Forums > Kitesurfing General

Old Bar - Muddies - Kiteboarder riding Area - New

Created by skite > 9 months ago, 23 Dec 2010
skite
NSW, 16 posts
23 Dec 2010 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,

After over 18 months of "discussions" , negotiations and compromise we (Club Mud) have finally come to an agreement to trial a kiteboarder riding area.

The map attached is what will be posted around the lagoon and on forums to get the word out. Please make every effort to spread the word and abide by this riding area as it is guarenteed that the rangers will be
watching us closely. This map will be revised every season depending on sand bar locations and the entrance location.

Thank you to everyone who wrote letters and especially the Sydney and Newcastle crews who gave us some strength in numbers advising the amount of tourism revenue kiteboarding brings to Old Bar. This made it difficult for the Parks and Wildlife and The Land and Property Management to restrict us altogether. Thanks also to the locals who gave support in fighting for our cause (and did it diplomatically.) And thanks to Barrier signs for doing the artwork and printing the signage off their own backs.

At this stage it looks like we still have a fairly decent area to ride, the fact that restrictions have been enforced surely means that this will be an ongoing concern. The more support we get from all kiteboarders who use Muddies the better our chances of keeping it this size.

Club Mud is open to memberships again - this year the membership fee is free to attract as many visiting members as possible.
A $25 donation to the club will get you a 2010-2011 t-shirt and a little tern sponsorship. (Email me with your size and Ill send you bank details to deposit money)

Please forward this email to anyone you know who kiteboards and ask them to join the club - they can email me with their details and Ill include them. (Strength in Numbers !)

May the trade winds blow and the cyclone swells roll on in.

Happy 2011.

Stu Wilson
Club Mud
info@kitemuddies.com.au

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
23 Dec 2010 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

good work

graceful
WA, 773 posts
23 Dec 2010 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a sweet spot , good stuff

wdric
NSW, 1625 posts
23 Dec 2010 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

If you have a 4wd, are you still allowed access to the beach area on the eastern shore drive up and rig in this area?

Thanx for your hard work in keeping this spot open

cheers

ric

skite
NSW, 16 posts
24 Dec 2010 12:10AM
Thumbs Up

wdric said...

If you have a 4wd, are you still allowed access to the beach area on the eastern shore drive up and rig in this area?

Thanx for your hard work in keeping this spot open

cheers

ric

Hi Ric,
A good question and we are not absolutely sure, a grey area? 4wd's are allowed along this stretch and it is open to recreation so I think as long as you don't impede on the fenced off area it should be ok. Am sure if we tread lightly on this area it will be ok.

Jeff2231
NSW, 414 posts
24 Dec 2010 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

So this the result of the petition we signed a few months ago? Good work.

skite
NSW, 16 posts
28 Dec 2010 1:01AM
Thumbs Up

Bump !!!

cRAZY Canuk
NSW, 2528 posts
28 Dec 2010 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

Last time I was up there I was asked by the locals not to rig up and launch on the sand spit due to the nesting area. Also if it's high tide depending on the sand it can be hard not to rig across the 4wd route.

Probably safest to stick to the highlighted set up/launch area which is a nice grassy spot.

Good work on keeping the site open Stu and the Muddies.

Robbo2099
WA, 738 posts
29 Dec 2010 8:17AM
Thumbs Up

Nice work guys. Good to see another positive outcome based on rational engagement and level-headed negotiations! Let us know if you need any further help from NSWKBA.

Rob Smallwood
NSWKBA Committee

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Old Bar - Muddies - Kiteboarder riding Area - New" started by skite