Forums > Kitesurfing General

Oh my......How to boost big.

Created by dave...... > 9 months ago, 18 Nov 2012
dave......
WA, 2119 posts
18 Nov 2012 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

I know this topic has been done to death, but when I came in at a beginners spot so many people wanted to know how to. Please add things Ive missed.

1) Go fast... Dip your kite hard low and get it back in the window and bear down-wind between a broad reach and your normal upwind tack. This will give you speed, the more speed the better transference of inertia. (Make sure no one is downwind of you for a long time)

2)As you are about to launch, 3 things to consider..... bring your kite to lunch as quick as you can WITHOUT taking any tension off the lines, this creates inertia from forwards to up.

This is about edging slightly higher into the wind before take-off and not turning any bow-SLE too quickly.

Second, its load and pop- Most places theres chop, a perfect launch gives you another 3-6m. Keep the kite at 45, adjust the angle up and just pop off chop . See how high you can get without sending the kite..

Next one, you cant boost big on a 12m kite in 20-30knots, unless you weigh 130kgs. When you depower a kite it flys so far forward in the window, and has such massive drag, you are flying an unresponsive luffing piece of crap.

lovelife
SA, 160 posts
19 Nov 2012 1:07AM
Thumbs Up

Hey
thanks for this! im only a newbie and not quite up to this stage yet, however I was just curious.. should you only try jumps when the kite is not depowered, as this create slack in the lines (and I assume that is not desired as you dont wanna take tension of the lines)?
sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question

keep the advice coming!

cheers Elise

Gippy13
VIC, 119 posts
19 Nov 2012 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

hey elise, you can boost with depower pulled in on your kite, however you'll find it doesn't behave quite like it should be. A better idea (if you're a bit over-powered) is to power up, and not pull in your bar so much as you jump. Will lift you higher obviously but should float you down softer aswell.

eppo
WA, 9496 posts
19 Nov 2012 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Great ideas Dave. Tension in the lines, yeh that's the key it seems. Watching my bro the other day and he edges too hard too soon.

Love anything on how to Boooost!

Matt C
QLD, 93 posts
20 Nov 2012 12:28PM
Thumbs Up

dave...... said...

Next one, you cant boost big on a 12m kite in 20-30knots, unless you weigh 130kgs. When you depower a kite it flys so far forward in the window, and has such massive drag, you are flying an unresponsive luffing piece of crap.

Lies

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
20 Nov 2012 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

Oh I forgot,QLD winds, 20-30 knots is our 15-18......

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
20 Nov 2012 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Matt C said...
dave...... said...

Lies

No not lies - accurate tip.
So many kiters go out on biggest possible kite thinking it will boost bigger - not always the case. Often the opposite. As Dave..... says.
But if you are a 60kg bare bones and wanna try a 12M (without depowering to compensate for the oversized kite to conditions) please do it somewhere with plenty of clear soft ground downwind

giBiLatoR
QLD, 147 posts
20 Nov 2012 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

No nooo he definately means 20-30 knots.... matty's just a ****ing nutcase >.<

I dunno, this topic just has too many variables! On a whole definately something to follow, but every kite is different! A big one to add to this is to get used to the power of the kite in the conditions, if your not edging right up till the kite yanking you off the water then you just fly downwind. If you crank your kite from too low as well same effect, its all dependent on the conditions! Also, if your hitting a kicker in the surf, you gotta time it so your getting pulled off your edge at the lip, but also want to be getting pulled up the face.

The tricky bit isnt going big its coming down well! Anything over the 10m mark pretty much have to loop out of (that I've found anyways), else you just dip your ass in the water.

Just seeing if anyone here has experienced same **** but on ONE of my kites I have found that the way to get the most height out of the kite was to totally release centerline tension up to the point of taking off the water (with a massive downwind carve). But every other kite (all C-shaped) have been as you have described... much speed as possible, send hard from 10 to 2 then correct on ascent...

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
20 Nov 2012 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

giBiLatoR said...
No nooo he definately means 20-30 knots.... matty's just a ****ing nutcase >.<

I dunno, this topic just has too many variables! On a whole definately something to follow, but every kite is different! A big one to add to this is to get used to the power of the kite in the conditions, if your not edging right up till the kite yanking you off the water then you just fly downwind. If you crank your kite from too low as well same effect, its all dependent on the conditions! Also, if your hitting a kicker in the surf, you gotta time it so your getting pulled off your edge at the lip, but also want to be getting pulled up the face.

The tricky bit isnt going big its coming down well! Anything over the 10m mark pretty much have to loop out of (that I've found anyways), else you just dip your ass in the water.

Just seeing if anyone here has experienced same **** but on ONE of my kites I have found that the way to get the most height out of the kite was to totally release centerline tension up to the point of taking off the water (with a massive downwind carve). But every other kite (all C-shaped) have been as you have described... much speed as possible, send hard from 10 to 2 then correct on ascent...

With all due respect, WA winds have more punch being colder and less humid than QLD, look up Boyle's law in wiki....
Im talking how to, not dofferent style kites with a different projected areas. Sure a bigger kite will give you more hang time/float, but to boost big, you need speed,and the fastest kite that can not release the tension and go from 10-10:30 to 12-2 oclock will give you the greatest height. A depowered canopy with a larger drag co-efficient will not give you extra height just a longer hang time when you get it right. Its just aerodynamics.

I just started this thread, as a lot of guys were asking. Wind co-efficient is not linear but exponential. just like trying to stop a car at 60 or 65km.......theres a big difference.

Getting a kite that is out of its wind range to boost properly requires punching the bar out early on the upstroke, so you dont get ripped off the water too early and hence a downwind glide.

ericsmith
NSW, 39 posts
21 Nov 2012 8:09PM
Thumbs Up

dave...... said...

I know this topic has been done to death, but when I came in at a beginners spot so many people wanted to know how to. Please add things Ive missed.

1) Go fast... Dip your kite hard low and get it back in the window and bear down-wind between a broad reach and your normal upwind tack. This will give you speed, the more speed the better transference of inertia. (Make sure no one is downwind of you for a long time)

2)As you are about to launch, 3 things to consider..... bring your kite to lunch as quick as you can WITHOUT taking any tension off the lines, this creates inertia from forwards to up.

This is about edging slightly higher into the wind before take-off and not turning any bow-SLE too quickly.

Second, its load and pop- Most places theres chop, a perfect launch gives you another 3-6m. Keep the kite at 45, adjust the angle up and just pop off chop . See how high you can get without sending the kite..

So is that sheet out when sending the kite up to 12 and once the board has left the water sheet in?

giBiLatoR
QLD, 147 posts
21 Nov 2012 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

dave...... said...
With all due respect, WA winds have more punch being colder and less humid than QLD, look up Boyle's law in wiki....
Im talking how to, not dofferent style kites with a different projected areas. Sure a bigger kite will give you more hang time/float, but to boost big, you need speed,and the fastest kite that can not release the tension and go from 10-10:30 to 12-2 oclock will give you the greatest height. A depowered canopy with a larger drag co-efficient will not give you extra height just a longer hang time when you get it right. Its just aerodynamics.

I just started this thread, as a lot of guys were asking. Wind co-efficient is not linear but exponential. just like trying to stop a car at 60 or 65km.......theres a big difference.

Getting a kite that is out of its wind range to boost properly requires punching the bar out early on the upstroke, so you dont get ripped off the water too early and hence a downwind glide.

Oh yeah I didn't mean anything from that comment other then matt is a ****ing nutcase, the man is well known for his attempted jump over the currumbin rock wall (gopro caught it all) and what not. I understand our winds are ****, bloody 15knots and most of us are only just thinking about pumpin.

As for the how to, it has to be directed at a certain type of kite though, as I said generally these steps give excellent step by step instructions on how to go big. But to get the most out of any particular kite you have to know that kite... and how to squeeze the most out of it! These rules only apply to being powered as well. I have a 10m canopy that at 18 knots with that method I would barely leave the water as I generate too much apparent wind and lose the edge but the best jumps I get out of the kite are around the 25 knot mark where I slow down my speed and kite movements and concentrate on getting the most out of my board and combine that with a rising kite, under say 18 knots this thing can only attain small jumps but overpowered I can get some insane height out of it.

Just food for thought, your well and truly far more experienced a kiter then me. Im definitely not criticizing more just trying to add to the debate. Apologies if you took that the wrong way initially bro.

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
21 Nov 2012 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

Nah mate not taken the wrong way gib, Any your 18knot QLD wind for me was 12m weather. 18knots in Perth, a 9-10 is the same power....

And yes eric, sheet out just enough to keep tension on the lines and sheet in at 12 or a little over depending on your kite, sheet in and POP.

Chop slows you down. Big chop makes jumps so hard to time.

vader
NSW, 418 posts
22 Nov 2012 1:43PM
Thumbs Up

bs i weigh 90 kgs and can boost huge up to 28 knts on my 12m but prefer 9m over 22knts. so not true!!!!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Oh my......How to boost big." started by dave......