Forums > Kitesurfing General

Newbie footstrap issues

Created by superlizard > 9 months ago, 14 Nov 2007
superlizard
VIC, 702 posts
14 Nov 2007 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys, just wanted to introduce my self. I just started kiting this week after I finally managed to budget for few lessons and some gear . I've previously flown 5m Foil kite on a landboard for couple of years.
So now I bought some second hand gear (from professional trainers) - last year's 13m Fuel Slingshot 5-lines (which feels awesome to fly), and an old Liquid Force board.

At my first session at Altona on Monday while trying to learn water start, one of my footstraps came out - the hole on the strap was a bit worn out and it came over the washer holding it down. So after a big dissapointment , i had to pack up and head home. I've now placed fairly bigger washers on all footstraps, but i'm not sure if the strap material can further wear off. Does anyone have any similar experience or suggestions?

Also, i have fairly big and wide feet (size 11), and i find it hard to slot them into the strap without holding each strap with both hands... is this a common problem, or should i look for a different strap setup?

Thanks a lot

koma
VIC, 760 posts
14 Nov 2007 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

I've got clown-feet as well and to make matters worse i usually opt to wear booties to avoid getting my feet cut to shreds. You'll find you can adjust the position of the straps on most boards to make them a bit wider, or just loosen them up a bit if you need more height over your foot.
Personally i've found it much much easier to get my foot in if i have them set nice and loose but quite narrow. Means that when i'm up and riding my foot can't rotate in the strap, but still tight enough that i'm strapped in.

For what it's worth, i also had the screw on one of my straps come undone just as i was starting my session yesterday arvo. Got home afterwards to discover that ALL of the screws had come undone slightly and were all loose!

Does anyone have a trick to keeping them done up? Loctite? Plumbers teflon tape?

superlizard
VIC, 702 posts
15 Nov 2007 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, I've had exact same issue. I also use booties. Unfortunately my straps can't be made any wider. But last night I worked out a technique. I basically have to lay in the water and use both hands to get each foot in, and then just grab the kite and go. So for now that will do the trick.

I tightened my screews hard, and they were ok last night. I suppose you just need to check them each session, or even have spares ready...

jquigley
WA, 205 posts
15 Nov 2007 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

Loctite you may never get the screw undone again.

Try a dob of silastic on the thread.

J-P

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
15 Nov 2007 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

Hi superlizard,

Your board sounds like the straps are non adjustable type. You can buy adjustable footstraps from Flying Objects or Airush along with lush deck pads to fit any size foot. See your local Airush stockist or give me a call through the website if there is no one in your vicinity who can help you locally.

Good winds,

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Newbie footstrap issues" started by superlizard