Forums > Kitesurfing General

Old Kiters.........Whats it Really Like !

Created by UncleRay > 9 months ago, 15 Dec 2012
UncleRay
QLD, 11 posts
15 Dec 2012 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

What's it like being a 74 yo Kiter ..Well its Bloody Awful ! Cause everything is more fatiguing and seemingly more complicated. For example I've lost a record amount of hearing aids,forgetting to remove them before hitting the water! If we oldies are seen to be parked in Nuetral for a long time it's just that we are urinating so leave us be. I get grumpy as young kiters need to understand with out question seniors always have right of way. Young ones will see me pumping up my 17 sweat pouring off and bordering the need for CPR, only to look away and only say Hi when i reach 8psi ! The apparently 'Friendly Wave' Hard to tell without my glasses but i am sure it's configuration consists of a single finger ! Well time to launch ! Countless young kiters standing around..oblivious to the old "Invisible One" who's bridle has snagged and kite is thrashing around only to be noticed by an observant dog who proceeds to attack it ! Time to Land ! Jeeze that was a quick ride ! but i get knackered real quick ! I appear on the shore and like a demented monkey pound the top of my red helmet trying in vain to get attention ! If i was a Hot Chicki Babe there would no dought be a rush of young kiters wanting to grab my leading edge and goodness knows what else! I float helplessly out to sea unnoticed despite my yellow kite Hang on a second ! Perhaps all is not lost ! I think someone gave me a " Friendly Wave"

COL
NSW, 551 posts
16 Dec 2012 1:24AM
Thumbs Up

Good on ya Uncle Ray. I've met you a few years ago up at Malloolaba, Cotton Tree? I think you were giving advice to a 1 armed guy that was trying to get into the sport. At that age you deserve heaps of respect, just getting out there, and you have mine.
cheers
Col

Akwa
WA, 255 posts
15 Dec 2012 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

I think it is fantastic that at that age you are still kitesurfing and enjoying yourself! Absolutely great! I have a 100% respect for seniors on the water.

Where were you kitesurfing today?

taxi
QLD, 416 posts
16 Dec 2012 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

Total respect Ray...

knotwindy
42 posts
16 Dec 2012 6:14AM
Thumbs Up

nice, i feel for you and major respect

i'll bet if you slowly and gently land the kite on their heads, one of them will eventually grab it

Rodno
32 posts
16 Dec 2012 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

knotwindy said...
nice, i feel for you and major respect

i'll bet if you slowly and gently land the kite on their heads, one of them will eventually grab it

Hahaha that's good

UncleRay
QLD, 11 posts
17 Dec 2012 12:02AM
Thumbs Up

A Sincere Big thanks to all you guys who keep an Eye on me ! Especially the Girls that give me CPR during the Downwinder's. LOL

sunseeker
QLD, 1203 posts
17 Dec 2012 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Uncle, good to hear you're still out there kiting. I kited with you a few times about 7 years ago with Tony when I was learning. Many people may not realise that you started at the beginning of kiting with 2 line Wipika kites when you were in your early 60's (correct me if I'm wrong) and have a collection of kites from the last 14 years of the sport in your garage.

I'll be sure to give you a hand if I see you out there.
Nick

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Old Kiters.........Whats it Really Like !" started by UncleRay