Forums > Kitesurfing General

New jump record 19.1m

Created by martinmm5 > 9 months ago, 7 May 2015
SaveTheWhales
WA, 1874 posts
10 May 2015 3:00AM
Thumbs Up

Why doesnt someone just get a 10m pole and hold it out in the water for a test bench... pretty simple and will show you if its a Crock of Sh..

noodelsrominov
VIC, 265 posts
10 May 2015 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SaveTheWhales said...
Why doesnt someone just get a 10m pole and hold it out in the water for a test bench... pretty simple and will show you if its a Crock of Sh..

I think there is ways to measure easily like jumping with the bottom of the board facing the camera and using that to calculate. My biggest problem is trying to find someone to film. My wife certainly isn't going to stand on the beach filming it in 25+knots nor will my kiting buddies give up a good session. However, I do agree woo or someone (unbiased) should prove it with some videos/photos of this type of test.
Till then I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt as I'm happy with the results so far.

Plummet
4862 posts
10 May 2015 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SaveTheWhales said..

I could be wrong. But I think this tool does not use gps. It used accelerometers and other sensors.

So... hold it on a pole.... no height reading. throw in over a goal post.... height reading.

flyingcab
VIC, 942 posts
10 May 2015 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Just put it on your kite, easy 25m.

rcr46401
WA, 54 posts
10 May 2015 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

The lamp posts at the pond are 20 feet high, compare to them and check your woo. In 20/25 knots with a kite coming towards you at 11 o clock, boost, if you are looking above his kite you are close to 19 m

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1874 posts
10 May 2015 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Plummet said..

SaveTheWhales said..

I could be wrong. But I think this tool does not use gps. It used accelerometers and other sensors.

So... hold it on a pole.... no height reading. throw in over a goal post.... height reading.

Ahh yeah sorry - I meant do a jump over the Pole with the meter on the board... its a small enough jump for most advanced jumpers so no worries..

deanrobi
VIC, 641 posts
10 May 2015 11:24PM
Thumbs Up

attaching it to the kite or a pole won't work.

When I first tried the Woo I was a little concern about the board mount and how it would hold up to a rough landing and not wanting to lose it on my first few goes I tried putting it in the key pocket of my wetsuit close to my ankle and it work but putting it in a pocket of my board shorts and it stopped recording any heights. So I imagine that it needs to located around the board to sense board leaving and landing on the water.

From another web site:

The device contains a 3 axis accelerometer, 3 axis gyroscope, and a magnetometer. This sensor data is fused together to get the board orientation as well as horizontal and vertical acceleration. The algorithm running on the device identifies when a jump occurs. We use the vertical acceleration to calculate the jump height. (Using double integration of the vertical acceleration and by average the take off and landing height).

martinmm5
NSW, 44 posts
11 May 2015 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

Oceania (Australia)

le

aderboard:

martinmm5
NSW, 44 posts
11 May 2015 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

We need more wind to catch up with the rest of the world :-)

deanrobi
VIC, 641 posts
11 May 2015 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting to flick thru the sessions on that leaderboard and excluding the max heigh boosts of individuals, the average boost for most would be around the 6-7mtr range.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"New jump record 19.1m" started by martinmm5