Forums > Kitesurfing General

Newbie from Perth

Created by wearjo > 9 months ago, 8 Dec 2013
wearjo
WA, 6 posts
8 Dec 2013 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys,
It seems that my parents are looking at getting me kitesurfing lessons for Christmas and I was looking at places close to me and I found Elemental kiteboarding (they do it at point Walter). So they've got a three lesson IKO course going for $795 and I was wondering if that was a good school and option to go with?
Also, it looks like they're keen on getting me equipment which is great! I think I will be going to do freestyle kiteboarding, and I've been looking at the ozone 2013 catalyst (I think I'll get the 10m?) and I had a quick look at boards, but found that I really don't know what to look for there, so I've been going by cool designs and the flying carpet 2014 just looks majestic

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Edit: oh, and I've been on a trainer kite since January

psychojoe
WA, 2121 posts
8 Dec 2013 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

don't buy any gear until u'v done the lessons

ur instructor will be able to help u choose the right gear for u

Sibbo V3
VIC, 110 posts
9 Dec 2013 2:08AM
Thumbs Up

Wish my parents spend $3000 on me for Chrissy. My limit was $100.

Is this normal?

wearjo
WA, 6 posts
8 Dec 2013 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Troll said..

Is this normal?

My parents let me overindulge for Christmas and my birthday, but I don't get anything else from them and I don't get nice clothes etc ;)

wearjo
WA, 6 posts
8 Dec 2013 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
psychojoe said..

don't buy any gear until u'v done the lessons

ur instructor will be able to help u choose the right gear for u

Ok, thanks :)

Wikky
9 posts
9 Dec 2013 6:49AM
Thumbs Up

I can't really give any input on elemental. But I went with soul kite and I must admit, it was quite enjoyable and successful. They operate out of Melville. I guess it doesn't matter which company you end up with, it seems like at the end of the day your success rate and progression is highly dependant on your instructor and the ability to listen and follow instructions.

My 2 cents.

Monkers
WA, 258 posts
9 Dec 2013 9:41AM
Thumbs Up

+1 for buying your gear after you have your lessons.. I made the mistake of buying gear before my lessons and pretty much had to selling because it was not suitable .

My 2 cents : Maybe look for 2nd hand gear so you can get 2 kites and a board within your budget.. then can handle varied wind conditions. eg 2 kites for $800 each and a board for $400. 2010 onwards kites will work as long as in res condition... Generally start with a board that is fairly big as its easier to learn on and then change to a smaller board in a season or 2... As you may change it within a season or 2 I would go for a cheap ($300-$400) 2nd handery ... take advise from the shops and your instructor re this as board size and kite size is really important when you starting.. will be dependent on your weight , ability and the location that you going to be learning etc..

welcome to the sport !!!

Enjoy !!

ritz
20 posts
9 Dec 2013 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

Wearjo, buying brand new kit won't make you kite any better than decent second hand kit most espically when youre learning! Youll be so pleased you got an older kite every time you smash it onto the beach or roll it in waves, for the first few months or so depending how often you kite your equipment will take a beating, and by the time you can kite competantly you'll know what you want and can upgrade! Enjoy!

wearjo
WA, 6 posts
9 Dec 2013 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys :) I'll take equipment off my chrissie wish list then ;) I really can't wait to start on the water! Been on my bloody trainer kite for nearly a whole year! Garrrr!

ezza
NSW, 561 posts
10 Dec 2013 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

Wow, i'm impressed that no smart@ss has replied sending wearjo to the newbie forum. We are playing nice in the kite forum sandpit today! It's good to see :)

wearjo
WA, 6 posts
10 Dec 2013 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ezza said..

Wow, i'm impressed that no smart@ss has replied sending wearjo to the newbie forum. We are playing nice in the kite forum sandpit today! It's good to see :)

Yeah... I kinda realised that after I had posted it I had only just signed up and my iPad was f****** around and only showing me certain parts of the screen... Then when I got home I found a newbies section! Great!
Dear iPad,
Work
Love wearjo xoxo

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
11 Dec 2013 1:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wearjo said..

Troll said..

Is this normal?

My parents let me overindulge for Christmas and my birthday, but I don't get anything else from them and I don't get nice clothes etc ;)

Quick calculation... My parents wouldn't have spend $3000 on all my Christmas's combined, all 37 of them. Don't trade your parents in, they're keepers

Kudos to hanging onto the trainer for so long though, if you do buy gear 10m sounds pretty big, what do you weigh?

wearjo
WA, 6 posts
12 Dec 2013 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris6791 said..

wearjo said..

Troll said..

Is this normal?

Quick calculation... My parents wouldn't have spend $3000 on all my Christmas's combined, all 37 of them. Don't trade your parents in, they're keepers

Kudos to hanging onto the trainer for so long though, if you do buy gear 10m sounds pretty big, what do you weigh?

About 80kg... Awkies

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Newbie from Perth" started by wearjo