if it sucks, but try to at least allow people to read between the lines that something sucks if that's the case. Otherwise your reviews will be pointless.

Good Luck I gave up the kite mag buying habit a long time ago but I'll grab one to support you

/my 2c.

Amen. It was better when it was just a 4 page insert inside other big name. And definitely reviews should be that, rather than free product plugs!

good luck with it though.

FreedomKite
QLD, 81 posts
29 Dec 2014 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the feedback guys keep it coming! It can only help us make a better mag for everyone.Our focus with this mag is really trying to push performance and perfecting technical ability ~ we would like to think the photos we choose to publish help reflect this.I found when putting this mag together it was actually getting me excited seeing how far this sport has come and the high level of advanced riding that is out there. In short ~ We hope that this mag inspires everyone to get out there and rip!Ed ~ Ollie J

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
30 Dec 2014 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FreedomKite said..
Thanks for all the feedback guys keep it coming! It can only help us make a better mag for everyone.Our focus with this mag is really trying to push performance and perfecting technical ability ~ we would like to think the photos we choose to publish help reflect this.I found when putting this mag together it was actually getting me excited seeing how far this sport has come and the high level of advanced riding that is out there. In short ~ We hope that this mag inspires everyone to get out there and rip!Ed ~ Ollie J

We don't need a mag to inspire us really, but what would be good is a magazine that keeps abreast with the industry especially, as Dave said above, gear reviews, shop reviews, and interviews with designers, suppliers, etc. Have a look at Bicycle Australia magazine. They have everything covered from gear reviews to nutrition, to locations, and interviews with pioneers of the sport. I am sure there are some with kiting by now, but then again most are overseas I guess. Keep up the great effort though and thanks! I'll grab a copy today.

Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
30 Dec 2014 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

So Good to finally see a good mag back in oz- been way too long since anything good came out of oz!
quality is first class, similar style to the Core issues that went to print but probally a tad fresher and more up to date. good work on the first issue guys.
I think by far the best kite mag i have seen to date, if you can make every issue as high quality as this issue you guys are on a winner.
Also having photographer Jason Wolcott as staff photographer and Co Editor will make sure the pics are always top notch!!! definately one mag you should check out and support!!!!
any deals for subscriptions if crew throw down some dollars early?

LittleFella
WA, 132 posts
30 Dec 2014 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

Bought it. Love it.
Some Aus trip reviews would be a nice addition. Maybe something like a spot check with a little 5 questions with a local? Different state every issue would be cool.
Gotta love a top quality Aussie mag. There are a lot of Aussie mags in other sports that just feel cheap. This blows them away.
Thanks for doing the mag and I second the subscribe point. How?

gkawo
VIC, 193 posts
30 Dec 2014 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

I don't care, as long as it's made in Australia, and bonus it's a kite mag! Woot!

FreedomKite
QLD, 81 posts
30 Dec 2014 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LittleFella said..
Bought it. Love it.
Some Aus trip reviews would be a nice addition. Maybe something like a spot check with a little 5 questions with a local? Different state every issue would be cool.
Gotta love a top quality Aussie mag. There are a lot of Aussie mags in other sports that just feel cheap. This blows them away.
Thanks for doing the mag and I second the subscribe point. How?

Thanks little fella. Our aim was to blow people away so glad it had this effect on you!
Yeh we will really work over the next few issues to start pumping in as much local content as possible. Jason Wolcot will be doing a few trips over here next year to get the goods photography wise plus the doors are open for aussie photographers and we seem to be getting some quality submissions in now from around the country.At the moment we are running a subscribe and go in the draw to win a complete Best kite drawn early Feb - What other deals do you recommend we could do? All ideas are welcome.

FreedomKite
QLD, 81 posts
30 Dec 2014 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Loftywinds said..

We don't need a mag to inspire us really, but what would be good is a magazine that keeps abreast with the industry especially, as Dave said above, gear reviews, shop reviews, and interviews with designers, suppliers, etc. Have a look at Bicycle Australia magazine. They have everything covered from gear reviews to nutrition, to locations, and interviews with pioneers of the sport. I am sure there are some with kiting by now, but then again most are overseas I guess. Keep up the great effort though and thanks! I'll grab a copy today.

Thanks loftywinds - gear reviews etc are definitely something we want to start getting heavily into. Inspiration and progression is also very important to us... Just like watching a quality surf or snowboarding video before riding, it makes you ride harder! Our aim is to make this sport look as exciting as it can be!

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
30 Dec 2014 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

get close to kiteworld mag and youll do alright, imho its the benchmark as a kiting mag,although a uk mag it has more os riders and destinations in its coverage, great gear reviews, fitness section, trick progression segments, what gears on the horizon, interviews with riders, designers, companys, plus regulars like hadlow and mark shinn, stunning photo sessions etc etc, all this wouldn't come cheap so id say a lot of manufacturers sponsorship and shop adverts/related adverts would need to get onboard, in the 6 plus years ive been reading kiteworld im sorry to say all aussie mags have been lacking, good luck and looking forward to the read

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
30 Dec 2014 11:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..
get close to kiteworld mag and youll do alright, imho its the benchmark as a kiting mag,although a uk mag it has more os riders and destinations in its coverage, great gear reviews, fitness section, trick progression segments, what gears on the horizon, interviews with riders, designers, companys, plus regulars like hadlow and mark shinn, stunning photo sessions etc etc, all this wouldn't come cheap so id say a lot of manufacturers sponsorship and shop adverts/related adverts would need to get onboard, in the 6 plus years ive been reading kiteworld im sorry to say all aussie mags have been lacking, good luck and looking forward to the read

Yup it's the one I landed on too. Subscribed for many a year and still wear the T shirt, and the heavyweight hoody's a cracker, been my mainstay winter jumper for 5+ years...

FK, lofty has his own travelling fan club, very dedicated they are, the red definitely doesn't indicate people disagree with what he wrote.

robbyb
QLD, 20 posts
1 Jan 2015 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

$49.95 for a four issue subscription or buy it at the newsagent for $11.95 each (page 31). So if I don't subscribe and buy four issues from the newsagent I save a couple of bucks. Great mag though, love the photography, as others as said model it on kiteworld mag and you will be on a winner

swinginginthewind
WA, 281 posts
2 Jan 2015 12:18AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome mag guys, great mix of articles with outstanding pics and paper quality

Well done

bjw
QLD, 3615 posts
2 Jan 2015 6:50AM
Thumbs Up

Its now 39.95.

FreedomKite
QLD, 81 posts
2 Jan 2015 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
robbyb said..
$49.95 for a four issue subscription or buy it at the newsagent for $11.95 each (page 31). So if I don't subscribe and buy four issues from the newsagent I save a couple of bucks. Great mag though, love the photography, as others as said model it on kiteworld mag and you will be on a winner

Hey Robbyb.... well spotted, ahhhhh yeh that was a mis-print in the mag.... hence being kitesurfer's but alas terrible mathematicians and spellers.... - the subscription is actually only $39.95 on the website and you get a a ticket into the draw for a kite in early feb!

Next issue we are putting on a dedicated proof reader.... :D

Dan Jones
WA, 101 posts
2 Jan 2015 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

I really enjoyed the first edition, so stoked to have an Aus mag back again and blown away with the quality.. Im sure if you guys can keep that up you will keep majority of the readers out there stoked
Ive signed up for my subscription can't wait for issue number 2
Great work!!
Lets hope everyone gets behind them and keeps a good mag in Aus running!!!

FreedomKite
QLD, 81 posts
5 Jan 2015 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dan Jones said..
I really enjoyed the first edition, so stoked to have an Aus mag back again and blown away with the quality.. Im sure if you guys can keep that up you will keep majority of the readers out there stoked
Ive signed up for my subscription can't wait for issue number 2
Great work!!
Lets hope everyone gets behind them and keeps a good mag in Aus running!!!

Thanks Dan! PS Our photographer Jason Wolcott is heading to Perth in a few days to capture some action!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"New Australian Kitesurfing Magazine!" started by FreedomKite