Forums > Kitesurfing General

New Zealand in March

Created by ExSurfCentre > 9 months ago, 7 May 2014
ExSurfCentre
WA, 484 posts
7 May 2014 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

I'd really appreciate any info on kiting and surfing New Zealand in March, Im super keen to take my annual leave there this year, I've got a month but it has to be March, Im especially interested in the wave kiting spots. Any help would be amazing.

Tom

atidswellhotmailcom
WA, 1 posts
7 May 2014 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

Taranaki is the place to go for waves. The spring time is the best but March could be good too going into the winter. A bit hit and miss but thats New Zealand.

suniboy21
VIC, 1090 posts
8 May 2014 6:17AM
Thumbs Up

since march was 2 months ago, and your post was 5 hours ago, id consider going to school first.

Plummet
4862 posts
8 May 2014 4:31AM
Thumbs Up

March is the worst month of the year. Fickle winds from different directions.

Will there be wind and waves in March? Yes indeed. There is wind here year round. There could be some epic days.

But if you want to choose the best month. Nov/Dec are best.

Indeed the naki is the place for waves

Ercorn
QLD, 199 posts
8 May 2014 7:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
suniboy21 said..

since march was 2 months ago, and your post was 5 hours ago, id consider going to school first.

Might be March 2015.

ExSurfCentre
WA, 484 posts
8 May 2014 7:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
suniboy21 said..

Sorry for my stupidity, Is there a march in 2015?

hamburglar
ACT, 2174 posts
8 May 2014 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

i regret to inform you but according to the Hockey/Abbott 2014 may
budget ,March and most of the rest of 2015 have been cancelled!
goodluck living in a tent on shellfish and baked beans

at least there isn't a fart tax ....... for now

ExSurfCentre
WA, 484 posts
8 May 2014 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the useful information from a few of you, I will keep researching :-)

decay
99 posts
8 May 2014 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

The above 'March is a bad month' posters are west coasters - who for most of the year enjoy strong SW flows. March is right in the middle of their low season for wind.

In late summer the best bet in NZ is the NE coast of the North Island, high pressure systems and tropical cyclones bring E winds and good swell.

Start in Auckland, rent a car and travel north, there are 100's of great beaches, river estuaries and surf breaks that work well that time of year.

Wind stats from my old local here:

www.windfinder.com/windstatistics/mokihinau?utm_source=www.windfinder.com&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=redirect

Cheers

DK

PS - There is a full moon in March on Thursday the 5th, going on way to much experience of such things I'll bet there is a Strong E to SE wind from the 5th right thru the weekend of the 7th/8th in the Ruakaka/Mangawhai area. If I was planning a trip that is where/when I would go.

iandvnt
QLD, 581 posts
8 May 2014 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

Ken Ring should write a kiting guide maybe - be interesting to c how it was

patto1987
NSW, 194 posts
8 May 2014 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

I'm in Queenstown next week.. Is it worth taking some gear?? Tried a few searches and didn't get much..

pgc
VIC, 886 posts
9 May 2014 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

james storm/ leo loro and i went over last sept Awesome place Taranaki. Great waves and wind every day. So many places to kite and cheap accom.
Check with biggy at the oakura local surf shop hes the man that knows it best.He also has a backpackers.
Got some photos under tribecarew.com

decay
99 posts
6 Mar 2015 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
iandvnt said..
Ken Ring should write a kiting guide maybe - be interesting to c how it was

I got the direction wrong, but the wind came in on cue. The locals will tell you its the first wind in a couple of weeks. Full moon = wind in the summer for sure.

m00chy
WA, 77 posts
6 Mar 2015 1:35PM
Thumbs Up

Look at all these Auckland/ Northland kiter crew sprinkled all over the world aye

WindyWoman
WA, 14 posts
6 Mar 2015 2:40PM
Thumbs Up

Woohoo - Mangawhai represent

Wiski23
37 posts
9 Mar 2015 5:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
suniboy21 said..

You tripping?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"New Zealand in March" started by ExSurfCentre