Forums > Kitesurfing General

Not tennis elbow- golfers elbow

Created by kiter77 > 9 months ago, 25 Aug 2009
kiter77
VIC, 273 posts
25 Aug 2009 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Gave the kiting a fair hammering last season and ended up with golfers elbow. This is the pain on the inside of the elbow(tennis is the outside) where the tendon joins to the bone. It's a sharp annoying pain everytime I straighten the forearm, ride a bike or lift something up. I had a corterzone injection about 9 weeks ago and it cleared it up 100% but now it's coming back again even though I'm not kiting.

The doc said there's nothing can be done to improve it other than rest, I can just see myself sitting back watching the lovely whitecaps rolling in with my elbow peacefully resting!!

Has anyone else had experience with this and offer any cures, excercises ,should I be stretching it now? don't mind getting another jab if it lasts.

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
25 Aug 2009 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

kiter77 i pm'd you.

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
25 Aug 2009 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

What sort of kite are you using. Some kites have a lot more bar pressure than others. Also I have heard that the way you ride(arms bent vs arms straight) has an impact on this type of injury.

andyy
QLD, 232 posts
25 Aug 2009 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Hey,

I know the feeling. I had it bad a few years back.

For me it just got better slowly. Now there is no worries.

So hang in there, I'm sure it will get better.

Andy

airhead
WA, 814 posts
25 Aug 2009 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

Yeap got it quite bad last season and am still recuperating after 4-5 months.

Do the exercises shown here: http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/tennis_elbow/ and change your grip on the bar to underhand on the affected elbow (right/left) whenever possible, ie., when not doing any tricks/jumps also try and ride with straighter arms at these times.

loco4olas
NSW, 1516 posts
25 Aug 2009 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

kiter77 said...

Gave the kiting a fair hammering last season and ended up with golfers elbow. This is the pain on the inside of the elbow(tennis is the outside) where the tendon joins to the bone. It's a sharp annoying pain everytime I straighten the forearm, ride a bike or lift something up. I had a corterzone injection about 9 weeks ago and it cleared it up 100% but now it's coming back again even though I'm not kiting.

The doc said there's nothing can be done to improve it other than rest, I can just see myself sitting back watching the lovely whitecaps rolling in with my elbow peacefully resting!!

Has anyone else had experience with this and offer any cures, excercises ,should I be stretching it now? don't mind getting another jab if it lasts.

I had it quite badly about 3 years ago-found it got better after changing to SLE/Bow kites and a few of the exercises I found on the net for Golfer's Elbow-a few stretches really helped, particulalrly this one:

Lovely
QLD, 248 posts
26 Aug 2009 12:54AM
Thumbs Up

Are you for real! a bow kite made your arm feel better, that's got to be a joke....... or you sell them.

You must be the first in the world to claim it!

I have tried a few kites and for sure the heaviest bar pressure is on the ones with bridals. Apart from the fly surfer. It is too soft and slow.

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
25 Aug 2009 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

Lovely said...

Are you for real! a bow kite made your arm feel better, that's got to be a joke....... or you sell them.

I have tried a few kites and for sure the heaviest bar pressure is on the ones with bridals. Apart from the fly surfer. It is too soft and slow.

I'm sure he is not joking Lovely, I don't know which bridled kites you tried, but they are all different, some are heavy and some are light as.
Also oversheeting can add unnecessary bar pressure.

Blownaway
QLD, 776 posts
26 Aug 2009 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

yeh I found the more bar pressure type kites give me a bit of tennis elbow or tradies elbow is more like it,but waroo cabs revs etc are all light on the bar for me an no probs at all = kite all day

kiter77
VIC, 273 posts
26 Aug 2009 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

loco4olas said...

kiter77 said...

I had it quite badly about 3 years ago-found it got better after changing to SLE/Bow kites and a few of the exercises I found on the net for Golfer's Elbow-a few stretches really helped, particulalrly this one:

Thanks for the link, great info, have you been doing any of these exercises or are you just waiting for a recovery then get stuck into them? This site implies doing nothing until you are pain free.

loco4olas
NSW, 1516 posts
26 Aug 2009 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

kiter77 said...

loco4olas said...

kiter77 said...

Thanks for the link, great info, have you been doing any of these exercises or are you just waiting for a recovery then get stuck into them? This site implies doing nothing until you are pain free.

I don't have the issue at all any more-off to Indo for a few weeks and days and days of kiting after none for 3 months-so that might change...

I did the exercise whilst I had the problem and then kept at it-as I said above when I got off my C kites and onto SLEs I haven't had the issue since.

Neill
VIC, 484 posts
26 Aug 2009 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

A free bit of advice here; go see a physio. Your doc was a bit trigger-happy with the injection unfortunately, that stuff should never be the first line of defence against a bit of tendonitis.

loco4olas
NSW, 1516 posts
26 Aug 2009 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

Lovely said...

Mate been kiting 9 years-I can tell you that back in the days of C kites in light winds in the surf with heaps of kite movement I had the issue-now with SLE/Bow kites I don't-simple statement of the facts as they are for me.

I don't sell-I'm a user....

loco4olas
NSW, 1516 posts
26 Aug 2009 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

Neill said...

A free bit of advice here; go see a physio. Your doc was a bit trigger-happy with the injection unfortunately, that stuff should never be the first line of defence against a bit of tendonitis.

Spot on.

kiter77
VIC, 273 posts
26 Aug 2009 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

I had to plead with the doc to give me the jab as I was heading off on a 2 week kitetrip. Without this it would've been hell. He said there was a 50% chance of it working long term, so it was worth the risk. He is happy for me to have another go at it if it does'nt get any better . Will wait another 2 months and access the pain.

Knickers
WA, 256 posts
26 Aug 2009 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

I had tennis elbow so bad last year I couldnt grip anything for a few months (but still managed to kite ). Used the elbow strap to just about cope.

Off season, I managed to rest it for few weeks, then followed the program at http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/tennis_elbow/ and now all is good, whereas a friend went straight for cortisone and is still in pain...
Gotta start doing the exersises again to get set for the coming season.

Lower bar pressure is important too, and to not kite too much in low wind conditions which means lots of sine-ing of the kite which uses the forearm muscles a lot.

airhead
WA, 814 posts
26 Aug 2009 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

kiter77 said...

I had to plead with the doc to give me the jab as I was heading off on a 2 week kitetrip. Without this it would've been hell. He said there was a 50% chance of it working long term, so it was worth the risk. He is happy for me to have another go at it if it does'nt get any better . Will wait another 2 months and access the pain.

To reiterate what I said earlier: change your grip on the bar to underhand on the affected arm (right/left) whenever possible as well as doing the exercises.

Reflex Films
WA, 1446 posts
26 Aug 2009 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

try flying in a locked off configuration - your harness hook takes all the bar pressure and your elbows will love you-

this works really nicely in steady breezes - and you will be surprised how much extra torque your kite generates!!

you may actually have to edge in a gust though... but its a good idea to move away from rapidly sheeting in and out - try and use edging to control the kite.

i used to use a harness line and "double hook" - by having the harness line AND chicken loop both in my harness hook. This sorts out sore elbows quickly.

You can statically adjust the power of most modern kites via the depower strap - so you can get a nice all round setting to match the current wind strength

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Not tennis elbow- golfers elbow" started by kiter77