Night Kite??

Created by Jared888 > 9 months ago, 29 May 2011
Jared888
WA, 389 posts
29 May 2011 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys,

Below is taken from another forum,

Winds at local have been good at night but crappy during the day, anyone got any tips on night kiting.

This past season me and my friends tried some different techniques on the best way to go about night kiting after we read about it here online. We made a few attempts with different products to see what works best and we found this to be the ultimate answer.

The conditions need to be right for night kiting, good visibility, and a good amount of ambient light in the area so you dont go running into a stump or something.

We found these work well (LED glowstick, walmart) to light up the wingtips of the kite. This allows you to see the darker tips of the kite so you dont drag it on the ground by accident.

null

And by the way... For those of you that have not night kited, it is one of the coolest experiences ever. Get some of your friends out at the field and throw some glowsticks on them too, its pretty awesome to see a few blinking sticks way away and two in the air. Almost UFO worthy lol

Keep kitin people!

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
29 May 2011 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

Are you the maniac that was tacking out past the cargo ships today? They looked like they were in line with Rotto.

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1874 posts
29 May 2011 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

Rave Kite party Oh yeah pass the chill pills round

Could use glow in the dark condoms if da boyz a budget

ps just kidding bout the pills

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
29 May 2011 11:43PM
Thumbs Up

Tried it on a rising full moon with no other ambient light, on the back beach at Lancelin a few months ago. It was fricken awesome

I had the glowstick near the inflation point but it was useless and I won't bother next time. There were only two of us in the water and the kite were perfectly silouhetted by the moon anyway.

Jared888
WA, 389 posts
30 May 2011 2:29AM
Thumbs Up

Chris6791 said...

Tried it on a rising full moon with no other ambient light, on the back beach at Lancelin a few months ago. It was fricken awesome

I had the glowstick near the inflation point but it was useless and I won't bother next time. There were only two of us in the water and the kite were perfectly silouhetted by the moon anyway.

so on a full moon, and lights are a watse of time,

not farmiliar with lancelin did you have the car lights on, or I emagine that would mess with your eye's being adjusted to the moonlight,

i'm at work but am frothing on the idea of a night kite

Darkspi
SA, 171 posts
30 May 2011 8:34AM
Thumbs Up

We always used to set the shark lines over night back in the old days

I think there used to be a lot more sharks back then to

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
30 May 2011 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

We have thought about it heaps of times but if you have kited all day then your usually too pissed and tired to bother especially when the full moon brings a full tide and hungry fish.
Another use for glow sticks is splatter the ink on all the ghost crabs

GalahOnTheBay
NSW, 4188 posts
30 May 2011 12:05PM
Thumbs Up

Jared888 said...

anyone got any tips on night kiting.

No but the sharks thank you in advance...

ok
NSW, 1088 posts
30 May 2011 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

Why would the number of sharks increase Just because of the time of day?

stuntnaz
NSW, 540 posts
30 May 2011 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

At least in the day time you have a chance of seing a shark coming and you might be able to fight it off with your board NIGHT time you wont no until its eating you !!

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
30 May 2011 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

Sharks are attracted to shiny glowing things

Sharks attack and feed mostly from dusk to dawn.

Get some fishing-lures so you have something to eat afterwards.

Text from the below URL
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/glow-fishing-lures-catch-more-fish.html

"However, glowing lures capitalize on low light conditions and tend to stand out and say, "Bite Me!" The bright oranges, blues, violets, yellows, and even greens create a huge contrast between the lure and its surroundings. This helps a fish take notice, and entices it to attack. In fact, many fish species have eyes that select these colors when searching for prey."

We get some cars on the beach with high beam on and the full moon behind us, works well. Stick one on your board if you loose it.

sonya rachel
WA, 84 posts
30 May 2011 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

GriffinKites said...

Text from the below URL

"However, glowing lures capitalize on low light conditions and tend to stand out and say, "Bite Me!" The bright oranges, blues, violets, yellows, and even greens create a huge contrast between the lure and its surroundings. This helps a fish take notice, and entices it to attack. In fact, many fish species have eyes that select these colors when searching for prey."

We get some cars on the beach with high beam on and the full moon behind us, works well. Stick one on your board if you loose it.

i think you will find sharks actually have very poor eye sight. they hunt with 'ampulae of lorenzini' tiny and extermely sensitive sensory pores on the sharks snout.

sbray
SA, 350 posts
30 May 2011 2:28PM
Thumbs Up

sonya rachel said...

GriffinKites said...

i think you will find sharks actually have very poor eye sight. they hunt with 'ampulae of lorenzini' tiny and extermely sensitive sensory pores on the sharks snout.

Hi sonya rachel,

Fish (in general, not neccessarily sharks) are attracted to shiny glowing things.
Sharks are curious regarding activity around shiny glowing things.
No guessing what is an easy feed for sharks.

It would be bad Karma to be the shiny glowing epicentre of a fish school when there is a muscle propelled mouth of teeth looking for a feed

Fossil

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
30 May 2011 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

sonya rachel said...

GriffinKites said...

Text from the below URL

www.sharks.org.za/shark-myths.html

"Myth: Sharks have bad eyesight - Sharks have been shown to be able to distinguish between colours and their lens is up to seven times more powerful than that of humans. In addition, there are several shark species whose ability to see in very dim light far outweighs that of people's. "

Below is a forum mentioning how glow sticks helps catch sharks when fshing. It mentions add a large red one above your slide bait for sharks
www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=696&forum_id=23

I could be wrong, but I think glow sticks glowing in the water at night would attract sharks.

radman4
678 posts
30 May 2011 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

sonya rachel said...

GriffinKites said...

Text from the below URL

A lot of shark species are night feeders ,its way easier to sneak up on prey in the dark,and even a half blind shark could spot a glowstick from a reasonable distance,used to do a lot of night fishing and you couldnt miss when you attached a glowstick to your line.

Dan Fletcher
NSW, 114 posts
30 May 2011 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

Hmmm..Night kiting sounds interesting. It could work nicely in flat water, but choppy water maybe not. The idea of slamming into a wall of white water that i can't see or prepare for doesn't sound that enticing

On the other hand, maybe i should just buy a million glow sticks and scatter them throughout the water

Skid
QLD, 1499 posts
30 May 2011 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

I miss the secret society of beige night kiters....

Jared888
WA, 389 posts
30 May 2011 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

picture this,

moonlight night, with glow thiing on kite tips, mainly to know were the leading edge is would not look at it all the time as it would mess with eyes being adjusted to the moonlight.

steady 20-25kt easterly

flat water spot (I'm not devoldging here but have poosted on HOOKUP FORUM to get someone to go with, bait my hooks ect)

I'm imagining the sound of the water as I load up and pop then quiet..................then touch down then water again shhhhhhhhhhhhh

PS if your scared of sharks stay out of the water[}:)][}:)]

Antigrav
5 posts
31 May 2011 1:50AM
Thumbs Up

We did it a while back and got some pretty cool photos from it fair play we were in the UK so no sharks to worry about. Few things really

There's no need for glowsticks, they're too small to really be noticeable unless they're really powerful

For taking photos, you need someone to light the rider to give the camera something to focus on, can just use a hand torch but anything is better than nothing

We had a car parked at the edge of the lagoon with it's lights on just to illuminate the shallow area at the edge, it didn't light any of the main riding area and I think that was the best way to do it.

It was an awesome experience and one I'd definitely like to do again, although I'd only ever want to do it in flat water on a spot I knew really well! You can see some pics here: www.brackleshamboardriders.co.uk/?p=933

Jared888
WA, 389 posts
31 May 2011 2:56AM
Thumbs Up

Antigrav

looks farly cloudy not much ambient light hey, nice pics though

Jonopark
WA, 400 posts
31 May 2011 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Sharks are make believe like the tooth fairy, santa and jesus. I reckon it is a mint idea and let us know where and when!!

thorn
WA, 172 posts
31 May 2011 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

I'll be a bit busy that night.......can't think of anything worse. Trawling back and forth while trying to find my board in the dark. No thanks !!!

Jared888
WA, 389 posts
31 May 2011 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Jonopark said...

Sharks are make believe like the tooth fairy, santa and jesus. I reckon it is a mint idea and let us know where and when!!

All Forums > Kitesurfing > The Hookup > night kite

lurch
WA, 310 posts
31 May 2011 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Goodness me, this topic has come up over the years and I'm sure some of the old boys are having a laugh. I posted back in 2005 about night kiting in Shark Bay, where I used to live, just after I came in. I did this a few times on the full moon and low tide outa the front of Denham.
Recipe:
1 six pack of good brew
One 3 paper of your best herbal remedy
A c kite with no depower
20 knots of sweet se
Head out into the bay, by yourself of course, hack the living bejesuss outa the flats
Come back in , toke on herbal remedy followed by brew
Head back out, watch the phophorecence (bugger of a word to spell!) spraying outa the back of your board for the next hour.
watch the full full moon while kiting in the glow of phosphos
Try to land c kite
Put the experience into your personal archive
Life is good....

BarryDawson
WA, 175 posts
31 May 2011 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

lurch said...

Goodness me, this topic has come up over the years and I'm sure some of the old boys are having a laugh. I posted back in 2005 about night kiting in Shark Bay, where I used to live, just after I came in. I did this a few times on the full moon and low tide outa the front of Denham.
Recipe:
1 six pack of good brew
A c kite with no depower
20 knots of sweet se
Head out into the bay, by yourself of course, hack the living bejesuss outa the flats
Head back out, watch the phophorecence (bugger of a word to spell!) spraying outa the back of your board for the next hour.
Try to land c kite
Life is good....

How I wish kiting was around when I lived in Shark Bay. All that spare time in between charter fishing would have been way better spent than sitting around waiting for the bloody wind to drop off!

I would love to night kite out the front of Denham, shallow flat water on a full moon and down to the hot tub after!

gruezi
WA, 3464 posts
31 May 2011 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Lurch, you forgot to mention that the toasty warm water is part of the recipe too.

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
2 Jun 2011 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

BarryDawson said...

lurch said...

Recipe:
1 six pack of good brew
A c kite with no depower
20 knots of sweet se
Try to land c kite
Life is good....

How I wish kiting was around when I lived in Shark Bay. All that spare time in between charter fishing would have been way better spent than sitting around waiting for the bloody wind to drop off!

I would love to night kite out the front of Denham, shallow flat water on a full moon and down to the hot tub after!

I opted for the little lagoon for my Denham nite ( dusk into night ) kite, I prefered to take my chances with the stonefish, rays and shovel-nose sharks than the ones with the teeth.

Perfectly flat too.......

Had a shovel nose for dinner - not good eating at all.. foul in fact

GreenPat
QLD, 4083 posts
3 Jun 2011 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

lurch said...

Goodness me, this topic has come up over the years and I'm sure some of the old boys are having a laugh.

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
3 Jun 2011 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

Green Pat

are you thinking of anyone in particular, , or just in general perhaps?

[}:)][}:)][}:)]

Jared888
WA, 389 posts
4 Jun 2011 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

whats the big secret old boys

got any good tips to pass on

or is it that youv'e all grown bitter and twisted enough to feel we should figue it out for ourselves why do people do that, life is to short to be selfish you should know becasue your old you know who i'm talkin to

Suits me I love the adventure

kites and equipment have come along way old chaps

look forward to getting home next week and hopefully getting some pics, contrast looks epic in some night shots i've seen thanks chris6791.

show you old boys how its done new school style

Darkspi
SA, 171 posts
5 Jun 2011 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

Old a little biter very twisted

the secret is that humans dont really like to share and its fun to watch the crashes :)

maybe try some water proof bike lights on your bar
or some of those head lamp things
and one on your kite in camera position reversed to shine on the canopy the whole kite would glow like a floating Chinese lantern and also reflect light back to the rider

tis hard to have an original thought with 7 billion ppl on the planet

bahhahumbug
Darki

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Night Kite??" started by Jared888